Does the Minor signing signal a change in our draft strategy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does the Minor signing signal a change in our draft strategy?

Megatron

The POFO bully.
Reaction score
Just a thought, perhaps our running back strategy is totally different than the view on here. The media has pratically knitted Ronnie Brown a Dolphins jersey already, they are so sure we'll take him. Then out of the blue we bring back Travis Minor for depth. Why? I thought Saban liked a certain type of back and that our new offense will need a franchise back? Not so from the looks of things.

I believe that we will have a running back by commitee just like the Vikes. I think Saban's interest in Ricky returning is a smoke screen and misleads the other GM's into thinking we are set at running back. That means we will not need Ronnie Brown or Benson or Caddy with the #2 pick. He's trying to create value for our pick, while still covering his bases be bringing in serviceable backs to play specific roles, in a rotation.

Genius.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I think we will try and trade down, and take Merriman and a RB!
That's what I was saying, that this "must pick a RB at #2" may be a bunch of bologna.

Another thought on this is that Saban is trying to show that we will pick a player that other teams are hoping will slip through to them, like Smith or Edwards, Rodgers etc. This will create a bit of a panic because we WERE a cinch to take Brown.

I really think he will explore trading down, just not sure anyone will. If we stay at #2, I see it between (Brown, Smith or Edwards).

Who would I take? I'm not sold on AJ, so I would think strong about Smith, but Brown and Edwards may be to good to pass up. We still have Ricky hanging over our head, so that would say Edwards.

But I don't trust Ricky, so I would take Brown.

I think this is just Saban covering his bases...if he can trade down for add'l picks, he probably will, as that is how he said he wanted to build the team...if he does, there is no guarantee that we can get the back we want in the 3rd round, although the draft is deep with RBs. This way, if he does trade down and Arrington or Morency or Barber are not available or he wants another player in that round, we still have something. Linehan's offense can operate with the RB-by-committee as evidenced by the Vikes success at it. Minor is a compliment to Gordon and Morris...Getting 400-500 yrds from each of those guys will serve the same purpose of a Brown as a feature back....

On the other hand, this just may be a ploy to throw other teams off our scent....He shows interest in the QBs, lets all the draftniks believe that we are going after a RB, and perhaps he goes with Merriman, Johnson or Shazor instead ?? Who really knows...I don't....

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I really think he will explore trading down, just not sure anyone will. If we stay at #2, I see it between (Brown, Smith or Edwards).

Who would I take? I'm not sold on AJ, so I would think strong about Smith, but Brown and Edwards may be to good to pass up. We still have Ricky hanging over our head, so that would say Edwards.

But I don't trust Ricky, so I would take Brown.
There are lots of teams looking for that extra piece to the puzzle to get a championship. Eagles for instance. They have a ton of picks and apparently won't have the cap space to sign all of them. Hmmmm Edwards and Owens.......tantalizing if I was the Eagles GM.

NO, he is not a back we can rely on. He will probably get cut.

Doktor Ivel said:
i think minor could carry the load....
You'd be hard pressed to find 10 people who feel the same way after his "performance" last year. I do however think he's a great change of pace back and third down back.

I have no idea why Minor was even re-signed. It must be a Linehan thing because he showe dno reason to have confidence in him after last season. With Gordon, Minor, and Morris still on the roster, someone is going to have to go. Whether we draft Brown or someone later in the draft, we will draft a RB. Brown would be ideal with Evans blocking for him some of the time.

I don't know. All I know is that Saban and his staff has done a great job of confusing all of us and making us second guess, so the same can probably be said for other GM's and HC's. If nothing else, he has people wondering what his next move will be.

I really think one of three things will happen.

1. Trade down- This hardly ever happens so this is unlikely even if it's Saban's preferred option.

2. Draft Smith

3. Draft Brown

It seems to me that Saban is trying to put us in position to take the best player available and not to draft out of need. Most of his signings so far have been short term contracts. This says to a player play well and you can stay; if not your tenure will be short with little or no cap hit.

Back
Top Bottom