Doctors Say Tua NOT At Risk For More Concussions | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Doctors Say Tua NOT At Risk For More Concussions

I know this won't appease the numerous stunt doubles for Doctors on here because they have Google but the actual doctors say that Tua with sufficient risk isn't more prone to have another concussion. Yes, that was a run-on sentence but at least it's for a good reason.

"Dr. Joseph Maroon said just because a football player has suffered a concussion, it doesn't automatically place him at a greater risk of another.

Maroon is a neurological consultant for the Pittsburgh Steelers and a clinical professor at the University of Pittsburgh. He’s also a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, which on its website cites the University of Pittsburgh’s Brain Trauma Research Center in saying, “The risk of concussion in football is three to six times higher in players who have had a previous concussion.”

But there are many gray areas in the subject of concussions and for Maroon, this is one of them.

“My caveat: If the brain is not fully recovered, there’s a higher incidence,” he said.

That caveat is critical. The Dolphins’ season just ended, so Tagovailoa could go as long as September without being subjected to contact again.

“Given all offseason with no more contact, the odds are very, very positive that he would be returning next year,” Maroon said, adding he would not have any added concern for Tagovailoa’s well-being."

Dearest Loco:

I “identify” as being a neurologist and I have spent a loooong time on google becoming an expert…..almost an entire hour (except for 2 15 minute breaks I needed to “reset my self because of the violent nature of the subject was traumatic to me).

I'm soooo sure I and people like me know a lot more than the expert in this article. And we will continue our crusade of being social keyboard warrior activists! Tua must retire and move into his parents basements like the rest of us!

Please STOP trying to push your violent agenda on us. The NFL stands for Flag football!

With Loving Regard's,

Biff Harry St. Welllington

Dearest Loco:

I “identify” as being a neurologist and I have spent a loooong time on google becoming an expert…..almost an entire hour (except for 2 15 minute breaks I needed to “reset my self because of the violent nature of the subject was traumatic to me).

I'm soooo sure I and people like me know a lot more than the expert in this article. And we will continue our crusade of being social keyboard warrior activists! Tua must retire and move into his parents basements like the rest of us!

Please STOP trying to push your violent agenda on us. The NFL stands for Flag football!

With Loving Regard's,

So good!!!!

You’re trusting an article from an orthopedic over a neurologist
You might want to check the cited references of the article such as the Mayo Clinic.

Excerpt below.

Risk factors​

Activities and factors that may increase your risk of a concussion include:

• Falling, especially in young children and older adults
  • Participating in a high-risk sport, such as football, hockey, soccer, rugby, boxing or other contact sport
  • Participating in high-risk sports without proper safety equipment and supervision
  • Being involved in a motor vehicle collision
  • Being involved in a pedestrian or bicycle accident
  • Being a soldier involved in combat
  • Being a victim of physical abuse
  • Having had a previous concussion

There are of course many more sources cited and many more not so mentioned. However, it does not change the fact the history is always the best predictor of the future.

yeah but I read somewhere that if you get hit by lightning you're more prone to get hit again and this is not a joke.

Tua had more than 2 in one year. He is the type of player you just breath on him and he will get hurt. He had 3 this year actually. One of them taken out in a stretcher. For his own sake he needs to retire.
One those finheaven MD's that you were referring to @Fin-Loco ....you know, the ones that know more than the actual licensed professionals that examined him.

You might want to check the cited references of the article such as the Mayo Clinic.

Excerpt below.

Risk factors​

Activities and factors that may increase your risk of a concussion include:

• Falling, especially in young children and older adults
  • Participating in a high-risk sport, such as football, hockey, soccer, rugby, boxing or other contact sport
  • Participating in high-risk sports without proper safety equipment and supervision
  • Being involved in a motor vehicle collision
  • Being involved in a pedestrian or bicycle accident
  • Being a soldier involved in combat
  • Being a victim of physical abuse
  • Having had a previous concussion

There are of course many more sources cited and many more not so mentioned. However, it does not change the fact the history is always the best predictor of the future.

Yes...having a previous concussion and not letting it fully heal, will put you at risk for more concussions...

Since you want to quote Mayo Clinic...

If not fully recovered, the risk of a repeat concussion is higher.

Straight from the horses mouth...

Even though I read fins “fans” calling for Tua’s retirement on every thread, I will never stop being shocked by how ridiculous it is that people actually type it into a message board. I might need to get a lobotomy so I can understand their thought process.

Seriously though, we finally have a franchise QB and it feels like half the fan base wants him to retire despite all evidence pointing to the fact that he’ll be fine once given the time to heal his brain. Make it make sense!

I keep thinking of Trent Green,Gus Frerotte
it is Problematic….

Dearest Loco:

With Loving Regard's,

Tua can just identify as someone who has never had a concussion and it’s all good. Nothing more to worry about.

I identify as a good poster on this site. Respect it and don’t be postaphobic.

Seriously though, we finally have a franchise QB and it feels like half the fan base wants him to retire despite all evidence pointing to the fact that he’ll be fine once given the time to heal his brain. Make it make sense!

I don't know your definition "evidence". The reality is that if 100 neurologists reviewed Tua's medical history I expect at least 75 of them would recommend that he retire from playing football.

Yes apparently it is misinformation
This is so very simple:
If you get a concussion and don't give it proper time to heal, then you are prone to further concussions. If you do give it proper time to heal then you are NOT prone to further concussions anymore than the average person.

Back
Top Bottom