Does Saban Matter? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Saban Matter?

YBell37

Banned
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
First off, let me say I hope he stays. I think its 50/50 at this point. I think its disgusting when another team can throw 10 mil per at a coach under contract and allow this to play out over the last month or two of a team's season but it happens all the time. We did it to LSU. I'm annoyed at the sway and prestige Alabama thinks it has and the way they've conducted this sham hiring process but if they do take Saban away they'll rob Miami of a good coach.

That said, Saban's job performance, especially this year hasn't been stellar.
He had a really bad offseason that led to this six win debacle and doesn't seem to me to get the personnel side of the business. I think like most 6 mil per employees he has too much power in the organization and would benefit from listening more to people like Randy Mueller.

The Jason Allen pick is looking more and more suspect. Tillman getting the nod over him in the nickel is a really bad sign. I thought and read that Allen was playing better but when you lose time to a mediocre player coming off injury its a sign that the coaches have little confidence in you.

Can't imagine how good this D would be with DeMeco Ryans starting on the outside. Lotsa teams passed on him in the first round but I have to think he had higher grades from a lot of scouts than Allen.

We really got nothing else out of this year's draft and I see this as the biggest difference between us and the Jets and Bills. That and having solid QB play.

The free agent signings were mediocre. Hill is a good starter but we grossly overpaid for Shelton and did little else meaningful in free agency.
You have to count on getting two or three big upgrades in the offseason and we failed to get one, IMO.

His coaching has been shaky as well. Don't know how he could let Mularkey's inane playcalling go unchecked all year and Saban's clock mgmt and use of time outs, especially last night has been questionable as well.

It ain't the end of the world if he leaves. Part of me thinks he's not suited for the NFL anyway.

i'd like for him to stay but after what i heard and how the team performed i'm starting to find it highly unlikely he will stay and even if he does stay if we dont reach at least the 2nd round of playoffs next year he is gone for sure he has a good work ethic but it seems like he is stressing all the time it doesnt look like he enjoys being on the sideline during our terrible performances

In the postgame interview, Saban said: "Very disappointed that the players didn't get a win", Does that sound like a coach committed to staying? For all you Saban believers: time for the Kool Aid. Your prince is turning into a frog.

I would love to see some of Dan Marino's fire on the sidelines. He can get it turned around imho............if he wants to take the reigns.

It's hard for a coach to transition from College to Pro Football. It's two different games. Saban was successfull at College. He understands recruiting and play vanilla offense and defense at times and win - constant change of pesonnel demands it. However, vanilla doesn't win for long in the the NFL. There are pros that have coached and played for years. You have to change up and take risks on plays and players. I you play not to lose in the NFL you lose.

Either Saban adjust to this or he needs to go back and coach college. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are great Pro Coaches and Great College Coaches. Saban was on the verge of one of the Great College Coaches, IS HE made for the NFL. Time will tell. Either he stays and we win or lose, or he goes back to college. If he stays and continues to lose we'll learn he's not made for the NFL, and he returns to college. If he stays and wins, he can do both.

Either way I think we're at least two or three years away from being a stong competitor. We have too many holes to fill. Yes that means JT and ZT will be gone more likely.

The team needs rebuilt the right way. Go young and develop the players. Let them grow with the staff. Look at the 49ers, that's the approach they took and they're farther along than us. Then we'll be competitive for a long time, because of youth, experience, and depth. A system will be in place to get the players the team needs on a consistent basis.

But the first step is for Saban to lose the GM role, let Mueller do that. Let Saban coach. But if this happens I don't think Saban will stay. Look at Seattle's Coach, he's doing great now that de doesn't have to worry about personnel issues.

In the postgame interview, Saban said: "Very disappointed that the players didn't get a win", Does that sound like a coach committed to staying? For all you Saban believers: time for the Kool Aid. Your prince is turning into a frog.

What the hell does that prove???? NOTHING. This thread is laughable.

First off, let me say I hope he stays. I think its 50/50 at this point. I think its disgusting when another team can throw 10 mil per at a coach under contract and allow this to play out over the last month or two of a team's season but it happens all the time. We did it to LSU. I'm annoyed at the sway and prestige Alabama thinks it has and the way they've conducted this sham hiring process but if they do take Saban away they'll rob Miami of a good coach.

