Doctors win, "Lemmings" lose! | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Doctors win, "Lemmings" lose!

Concern for Tua's health is an example decency. If yourself (or anyone else here) cares more about winning footbal games than Tua's well being, shame on you.

Tua's health is his concern

Players have had long productive careers after having concussions

I want him back next year as QB1. Saw the potehtial

Concern for Tua's health is an example decency. If yourself (or anyone else here) cares more about winning footbal games than Tua's well being, shame on you.

Real knowledge about Tuas' health can be found in Tuas medical records, not in what you presume is in those records.

Yeah I would tend to want to leave that between Tua and the doctors - don’t ya think? Please don’t tell me that you’re suggesting the Dolphins should just tell him not to play? Cut bait and go get Lamar? Haha - Seems to me that you might’ve posted too soon and then tried to save your position… Gotta think it through first

Those elements are not mutually exclusive. One can certainly care about Tuas health but also prioritize winning. Next season will be the ultimate litmus test.

Yeah I would tend to want to leave that between Tua and the doctors - don’t ya think? Please don’t tell me that you’re suggesting the Dolphins should just tell him not to play? Cut bait and go get Lamar? Haha - Seems to me that you might’ve posted too soon and then tried to save your position… Gotta think it through first

Obviously it's Tua's decision whether he plays football again and I am not sure what is the League's (or the Dolphins) obligation is here. I do find it disgraceful that in the game against the Packers , after his head hit the ground hard, the team's coaching staff allowed him to continue playing.
I consider Tua to have sensational QB skills. But, it's become obvious that he is prone to concussions so I believe he should have retired following the September 29th game against the Bengals.
On this matter football fans have said "the Hall of Fame is filled with guys who have suffered multiple concussions" or "if guys retired after a couple of concussions the NFL would lose hundreds of players a year" or "Tua's a great QB and the Dolphins need him to play". But I don't care what the football fans say. I enjoy football. Some of my life's best memories are having watched my son play the game during his high school years. However it's only a game and not as important as one's health.

Last edited:
Those elements are not mutually exclusive. One can certainly care about Tuas health but also prioritize winning. Next season will be the ultimate litmus test.
I want the Dolphins to win as much as any fan does, but not at the expense of a player's health. What's the relevance and, or "litmus test"of next season? Way back on September 29th it became obvious that Tua was prone to concussions. But he and, or the team was still wanting to test things so Tua ended up suffering another concussion December 25th.
The Dolphins (or any team) should be able to win without having on the roster players who are prone to concussions.

I want the Dolphins to win as much as any fan does, but not at the expense of a player's health. What's the relevance and, or "litmus test"of next season? Way back on September 29th it became obvious that Tua was prone to concussions. But he and, or the team was still wanting to test things so Tua ended up suffering another concussion December 25th.
The Dolphins (or any team) should be able to win without having on the roster players who are prone to concussions.
The litmus test is if:

A. We can protect Tua enough to keep him injury free and in the lineup
B. If Tua can take hits/sacks without getting a concussion
C. If Tua can still perform as well as he did last season when he was concussion free.

If the Dolphins and/or Tua fail in these 3 areas, then we will likely make a decision to move in a different direction at QB. We will also have our 1st round pick back in 2024. My hope is that Tua comes back healthy, and lights it up. And we spend our 2024 1st round pick on another area of need.

Tua situation is crazy .. I just hope everything pan out for him... I don't want see man on 30 for 30 ten yr from now. Complain about concussions or how many time he been hurt

Well for our front office to take a measured approach brings into focus the fact that they have rarely, over the last 20+ years, actually fielded a team that has won anything meaningful. So it's very hard to trust in the front office to fix the Oline or the Linebackers or the Secondary or the Qb situation.

The underlying problem is the notion that the group who is hell bent on keeping Tua, seems adiment that we need a very good backup QB. As if it's just a give-in that Tua will suffer another season ending injury next year and the solution is to have the best back-up QB in the league. This is absolutely a flawed and illogical approach.

If your argument is that Tua is our best option next year, I can understand that statement and it's very likely going to be the case, bc we have little cap room, even less draft picks and the pool of available starters is weak as hell. So I get this argument. But fans like Ray and the "Tua-crowd" seem ready to stand behind Tua if he misses 8 games a year for the next decade and ignore the simple truth that this guy doesn't have the durability to be a starter in this league.

It reads like many of these "real-fans" as they call themselves actually love Tua more than the team. And it makes little sense bc most of them have been fans of this team years before Tua ever got here. Its like he's hypnotized them somehow.

Tua is polarizing, I love the guy as a person and when he's at 100% he's damn good, but he simply can't be counted on. There isn't a single season in College or the NFL where Tua has stayed healthy as the starter. Not a single one. And whenever anyone points this out, they are called Lemmings or Trolls or are told to go root for another team. It's just BS!

The cheerleading from the Tua-croud, when any little announcement is made about him, is obnoxious. If Tua takes a ****, they are ready to throw a parade in his honor. After how many times he's let us down, the cheerleading has just gotten old. To have a thread dedicated to Tua passing a concussion test and to celebrate it like they have just won some sort of self-fulfilling prophesy is hilarious to me.
Was there any other time on this forum when the discussion was about who our backup qb was gonna be? Did we ever worry about that before? No one and I mean no one ever worries about who the back up qb is gonna be. Only tua fans. Thats telling. I wonder if the Tua fans bought a new car and it broke down every week if they'd get rid of it or just buy another car as a backup for when the new car inevitably breaks again?

