Does anyone else agree with me here?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does anyone else agree with me here??

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I know this might seem odd, but now that he's playing so well, I hope that TODD PERRY wins the RG job over Leon Searcy. Here are my reasons:

1) Perry is more durable. While Searcy hasn't played in two years and should be rested, his body is still starting to wear down. I mean, he's 32. And he's already hurting in camp. I'm just not convinced that he can last an entire season as the starter. Meanwhile, Perry has started 64 straight games.

2) Sort of ties into #1. I think that Searcy would handle a backup role better than Perry (from a mental standpoint). I would feel much better about Searcy coming into a game cold than Perry. I think he would enter the game in a better, more prepared state of mind. Again, I don't feel that Searcy would last the entire season as a starter. So keeping him on the bench will pay dividends in December.

3) Having Searcy, Smith, Spriggs, and McKinney on the bench makes for a deep OL. If we can get deep into the season without having to use Smith or Spriggs, that bodes VERY WELL for their recovery and subsequent effectiveness.

I'm hoping that we move Dixon to LT tomorrow. This move would give us the greatest chance of success and put our five best run blockers in front of Ricky. Lets hope it happens sooner than later.

Okay, am I crazy?? Sound off.

I like both...

Originally posted by Muck
I know this might seem odd, but now that he's playing so well, I hope that TODD PERRY wins the RG job over Leon Searcy. Here are my reasons:

1) Perry is more durable. While Searcy hasn't played in two years and should be rested, his body is still starting to wear down. I mean, he's 32. And he's already hurting in camp. I'm just not convinced that he can last an entire season as the starter. Meanwhile, Perry has started 64 straight games.

2) Sort of ties into #1. I think that Searcy would handle a backup role better than Perry (from a mental standpoint). I would feel much better about Searcy coming into a game cold than Perry. I think he would enter the game in a better, more prepared state of mind. Again, I don't feel that Searcy would last the entire season as a starter. So keeping him on the bench will pay dividends in December.

3) Having Searcy, Smith, Spriggs, and McKinney on the bench makes for a deep OL. If we can get deep into the season without having to use Smith or Spriggs, that bodes VERY WELL for their recovery and subsequent effectiveness.

I'm hoping that we move Dixon to LT tomorrow. This move would give us the greatest chance of success and put our five best run blockers in front of Ricky. Lets hope it happens sooner than later.

Okay, am I crazy?? Sound off.

... but deep down I'm pulling more for Searcy than Perry. Searcy is an ex U of M guy, sorry! :)

Oliver...

muck, you make some good points...i will be happy with either searcy or perry... remember,last year was perrys 1st at rg after 7 years at lg...i am just concerned about lt...i am not convinced that spriggs or smith are ready or capable at lt...i just hope that dixon could make the move...

yes even though i dont think its time to panick yet .. why are you so sure dixon can make the move to lt? he was injured last year again and i feel that it is a gamble moving him ...Im not sure he is one of the best o linemen we have this year as compared to a couple years ago when he definatly was the best .I dont think its as easy as you guys make it sound .LT will be a concern of course but lets see how spriggs and smith look after a few preseason games ...

You're not crazy but i think it will come down to the pre-season games... Searcy will have to play great to take Perry's spot after what he shows since the beginning of the camp....

I think Dixon has the quickness, the power, the discipline (technique), and the talent to move over to LT and do an adequate job. At least as good as Smith or Spriggs. Plus, moving him into space and out of the scrum would likely decrease his chance of injury.

From what we're hearing, Nails has played too well to stay on the bench. So something has to be done.

Well thing about Dixon is his injury wasn't like Smith's. Smith's and Spriggs' injury, you never know if a guy is going to come back from that. The injury Dixon had, you have a very good chance of being able to come back from and returning to form. So the thought is, his injury last year doesn't hurt his chances much for becoming as good as he use to be. So the #1 threat is still the neck/back problems he's always faced, and moving him to LT will help alleviate those, its not theory on that one its fact. Doesn't mean he won't injure those at LT, just that he most definitely has less chance of doing so.

So the injury questions can kinda be put aside and the only question is, was his style of game suited for LT? I think so. He doesn't have ideal height or ideal wingspan but there've been adequate and pretty good RTs without 6'5" inches of height and a 10 foot wingspan. Whats important is speed and technique. Dixon has always been the fastest to fire off the line week in and week out, and his technique has been called by the media, perhaps the best in the NFL. He doesn't have brute strength, but do you need brute strength so much at LT? Not in my opinion.

At the very least given the Brent Smith troubles, its worth it to move Dixon over during camp and see if he can handle it as well as in theory he should. You never really know until you try, and Jamie Nails has GOT to get in that lineup.

I also hope that Perry elevates his form to what we thought when we signed him. He's signed longterm and is fairly young (compared to Searcy). This is probly Searcy's swan song season.

Dixon's injury was for a time considered career threatening. He is still having to take time off because of it. I don't think you can put aside the injury issue. In fact the injury is the reason he isn't the LG now, it's the reason they resigned Nails. Interesting take from Mandich on this-

"Talking about the Oline, he said Brent Smith is getting a bum rap from fans. He said that Smith faces JT everyday in camp and practiced against the Freak for a week and held his own. There are maybe 2 or 3 other DEs as talented as JT and Kearse right now. He said Dixon is fighting for his life for his starting job. He said Nails is the real deal and Dix has not regained the explosiveness he had prior to the injury"

The only person who ever considered Dixon's injury to be possibly career threatening, was Mark Dixon...the most pessimistic self-beating player I've ever seen in the NFL. The doctors themselves likely looked at him in shocked disbelief when he said he isn't sure if he'll ever come back from it. I know the coaches certainly did. Go ahead if its within your power, and check every single archived article about Dixon's injury and I dare you to find anyone with credence besides Dixon who suggested that the injury might ACTUALLY be career threatening, and that doesn't count reporters who suggested that DIXON might think his career is over.

Dixon does not have the explosiveness he usually has. That much is a fact. However, it will come back simply with time. It might not be back til the regular season, but there's really no school of thought with credibility to say that it won't be back at all.

One thing about Leon is that he knows all of the ins and outs of the position, in addition to all of the tricks therein. The other thing about him too is that he knows how to play dirty. Not necessarily illegal mind you, but mean and powerful enough to make you think twice before trying something on him again. He is a big mammoo to get around as well.

I agree that Leon is a wily vet and will go till after the whistle stops. But I don't think he knows all the ins and outs of the position. After all, he's never played guard. It's a brand new position for him.

But he DOES know all the ins and outs of the RT spot. That's for sure.

Prior to anyone talking to Dixon, it was written about as a career threatening injury. I know Dixon looked at it as well but prior but that was after itr was already described as that.

I DONT CARE IF MARK ROYALS TAKES THE SPOT!!!!!!! WILL THE SEASON JUST START ALREADY?????? LoL :)

seriously, i really like searcy, and he is a great player when healthy, he has shown he is about 80% - 90% healthy, and thats pretty good. You cant really make a comment about Perry not starting that he will be mad.... have you talked to him lately and he told you that??? No offense..... just, stick with searcy in the begging while he is still young..... sort of..... then we can use perry and all the other back ups later.......

Back
Top Bottom