That said, Saban's job performance, especially this year hasn't been stellar.
He had a really bad offseason that led to this six win debacle and doesn't seem to me to get the personnel side of the business. I think like most 6 mil per employees he has too much power in the organization and would benefit from listening more to people like Randy Mueller.

The Jason Allen pick is looking more and more suspect. Tillman getting the nod over him in the nickel is a really bad sign. I thought and read that Allen was playing better but when you lose time to a mediocre player coming off injury its a sign that the coaches have little confidence in you.

Can't imagine how good this D would be with DeMeco Ryans starting on the outside. Lotsa teams passed on him in the first round but I have to think he had higher grades from a lot of scouts than Allen.

We really got nothing else out of this year's draft and I see this as the biggest difference between us and the Jets and Bills. That and having solid QB play.

The free agent signings were mediocre. Hill is a good starter but we grossly overpaid for Shelton and did little else meaningful in free agency.
You have to count on getting two or three big upgrades in the offseason and we failed to get one, IMO.

His coaching has been shaky as well. Don't know how he could let Mularkey's inane playcalling go unchecked all year and Saban's clock mgmt and use of time outs, especially last night has been questionable as well.

It ain't the end of the world if he leaves. Part of me thinks he's not suited for the NFL anyway.

Just a little question you might have an answer to.
What happened to YBell yesterday...he seemed lost the whole game and
got beat quite a few times for big plays.I guess his strong point is not in coverage but is in run support...to bad Jason Allen has to be one of the biggest disappointments in the NFL for "first round talent."

Is Allen's problems more mental than physical???:confused:

With our secondary having so many problems what does it say when Allen
cannot even break into the starting lineup??? :(

Anyone else in the first round having a sub-par year like Allen???

Last but not least...What are the Dolphins paying Allen to be
a "special teams player?"

If he leaves I wont shed a tear. If he does stay here he needs to grow balls soon.

NO, it sounds like somebody who is saying "Farewell"

Just my humble opinion: you'd better look for a new coach, because Saban is gone . . . he cannot stand adversity of any kind, and is going to bolt.

just my own humble opinion

Just a little question you might have an answer to.
What happened to YBell yesterday...he seemed lost the whole game and
got beat quite a few times for big plays.I guess his strong point is not in coverage but is in run support...to bad Jason Allen has to be one of the biggest disappointments in the NFL for "first round talent."

Is Allen's problems more mental than physical???:confused:

With our secondary having so many problems what does it say when Allen
cannot even break into the starting lineup??? :(

Anyone else in the first round having a sub-par year like Allen???

Last but not least...What are the Dolphins paying Allen to be
a "special teams player?"
Acually his strong point is pass coverage. He has played well all year, but last night wasnt his shining moment.

Do you guys realize that not 1 of our draft choices from this year have really contributed significantly? Hagan plays sometimes, and Allen plays ST, but thats it. Awful draft this year IMO. The only player I really like is Hagan

Acually his strong point is pass coverage. He has played well all year, but last night wasnt his shining moment.

Do you guys realize that not 1 of our draft choices from this year have really contributed significantly? Hagan plays sometimes, and Allen plays ST, but thats it. Awful draft this year IMO. The only player I really like is Hagan

No it isn't at all. His strength is being a solid hitter and gambling which alows him to make big plays. His weakness is clearly his pass coverage, and for the reasons we have seen this season (blow coverages, over-aggressiveness) he did not start over Tillman this season.

And your favorite player from this years draft is the guy who has probably dropped as many if not more passes than he has caught? Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

After witnessing last nights blunders in the 4th quarter, not sure what to think. Going into the season I found myself questioning several of Saban's decisions especially the Culpepper signing. The draft was a crap shoot but there were several players that I would have chosen over Allen.

It appears that he was only looking for players that he recruited or wanted to recruit while in college. I agree that he needs to start taking more advise from others like Mueller when it comes to talent evaluation. The only way his stay with the Dolphins is successful is if he gives up some of his control over personnel decisions.

I believe what Nick Saban needs right now is a Don Zimmer, that is to say, a knowledgeable pro coach or right hand man similar to what the Yankees Joe Torre had during their championships. If he continues like this next year (assuming he's still the coach) it's over.

Back
Top Bottom