Does the Minor signing signal a change in our draft strategy? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does the Minor signing signal a change in our draft strategy?

Samphin said:
I have no idea why Minor was even re-signed. It must be a Linehan thing because he showe dno reason to have confidence in him after last season. With Gordon, Minor, and Morris still on the roster, someone is going to have to go. Whether we draft Brown or someone later in the draft, we will draft a RB. Brown would be ideal with Evans blocking for him some of the time.

I don't know. All I know is that Saban and his staff has done a great job of confusing all of us and making us second guess, so the same can probably be said for other GM's and HC's. If nothing else, he has people wondering what his next move will be.
The offense we'll have may be a pass happy offense with a rotation of Minor, Gordon, Morris.

Let's not come to the conclusion that Minor can't carry the load. Evidently it took a back with special abilities (Ricky) to function in last years offense. With improve line play and a better offensive scheme, our running backs that we have now will be fine. I personally think Minor can carry the load, but with Morris and Gordon he won't have to. If anyone is in danger of being cut, its Gordon.

Ronnie Brown (Or Williams or Benson) + Lamar Gordon + Travis Minor = Fairly solid RB core.

We could also keep Morris and Evans, and have them battle it out at FB.

Considering that we also have Frerotte and Feeley, things will look up in our backfield if we take Ronnie Brown. Brown's certainly my guy right now.

I don't think it signals anything....

RB T. Minor can play ST's, and RB. He's not going to start, but in case of emergency, he's worth holding onto...

I think we'll see S. Morris moved into a more FB type of role under Linehan, and if that's the case, that would leave us with only RB's Gordon / Minor on our roster right now. Adding RB R. Brown would most likely push one of those two out. That is unless Saban wants to keep Minor around on ST's....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Samphin said:
I have no idea why Minor was even re-signed. It must be a Linehan thing because he showe dno reason to have confidence in him after last season. With Gordon, Minor, and Morris still on the roster, someone is going to have to go. Whether we draft Brown or someone later in the draft, we will draft a RB. Brown would be ideal with Evans blocking for him some of the time.

I don't know. All I know is that Saban and his staff has done a great job of confusing all of us and making us second guess, so the same can probably be said for other GM's and HC's. If nothing else, he has people wondering what his next move will be.

Morris will be listed as a backup FB. Gordon is a between the tackles guy good for short yardage. Minor is the ONLY guy on the roster that fits Linehan's system of hitting the hole quickly (Think LaDanian) on draws, Swing plays and screens. IF WE DO DRAFT A RB, it can only be Ronnie Brown. He's the only guy with enough speed to work here. But I doubt we'll get him.

If I was Sababn I would ask Linehan what he would need to be successful and I believe that he would Say "Randy Moss or the closest thing to him." So if we drafted Braylon Edwards (WR) who is tall and fast and a playmaker then we'd finally have speed on our WR corps (Booker and Chambers are BOTH considered possesion receivers) and someone to stretch the defense the way Moss did for the Vikes.

It's the one pick that energizes the offense.

I think it's Edwards after we slide down 2 or 3 spots and pick up a 4th or 3rd rounder.

We'll all know in a month!

perezferia said:
If I was Sababn I would ask Linehan what he would need to be successful and I believe that he would Say "Randy Moss or the closest thing to him." So if we drafted Braylon Edwards (WR) who is tall and fast and a playmaker then we'd finally have speed on our WR corps (Booker and Chambers are BOTH considered possesion receivers) and someone to stretch the defense the way Moss did for the Vikes.

It's the one pick that energizes the offense.

I think it's Edwards after we slide down 2 or 3 spots and pick up a 4th or 3rd rounder.

We'll all know in a month!

IMO Linehan would answer a QB. And b/c of his familiarity with Smith, I think Smith would be the guy. What I wonder though is would Saban listen or would he go with Brown (who Saban called a difference maker while at LSU)?

Flexability

Travis Minor's contract is for vets minimum salary. Gives Saban flexabilitity to trade down or maybe someone will want Lamar Gordon for a certain draft choice. One other factor is that Travis Minor also plays special teams. If he does not work out for the Phins, he can always be cut.

BLITZKRIEG said:
I don't think it signals anything....

RB T. Minor can play ST's, and RB. He's not going to start, but in case of emergency, he's worth holding onto...

I think we'll see S. Morris moved into a more FB type of role under Linehan, and if that's the case, that would leave us with only RB's Gordon / Minor on our roster right now. Adding RB R. Brown would most likely push one of those two out. That is unless Saban wants to keep Minor around on ST's....

PHINZ RULE!!!
Morris was the most effective runner we had last year. Morris, Gordon and Minor would be a decent enough core of runners to get the job done. Evans will take care of the FB duties when they arise. The way the offense was set up in Minny was with the threat of pass to Moss, teams had to double him which means they couldn't put 8 in the box often. None of these backs are guys who can dominate against 8 man run defense plays. They can do well against 6 man run defense plays when we have three receivers on the field, assuming we create a threat down field that warrants a double team.

PoorRichard said:
Travis Minor's contract is for vets minimum salary. Gives Saban flexabilitity to trade down or maybe someone will want Lamar Gordon for a certain draft choice. One other factor is that Travis Minor also plays special teams. If he does not work out for the Phins, he can always be cut.

I agree..

PoorRichard said:

Exactly. Its called keeping your options open. Signing Minor doesnt mean a shift in draft strategy...it simply means Saban wont be FORCED to follow a specific strategy if a better option becomes available.

I loved what Morris showed last year, and he should certainly be utilized even more in Linehans offense. He's a M. Anderson type FB/RB, and he can do alot after initial contact as well. A hard working, very commited player who Saban / Linehan will love...

I really can't wait to see how they put all of this together....

Hey Training Camp???....Hurry Up Already!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

BLITZKRIEG said:
I loved what Morris showed last year, and he should certainly be utilized even more in Linehans offense. He's a M. Anderson type FB/RB, and he can do alot after initial contact as well. A hard working, very commited player who Saban / Linehan will love...

I really can't wait to see how they put all of this together....

Hey Training Camp???....Hurry Up Already!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!
That's how I see it too. I just wanted to throw something out there to people on how some of the minor moves (puns are funny) can mean more than they seem.

Anyone notice Saban has not said one word (That I can remember) about Gordon???

I dont think RB @ #2 is a lock before or after Minor resigning.

Back
Top Bottom