Does anybody remember.......? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does anybody remember.......?

NorFlaFin said:
A dominant running game made Big Ben into a the Rookie of the year(I think).

I agree. When defenses have to worry about the run, especially with Bettis and Staley, the QB, even a rookie like Big Ben is going to have success, thus the importance of having a good running game.

i liked aj feeley this season despite his woes
however, as the season gets farther and farther away
i find myself forgetting how much and for what reason i liked him so much
and i am becoming very attracted to rodgers and smith.

now, i wont make any proclamations about drafting a QB because i havent seen enough of any of them play. but if saban and linehan think that smith or rodgers is good enough, then we MUST draft them. the question is not 'should we draft a QB?', it is ''should we draft smith or rodgers?'.

o i remember my favorite thing about aj feeley:
it was the arizona game this year. jay fiedler got us to third down and a ways and then got hurt. aj comes in with one down to keep the drive alive. this was the one game that i actually got to see at dolphins stadium this year. when the ball was snapped i remember looking around and i couldnt find anyone who was open anywhere, let alone for the first down. and somehow aj threw found bryan gilmore, who i had discounted as being covered, and throw such a laser to the only place he could catch it. even tho gilmore dropped it, i was so impressed with ajs laser and vision, especially in his first snap in weeks on third and long.

personally, as on right now, i say stick with AJ and draft mike williams.

I really think everyone quickly forgot how Feeley got Flambayed due to the O-line last year. He was having to split time with Fiedler in training camp AND PRE_season causing him to be unfamiliar to our hodge-podge system of last year. He had no running game. He had everything working against him. It wasn't until the occasional series that he was able to even show us what he was capable of.

Megatron said:
We shouldn't kid ourselves that we are a lock to get out of the NFL basement this year.
This kind of negativity is not necessary and even worse it's untrue! St. Louis, NE, Carolina, and scores of others went from worst to first.......we can't do it? That's garbage.

inFINSible said:
......the first quarter if the second buffalo game last year?

Remember when Feeley threw for three TDs in that quarter?

Remember why he was able to do it in the first quarter and not for the whole game?

Let me answer that one.....because in the first quarter buffalo's defense was playing us honest and respecting the run for some strange reason.......They weren't blitzing like crazy, they were dropping back into coverage and Feeley was picking them apart.

Of course after that proved to be a fruitless strategy, they ignored all threats of a running game and blitzed the living daylights out of us for the final three quarters, resulting in 5 INTs.

Don't you think if we had a legitimate running game that day, buffalo wouldn't have been able to blitz us relentlessly and would have had to play straight up, like they did in the first quarter?

Well call me crazy but, I'm thinking if we draft a RB that gives us a real running threat, we already have a QB that can light up a defense that isn't sending the house every play.

Have QB....need RB....simple as that.

:D

It seems like a big assumption to structure our draft philosophy and to make all of our conclusions about this football team off one game.

Feeley didn't play any better than Fiedler last year, and we've already seen Fiedler with a marguee running game, it didn't change things dramatically for the season as a whole.

We all witnessed individual games and halves where Fiedler looked good as well, it takes a lot more consistency than a good half or a good game even to make one a great or even a good NFL starter at the QB position.

BlueFin said:
It seems like a big assumption to structure our draft philosophy and to make all of our conclusions about this football team off one game.

Feeley didn't play any better than Fiedler last year, and we've already seen Fiedler with a marguee running game, it didn't change things dramatically for the season as a whole.

We all witnessed individual games and halves where Fiedler looked good as well, it takes a lot more consistency than a good half or a good game even to make one a great or even a good NFL starter at the QB position.

Smith and Rodgers would have looked the same (horrible) last year with no running game, a p!ss poor OLine, a complicated offensive scheme and a very predictable and conservative HC.

inFINSible said:
......the first quarter if the second buffalo game last year?

Remember when Feeley threw for three TDs in that quarter?

Remember why he was able to do it in the first quarter and not for the whole game?

Let me answer that one.....because in the first quarter buffalo's defense was playing us honest and respecting the run for some strange reason.......They weren't blitzing like crazy, they were dropping back into coverage and Feeley was picking them apart.

Of course after that proved to be a fruitless strategy, they ignored all threats of a running game and blitzed the living daylights out of us for the final three quarters, resulting in 5 INTs.

Don't you think if we had a legitimate running game that day, buffalo wouldn't have been able to blitz us relentlessly and would have had to play straight up, like they did in the first quarter?

Well call me crazy but, I'm thinking if we draft a RB that gives us a real running threat, we already have a QB that can light up a defense that isn't sending the house every play.

Have QB....need RB....simple as that.

:D

Excellent post--but I would still take a QB in the first round of the draft

bdmagnum said:
Smith and Rodgers would have looked the same (horrible) last year with no running game, a p!ss poor OLine, a complicated offensive scheme and a very predictable and conservative HC.

You don't know how they would have looked, you can only assume.

We had three QB's play last year, all were either second day draft picks or undrafted free agents, all played on about the same level. I didn't see much from Feeley that we haven't already seen from the failed Fiedler.

Smith and Rodgers are top prospects, who are far better overall packages than any of the three QB's we had here last year were coming out of college. So your comment really has no validity.

BlueFin said:

The diffrence is Feidler couldn't do anything if the running game got shut down. Feeley can. He can make the throws he nees to make. He has proven beyond a doubt that he has an arm and the accuracy to make a defense pay. He needs to find consistency just like any other developing QB and that could mean that he just needs playing time.

It's a pretty safe bet that Feeley will easily surpass Jay Feidler's ability to lead this team and Jay was good enough to just about win more games than any QB in the NFL while he was here. Even a little bit better than that, and we're sitting fat and pretty with a giant chunk of our cap playing in the backfield with Feeley, instead of sitting on the bench for two years.

So if I read you correctly,if your boy Smith doesn't play like a franchise QB after 8-10 games, your just going to write him off as well? I'm just basing this from your judgement on AJ, after playing in a new Offense for about HALF a season.I understand you want a QB, but all I'm saying is we need to give AJ alittle better chance than half the season.

BlueFin said:
You don't know how they would have looked, you can only assume.

We had three QB's play last year, all were either second day draft picks or undrafted free agents, all played on about the same level. I didn't see much from Feeley that we haven't already seen from the failed Fiedler.

Smith and Rodgers are top prospects, who are far better overall packages than any of the three QB's we had here last year were coming out of college. So your comment really has no validity.

Back
Top Bottom