Does Miami Have The Least Talented Offense In The Nfl? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Miami Have The Least Talented Offense In The Nfl?

But we don't. The offensive line is 2 solid pieces away from being halfway decent. The tight ends we have are currently a joke.

Miami's two best receivers currently are coming off of injury.

We have no bellcow for a running back.

Our best safety is also our best nickel cornerback.

Our best defensive end is widely considered a draft bust.

This team desperately needs to hit on some draft picks and find some UDFAs that can be long term contributors.

Oh, and lock up our only two assets for the future (Tunsil and Howard)

You're probably right. I prob do look a little too much thru aqua covered glasses. I personally think Drake could be a top back, and ballage showed signs I think he can easily fit the #2 role. I hope that the new staff can actually use geseki right instead of 5 yard ins running parallel the LOS. Stills is a great #2, hopefully money will motivate DVP but it hasnt yet, we heard he was healthy last year just so far in dog house that we said he wasnt aying cause of injury. If grant and Wilson are able to come back, expect a couple of shock the league games from then. Fitz will have no problem throwing deep into triple coverage to try to get then the ball on a breakaway. We NEED 3 OL and a QB for the 2020 season. We can win with our complimentary pieces we currently have on roster. I really believe that. Well other than like I said DLine is ****ed, but that isnt on topic

Yes but we will still find way win 6 to 8 game w that terribly line.

I could be wrong, but I expect the new regime to de-value wide receivers much like New England has since Bill Bellichick has been there. In other words, I think mid to late round picks, smaller, quicker players. Grant and Wilson probably fit the mold of what Miami will be looking for. Just a guess, though. Brian Flores may feel differently about the position.

I wouldn't say NE devalues WR as much as they tend to pick later in the 1st, and they're wary of reaching early. They also had arguably the best position player of the decade at TE, and Gronk largely mitigated that need. Still, they traded a 1st for Cooks and traded a high-end backup/low-end starter in Brissett for Dorsett.

Miami needs a couple reliable targets by the start of 2020. If you can find them later, that's great, but the current group is comprised entirely of complementary pieces. Despite his inability to make a decent rate of big plays, Landry was essential in maintaining possession of the ball/making tough catches/moving the sticks. You want a guy who has that but also has the ability to make big plays. In 2019, I think N'Keal Henry and AJ Brown are the WR's most capable of making good on that ask. Both are probably off the board by Miami's pick in the 2nd, but if either is available, it'd be hard to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't say NE devalues WR as much as they tend to pick later in the 1st, and they're wary of reaching early. They also had arguably the best position player of the decade at TE, and Gronk largely mitigated that need. Still, they traded a 1st for Cooks and traded a high-end backup/low-end starter in Brissett for Dorsett.

Miami needs a couple reliable targets by the start of 2020. If you can find them later, that's great, but the current group is comprised entirely of complementary pieces. Despite his inability to make a decent rate of big plays, Landry was essential in maintaining possession of the ball/making tough catches/moving the sticks. You want a guy who has that but also has the ability to make big plays. In 2019, I think N'Keal Henry and AJ Brown are the WR's most capable of making good on that ask. Both are probably off the board by Miami's pick in the 2nd, but if either is available, it'd be hard to look elsewhere.
Great point on Gronk. The two receivers you mentioned are my top two in this draft.

That said, Arizona is about to draft Kyler Murray.

I disagree that we are good at wide receiver. I struggle to find many teams where we have receivers that would start elsewhere. I like Albert Wilson, but he's had exactly three 80+ yard receiving games in his career. I simply don't see any 1,000 yard potential receivers on the team unless Wilson develops into one.
Fair points. I think the mix of players at our WR position allows you to do a lot of things though. Having said that, we need a go to guy that brings a physical presence to really round it out. I don’t know what happened w Carroo but when he flashed he looked like he could possibly be that type of player.

Great point on Gronk. The two receivers you mentioned are my top two in this draft.

Thanks! They're both excellent fits. The key point for acquiring WR's is figuring out how comfortable you are with the variance. Even if you draft well in terms of talent and fit, a given player may not work out. Teams tend to prioritize some of the wrong things, and that skews it a little, but a lot of 1st Round WR's have underwhelmed. Unless you come across a rare talent, it's probably best to diversify your risk, looking for falling talent on Day 2 and Day 3 and continuing to do it for years, rather than spending a Top 15 pick on one and hoping that he'll make a bad passing game good.

