Does Gase Trust Tannehill

• YES

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • NO

Votes: 43 82.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That’s very well said.

It's just mindboggling if you watch the Rams games. He sends players deep at every level and rarely has anyone in the 0-8 yard territory other than a checkdown. If its man he creates rub routes or great route combos. If its zone he kills teams with his personnel and splitting them out and scheming. His scheme is like anti-Gase and anti-horizontal. He wants to push the ball downfield almost every play.

I live in Los Angeles so I see a lot of Rams games. He almost is like a Madden player and a genius mixed in one. Goes for the throat consistently from play #1 and gets people open vertically every play.

Dirk Koetter kind of does the same thing but he has 2 quarterbacks who can't deliver. I feel like if Tannehill went to Tampa he would do very well with those weapons and the scheme that Koetter employs.

It's just mindboggling if you watch the Rams games. He sends players deep at every level and rarely has anyone in the 0-8 yard territory other than a checkdown. If its man he creates rub routes or great route combos. If its zone he kills teams with his personnel and splitting them out and scheming. His scheme is like anti-Gase and anti-horizontal. He wants to push the ball downfield almost every play.

I live in Los Angeles so I see a lot of Rams games. He almost is like a Madden player and a genius mixed in one. Goes for the throat consistently from play #1 and gets people open vertically every play.

Dirk Koetter kind of does the same thing but he has 2 quarterbacks who can't deliver. I feel like if Tannehill went to Tampa he would do very well with those weapons and the scheme that Koetter employs.

Well when you add and feature a wr with a skill set like Wilson you are gonna do a lot of make the first man miss east west stuff.

Does it make sense for dvp or speed cut guy like gesicki or stills or grant even? Nope

This offense features the rb on sticks concepts a ton. Primary sticks concepts. Dump the true slot (or dont feature it) upgrade the flex tight end and attack the seams and mid level middle of the field.

I really think what’s missing here the most is the difference maker flex tight end. The guy that dictates coverage

Well when you add and feature a wr with a skill set like Wilson you are gonna do a lot of make the first man miss east west stuff.

Does it make sense for dvp or speed cut guy like gesicki or stills or grant even? Nope

This offense features the rb on sticks concepts a ton. Primary sticks concepts. Dump the true slot (or dont feature it) upgrade the flex tight end and attack the seams and mid level middle of the field.

I really think what’s missing here the most is the difference maker flex tight end. The guy that dictates coverage

I agree we are missing that with a tight end but the Rams literally have nothing at tight end yet get players open all the time. Even with a WR like Wilson you can get him going north instead of East West, he's a very good route runner.

I like Gase but my patience is wearing thin. Even in quarters coverage, how do you not hit that seam route or backshoulder? Its begging to be backshouldered and you don't do that?

I agree we are missing that with a tight end but the Rams literally have nothing at tight end yet get players open all the time. Even with a WR like Wilson you can get him going north instead of East West, he's a very good route runner.

I like Gase but my patience is wearing thin. Even in quarters coverage, how do you not hit that seam route or backshoulder? Its begging to be backshouldered and you don't do that?

There’s got to be some kind of personnel reason behind what we are doing I just don’t know what it is

Based on what I have seen from Gase and how he answered questions, including this one.....it has nothing to do with trust of a person. It doesn't matter who the QB is! He trust his system and what his assessments and research have told him to do in that situation. Personally I think it sucks. In his mind he is playing the odds, but his play calling has no heart or no gut feeling to it. He is very much the same way, very robotic and logical. I actually do not think he is a bad HC, his play calling is just flavorless and predictable. To answer your question, he trusts the QB (whoever it is) to do the play he calls.

He’s seen probowl quarterbacks take a safety there. So I guess he would do the same no matter who was quarterback. To me this is over thinking the situation and leaning towards thinking something bad is the more likely scenario. That’s a mindset that says better to lose later than lose now. He punted. I think most of us, who don’t have our jobs on the line, would prefer the ‘get that first down’ mindset there. Win now. Take it. I think he displayed his thinking there, which as the head coach, is a mindset that will set in with his team eventually. I think that will be a very bad mindset for your football team to have regardless of who is playing quarterback. Hopefully this gets into his brain just like that safety did and he evaluates the risk of fearing the worst.

It's a fair question. I read an article in the Herald that suggested that Gase didn't trust Tannehill, stemming from the loss at Cincinnati. But, I expected the game plan versus Indianapolis to be conservative with Tannehill coming back from an injury. Plus, up to that point the defense had played well.

Obviously, Gase must like Tannehill otherwise I believe he would have advocated pretty strongly for a quarterback in the last draft. Although, it is certainly possibly that other than Mayfield the Dolphins weren't that high on some of the other quarterbacks.

For an aggressive coach like Gase, that is strange to put the game in the hands of the defense though. Especially considering that Luck is at his best in those late heroic situations.

