Does Grier know who Shannahan wants? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Grier know who Shannahan wants?

I feel like half of you are just reacting to the title and didn't even bother reading the post. Clearly the 49ers are taking a QB. That's not even up for debate!

If Grier knows Shanny is picking Mac, that means Fields or Lance is falling to #6, making the #6 pick more valuable than the Eagles thought (as they assumed 9ers were taking Lance or Fields, meaning the chance of one of them being there at #6 is much smaller).

Organizations don’t share with other organizations who they are picking in advance and it doesn’t even matter if Grier did.

I am operating on the assumption that Grier traded back up to pick 6 to take Pitts, Chase, or Smith.

Practically a given QBs will be taken at 1, 2, and 3.

So Grier most likely won’t trade down with Carolina until after Atlanta has taken their pick at #4. If Atlanta takes a QB or Sewell, I can see Grier on the phone with Carolina as one of the 3 receivers would be on the board, as long as Grier is 100% confident Carolina is trading up to take a QB.

If not, Carolina could snag one of the 3 receivers and thwart Grier’s plans by the Bengals, Panthers and Lions taking the 3 receivers.

If Atlanta (or whoever they trade with) takes a QB at 4 and Cincy takes Sewell that opens up the possibility to reach out to Denver as well on a possible trade. But again there would be a risk Denver, Detroit, and Carolina could snag the 3 receivers and Grier has ended up outsmarting himself.

So in conclusion 😀, I don’t foresee any trade down of the #6 pick until the #4 pick in the draft has been selected and then it is contingent on that not being Pitts, Chase, or Smith.

Last edited:
Organizations don’t share with other organizations who they are picking in advance and it doesn’t even matter if Grier did.

I am operating on the assumption that Grier traded back up to pick 6 to take Pitts, Chase, or Smith.

Practically a given QBs will be taken at 1, 2, and 3.

So Grier most likely won’t trade down with Carolina until after Atlanta has taken their pick at #4. If Atlanta takes a QB or Sewell, I can see Grier on the phone with Carolina as one of the 3 receivers would be on the board, as long as Grier is 100% confident Carolina is trading up to take a QB.

If not, Carolina could snag one of the 3 receivers and thwart Grier’s plans by the Bengals, Panthers and Lions taking the 3 receivers.

If Atlanta (or whoever they trade with) takes a QB at 4 and Cincy takes Sewell that opens up the possibility to reach out to Denver as well on a possible trade. But again there would be a risk Denver, Detroit, and Carolina could snag the 3 receivers and Grier has ended up outsmarting himself.

So in conclusion 😀, I don’t foresee any trade down of the #6 pick until the #4 pick in the draft has been selected and then it is contingent on that not being Pitts, Chase, or Smith.

They do share information with other teams in advance when trading, etc.

...they do not share information with other teams in advance when trades, etc.

...Which is the truth? Anyone know?

Make up your minds! LOL :lol:

@The Ghost @Danny @Digital @1972forever @AdamD13 any chance anyone has a source for the whole "GM's don't tell each other who they're picking when they trade" stuff? I find it hard to believe that two guys striking a deal and getting something they want wouldn't share information that wouldn't harm them and also shows good will. Are you just wild guessing or have you read something to that effect? I'd be interested to read about it, this stuff is really intriguing.

My thinking is if Pitts is there we take him. If not, we trade back a few and grab BPA between Chase, Smith, and Waddle.

If Grier got Shannahan to tell him who he's picking, and it is Mac Jones like all the rumors say, then that could give us added motivation to trade back to 6, as come draft day either Trey Lance or Justin Fields is virtually guaranteed to be sitting there. This makes the 6th pick much more valuable than it would've seemed to the Eagles. Grier may have been wanting to trade out of this pick from the beginning.

All fans know the basis of the NFL is trust. GMs, in this case have to trust one another or the process breaks down. One of the two GMs had to tell the other enough about their goals that the trade could be made. Did SF name a specific player. I'm not at all convinced. Did they say something like 'we're not in the market for a receiver or LB.' Wouldn't surprise me. No team is going to trade down without some assurance the team trading up isn't going to take 'their guy.' Admittedly, that changes if the team moving down will be happy with one of 3-4 guys.
Someone's going to jump in with 'but everyone knows they'll take -----.' No they don't. Not always. Most here have been around long enough to have seen the team moving up make a 'surprise' pick.
There has to be some dancing around in some of the trades. How much specific info is traded, I haven't any idea.

@The Ghost @Danny @Digital @1972forever @AdamD13 any chance anyone has a source for the whole "GM's don't tell each other who they're picking when they trade" stuff? I find it hard to believe that two guys striking a deal and getting something they want wouldn't share information that wouldn't harm them and also shows good will. Are you just wild guessing or have you read something to that effect? I'd be interested to read about it, this stuff is really intriguing.
Yes, it is called my brain.

My thinking is if Pitts is there we take him. If not, we trade back a few and grab BPA between Chase, Smith, and Waddle.

I saw a mock (Lance Z (NFL N)) where Surtain went at #4 & Sewell at #5. If so, it means Pitts is there at #6.

p.s. I'm going to laugh, if the Bengals don't take Sewell. Who then will throw to Chase or Pitts in Nov & December?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a source for this, more just common sense as a negotiator. The GM's role is to be the master of the confidential information business of a team. His scouts generate that info, he amasses it, analyzes it, checks and rechecks it, stacks the board, and constantly works relationships to gain more information while revealing none. His own analysis as a scout is a very distant third in his skill tree to 1) managing people, and 2) managing information. So no GM wants to give away information ... and he doesn't want his team (scouts, etc.) to give any away either. Now, he does authorize some leaks, and there are always speculative media guesses that end up being right, and some intentional leaks. But at the end of the day, it's only the occasional drip of info that gets out. No GM is going to want to ask another GM to give up his info ... so they shy away from it.

What is more likley, IMHO, is that they ask for assurances, such as maybe asking 'are you moving up to get a pass-catcher like a WR or TE?' That is a question that can be less specific but satisfy both sides. Both of these guys know how to build a team, and the value of draft picks, so the only way the 49'ers trade away THREE 1st round picks (2020, 2021, 2022) is for a QB. So no matter what they tell the press, both GM's understand what's going on even without any questions being answered. Just how I see it. No source to quote.

Grier himself said in an interview that GM's ask each other what they're planning to do and who they want to trade up for but that nobody ever tell each other so he's said that himself.

It’s counterintuitive to the entire process to be genuine in the least bit.

If a team told me what they are doing, I’d assume I was being lied to. I’d almost be somewhat disappointed to find out I was told the truth.

Can’t have too many friends in the business, as soon as I hang up that phone after completing the deal I’m hoping SF has two consecutive bad seasons.

No matter what, at #4 one of the following will be available: Fields, Jones or Wilson, maybe more than one but I doubt it. That's when the draft gets interesting. Will Atl take a QB, trade down or take another player? Then we know if anyone wants to trade up to 6th. Cincinnati doesn't usually trade. They take Sewell or Chase.

Back
Top Bottom