I think what the doctors are trying to say doesn't actually conflict with most of your rant. Concussions in general are not easily diagnosed. Certainly they are not cut and dry like an ACL or a broken bone. There is no debate that Tua needs to make a big adjustment in how he processes the situation when he's under pressure from the opponent. I am absolutely certain that this will become a major point of his offseason development with both his personal trainer and the team trainer. His size has no effect on that. He's not particularly small - 6'1" and 217 lbs...he's had some ankle issues that were cleared up with tightrope surgery and a very unfortunate and severe hip dislocation that thankfully looks like it has healed satisfactorally. He has not had concussion issues in the past...just this year - where he had a series of concussions in a relatively short period of time. As we are all learning during this journey, that is not good. He showed a lot of fight in trying to take the field and in hindsight, probably came back too early. Now he is healing up and has the time in the offseason to completely re-evaluate how he approaches the position. For the record, he has had a thumb, cracked ribs from a vicious hit in Buffalo by Epenesa (behind the worst Oline in the NFL). Anyway, to say that he can't stay on the field is overblown. He is recovering from a series of concussions in a short period of time. If you accept that he has shown remarkable improvement under McD and a significantly improved OLine (not where we want it but night and day from 2021) then you must accept that he deserves to recover. What you cannot do is compare the concussions to a "befallen illness" because they are not an illness. How you personally handle Tua getting hit in the future is kinda up to you...sure hold your eyes tightly and pray to any God that listens...whatever works for you! The Dolphins are putting their money on Tua and so am I. Sounds like you are too but with conditions...fair enough. Tua can be great - on that we can agree!
“He has not had concussion issues in the past...just this year”

I wish you would do a little research pertaining to Tua and concussions. He was concussed on the play he dislocated his hip while at Alabama in late 2019.

That is 3 known concussion, possibly 4 if you count the Buffalo game ( which I do), in a little over 3 years (Nov19-Dec22).

Tua in fact does have a history of concussions.

I’d rather believe a physician who specializes in fMRI’s and has no skin in the game rather than a bunch of Dr.’s representing the NFL. These NFL physicians are no better than lawyers who get paid to take the stand to refute prosecutorial testimony. 😂

Here is a website from an fMRI physician who has written over 22 peer reviewed articles about head trauma. He states that, “Unfortunately, sustaining one concussion means that you are at risk for more”

While I don’t think Tua will have a long career in the NFL, I do think he will play next season because from a businesses standpoint, he is not making a lot of money next season. I would hope that the Dolphins front office doesn’t pickup his 5th year and I definitely do not want to see a second contract. It is only a matter of time until he is forced to retire. Just my 2 cents. I know, I am just one of the many lemmings on this forum. 😂

Obviously it's Tua's decision whether he plays football again and I am not sure what is the League's (or the Dolphins) obligation is here. I do find it disgraceful that in the game against the Packers , after his head hit the ground hard, the team's coaching staff allowed him to continue playing.
I consider Tua to have sensational QB skills. But, it's become obvious that he is prone to concussions so I believe he should have retired following the September 29th game against the Bengals.
On this matter football fans have said "the Hall of Fame is filled with guys who have suffered multiple concussions" or "if guys retired after a couple of concussions the NFL would lose hundreds of players a year" or "Tua's a great QB and the Dolphins need him to play". But I don't care what the football fans say. I enjoy football. Some of my life's best memories are having watched my son play the game during his high school years. However it's only a game and not as important as one's health.

It has been reported that Tua's doctors say Tua is "no more prone to concussion than any other Human being".

Why in the world would anyone take your medical opinion over a doctor's medical "opinion"?

I have had some serious medical conditions and there is absolutely no question that the doctors saved my life.

I recommend you seek medical advice from a medical professional - they are called psychiatrists! - LOL

Why is Tua is so polarizing with fans?

This old sales saying comes to mind:
”We have a list of three requirements from which you can only pick two: (a.) inexpensive, (b.) high-quality, and (c.) fast development.”

Tua consistently gives us two, but we want all three.
Sorry but I don’t agree with your position that to Tua is prone to concussions. The hit was vicious and it’s completely fair to say that any player in the NFL that got hit that way was likely to have a concussion from it. (IMHO) The doctors have stated that he is not prone to concussions.

Why in the world would anyone take your medical opinion over a doctor's medical "opinion"?

Here is a quote from my previously written post to this thread:

"Hall of Fame QB Steve Young has stated doctors know relatively little about conscussions. I imagine that any ethical doctor will admit this is true."

Sorry but I don’t agree with your position that to Tua is prone to concussions. The hit was vicious and it’s completely fair to say that any player in the NFL that got hit that way was likely to have a concussion from it. (IMHO) The doctors have stated that he is not prone to concussions.

Which hit are you referencing? Tua's suffered at least four concussions already, that is one at Alabama and three while playing for the Dolphins.
How many concussions must he have to meet your definition of "prone"?

Back
Top Bottom