NE hasn't drafted well at WR, but they've done a good job of using other resources to field a good group to surround Gronk. With his retirement, it changes the dynamic. I saw that they brought in Harry. It'll be interesting to see how they try to fill that void.

Thanks! They're both excellent fits. The key point for acquiring WR's is figuring out how comfortable you are with the variance. Even if you draft well in terms of talent and fit, a given player may not work out. Teams tend to prioritize some of the wrong things, and that skews it a little, but a lot of 1st Round WR's have underwhelmed. Unless you come across a rare talent, it's probably best to diversify your risk, looking for falling talent on Day 2 and Day 3 and continuing to do it for years, rather than spending a Top 15 pick on one and hoping that he'll make a bad passing game good.

NE hasn't drafted well at WR, but they've done a good job of using other resources to field a good group to surround Gronk. With his retirement, it changes the dynamic. I saw that they brought in Harry. It'll be interesting to see how they try to fill that void.
Also saw a mock that had them taking AJ Brown. I think I he would be a perfect fit for them. Miami as well.

I don’t know what happened w Carroo but when he flashed he looked like he could possibly be that type of player.

Miami used several picks to get Carroo, then let him sit on the bench. When he did get playing time, they rarely threw the ball to him. But, when he did get the ball, I think that he did a decent job. There was a play late in the season where he reached over the defender and snatched away a certain interception... that was a big-time play! Miami's coaches were clueless when it came to knowing who could do what, and playing guys where they should be played. Carroo clearly had potential, but the idiots in charge couldn't see it. Their failure to see exactly what he could do is just another one of the multitude of reasons why I HATED both the Philbin and Gase regimes!

Miami used several picks to get Carroo, then let him sit on the bench. When he did get playing time, they rarely threw the ball to him. But, when he did get the ball, I think that he did a decent job. There was a play late in the season where he reached over the defender and snatched away a certain interception... that was a big-time play! Miami's coaches were clueless when it came to knowing who could do what, and playing guys where they should be played. Carroo clearly had potential, but the idiots in charge couldn't see it. Their failure to see exactly what he could do is just another one of the multitude of reasons why I HATED both the Philbin and Gase regimes!
Yes that play he totally Mossed the DB and went for like a 70+ yard TD. JAGS don’t make plays like that. He has a thick build / punishing runner w the ball. He also blocked a punt IIR and converted a fake punt snap to him. I would have liked to keep him around.

Yes that play he totally Mossed the DB and went for like a 70+ yard TD. JAGS don’t make plays like that. He has a thick build / punishing runner w the ball. He also blocked a punt IIR and converted a fake punt snap to him. I would have liked to keep him around.

I know! I keep trying to figure out why people referred to Gase as being an offensive genius.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just looking for a realistic opinion as the team heads towards another draft. Look at it by position.

Quarterback
We all know the team is trying to find the quarterback of the future either in 2019 or 2020 (or both). Finding the right player there is critical. As it stands, Miami has Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starter. I admire that Fitzpatrick has a gunslinger mentality and came here for the opportunity to start. But, we all know what he is. Fitzpatrick is a top-level backup and a low-tier starter.

Offensive Line
Tunsil is one of the few building blocks this team has and is already at least a top 10 left tackle in the league. A couple of youngsters could fare better with a new staff like maybe Davis and Asiata. Davis is probably better suited for depth, but he is athletic and can play guard or tackle. Asiata is more of a power player, who doesn't move that well. Perhaps this new offense could be better suited to his strengths. Kilgore is a decent center coming off an injury and is a stop gap at best. I know very little about Chris Reed, the pickup from Jacksonville, but he probably has a good chance to start. Bottom line, Miami needs at least two starters, maybe three. Right now this is a bad unit, one that a young quarterback would struggle behind.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
This is probably a relative strength for the Dolphins, but when Stills is your best receiver you know opposing defensive coordinators aren't losing sleep. I like Stills and I like the speed of the unit with Wilson and Grant. Both are big-play guys, but both are coming off injuries. Parker gets another chance with a new coaching staff. If he has a good season, I'd look to trade him at the deadline. At tight end, bringing in Dwayne Allen should help. I still think Gesicki has a ton of potential and should contribute more. I'm not sure where this unit ranks in the NFL, but it's probably somewhere in the middle of the pack at best.