Based on what I have seen from Gase and how he answered questions, including this one.....it has nothing to do with trust of a person. It doesn't matter who the QB is! He trust his system and what his assessments and research have told him to do in that situation. Personally I think it sucks. In his mind he is playing the odds, but his play calling has no heart or no gut feeling to it. He is very much the same way, very robotic and logical. I actually do not think he is a bad HC, his play calling is just flavorless and predictable. To answer your question, he trusts the QB (whoever it is) to do the play he calls.

Agreed. And covers his failure with 'the players didn't execute' I HATE that

the theory is that tanny can only win thru a system which is the dolphin way, and has been for many years.

He’s seen probowl quarterbacks take a safety there. So I guess he would do the same no matter who was quarterback. To me this is over thinking the situation and leaning towards thinking something bad is the more likely scenario. That’s a mindset that says better to lose later than lose now. He punted. I think most of us, who don’t have our jobs on the line, would prefer the ‘get that first down’ mindset there. Win now. Take it. I think he displayed his thinking there, which as the head coach, is a mindset that will set in with his team eventually. I think that will be a very bad mindset for your football team to have regardless of who is playing quarterback. Hopefully this gets into his brain just like that safety did and he evaluates the risk of fearing the worst.

Outstanding post. You can't allow that play not to lose mentality to permeate your football team.

Coaching is a delicate balance of assessing situational odds, but also of understanding the situation itself. You can't just look at league wide stats in a given situation and make decisions based on that information. You also have to consider the situation right then and there. You have to make an honest assessment of your defense overall - and how your defense is playing. Secondly, you have to factor in there's a HOF kicker and Andrew Luck on the other side. It's a different situation if you have two JAG's on the other side.

Furthermore, you don't need a quarterback making $20 million if you're likely to just hand the ball off in those situations because the odds say you should. You don't even need a competent starting quarterback if that's your philosophy. All your resources need to be dedicated to offensive line, defense, and running backs.

Which brings me back to a point I made a while back. There seems to be a disconnect between the way the front office views players and the football team, and the way the coaches coach. You simply cannot have that. Everybody has to be on the same page or you have no shot.

Ran it twice on 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter. Once with the game literally hanging in the balance. What additional info could anyone possibly need in order to come to a reasonable conclusion?
That's why I always say "Gase has no knowledge of situational football".

The last two possessions had two different objectives:
The second to last with 8 1/2 min left had the main objective to run the clock. Gain a few yards, maybe make a 1st down here and there and hopefully you can get into FG range. But even without a FG you want to run as much clock as possible.
What should we have done? run- run - and based on yardage pass or run on 3rd down. What do we do? Pass-Pass (both clock stopping incompletions) and run for a loss on 3rd and 10.

The final possession had only one purpose: yardage. Time became a non-factor. In a worst case scenario in which you have to punt you want to have gained enough yardage to flip the field position and not punt from inside your own 10-yard line to give the ball back to Luck at midfield or worse with Luck only needing 20 yards to get into FG range.
So you pick your best pass plays, hand the responsibility to your "franchise" QB because these are moments which can define a QB. All three plays should have been pass with the exception maybe a run play if we only needed a yard or two on 3rd down.
Instead we run - into a wall; we pass horizontally - into a wall; run for a lousy 4 yards - into a wall when we needed 10.

Two possessions, each with with 3 downs; each with a different purpose and he is 0-2 in making the right decisions.

Personally I am more upset with the possession at 8 1/2 min. If we could have run the clock in that situation the last possession may never have happened.

Gase is known to be bad in situational football. In the past those decisions have gone under the radar while they were spread throughout the game. I think another good example was the 3rd and 1 deep throw against the Bengals which gave their defense a spare oxygen bottle and ended with a complete offensive collapse by us.

Gase is a an OC who needs a HoF QB and a HC who can override these type of mistakes. As a HC he has nobody above him and he is stuck with his decisions. And the simple fact that he defends his decisions in the most absurd way shows you that he is not willing to learn from his own mistakes. He thinks he did everything right. And that is a problem.

BTW, his excuse that calling a pass play could have led to safety is BS. I am not the biggest fan of Ryan but I trust him more on a roll out than running the same draw play inside my own 5-yard line with which we just lost 5 yards on the previous possession.

There’s got to be some kind of personnel reason behind what we are doing I just don’t know what it is

Only two possible reasons, 1.Gase doesn't trust Tannehill 2. Gase is at heart a gimmicky play caller(watch his Chicago offense)

That’s scheme all day long. And outrun angles ask of Gurley run or pass game.

Why Miami couldn’t run that I don’t know other than we lack the battering ram of gurley

U and I both know that ain't the reason. QB ask between the Mcvay and Gase are worlds apart, execution on going downfield on play action is the only similarity.

Back
Top Bottom