Running Back
It's hard to say what the team has at running back. I'm a fan of Drake's, but we've got to see more production. Ballage, in limited action, looked good. I think Miami will bring in a rookie who is more of a short-yardage guy, maybe in the later rounds.

Thoughts?

QB...We need help, rightnow we have adequate backup talent.

O-line
...We need at the very least another Guard, Center, and R-tackle. This is potentiality a bad line right now.

WR...Stills, Wilson, and Grant with a good QB is above average...Wilson has potential to be special if he can be more consistent getting open, and Parker like hearing it or not is talent wise, a #1 receiver, with the heart, and injury problems of 3rd rate receiver. If he wakes up, and finally plays hard, he can be a nightmare, but...

RB...Drake has not shown to be as successful as he should, because he was not been given the chance to be the #1 RB, give him a chance, he will impress everyone. Ballage has shown he could be a very talented, hard running RB.

Basically, no, Miami is not the worst Offense in the league, and if they find a good QB that can be consistent, while fixing that line, this could be a very good offense.

O-line
...We need at the very least another Guard, Center, and R-tackle. This is potentiality a bad line right now.

WR...Stills, Wilson, and Grant with a good QB is above average...Wilson has potential to be special if he can be more consistent getting open, and Parker like hearing it or not is talent wise, a #1 receiver, with the heart, and injury problems of 3rd rate receiver. If he wakes up, and finally plays hard, he can be a nightmare, but...

RB...Drake has not shown to be as successful as he should, because he was not been given the chance to be the #1 RB, give him a chance, he will impress everyone. Ballage has shown he could be a very talented, hard running RB.

Basically, no, Miami is not the worst Offense in the league, and if they find a good QB that can be consistent, while fixing that line, this could be a very good offense.

I'm of the opinion the O isn't the worst O, but for different reasons.
QB - I'm not going to enter the discussion except to say no impartial person can claim the OC was a top guy with bad talent. It was an abysmal OC with sporadic talent. Better play-calling would have made the O look better, regardless who the QB was. And what OC genius would assign Gesicki to block the opponent's best pass rusher 1-on-1?
OL - I think the need is 2 OGs as primary with OC/RT as secondary needs.
WR - there were games last year where the talking heads mentioned poor route design (coach-centric) and poor route running (again, coach-centric). People here were posting the same thing. I'm not arguing the WRs are top-of-league, but average receivers with beter route design and better route discipline would have performed better.
RB - part of this gets back to the QB - apparent inability to read the D and change plays. part was, again, poor play-calling. Part was having a decent run game, but, inexplicably, deciding to go pass-heavy on play calls. Part, JMHO, is there were games when it appeared the D knew the play calls and knew the play-change jargon. Part was inept line play. With all that as preface, I think the RBs will be OK if all other problems are resolved.

O-line

An above average quarterback would make a huge difference, but I agree the team probably needs three starters on the offensive line. Reed may be one, but I just don't know. Kilgore is a stopgap and I think Davis is most likely a backup forced into a starting role. I'm not discounting that better coaching could make a difference for some of the younger players and the unit as a whole.

I think the receivers, as a whole, are decent. As to running back, I think the talent is there but it's time to see results. I wouldn't doubt that Miami takes a mid-round running back someone who can get those tough yards. That's my main question with Drake and Ballage.

I think the Redskins have a worse offense than we do. They have no answer at QB and they have a coach that NEEDS to compete to keep his job. Their WRs are really bad, they will be trotting out Adrian Peterson again and Guice may be good, but he's coming off an ACL tear.

When the best "**** it I'm going deep" qb is playing with all the speed Miami has then I doubt they'll be anywhere near bottom of the NFL in offense.

I may have already responded to this...but I agree. At the very least, I don't think this offense will be BORING. It will have spectacularly bad and spectacularly good moments.

Back
Top Bottom