Does This Kid Asiata Have Any Hope Of Stepping In And Doing Well? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does This Kid Asiata Have Any Hope Of Stepping In And Doing Well?

Missing on a 5th round player had nothing to do with bad talent eval or player development. It’s just a 5th rounder that didn’t pan out. Every team has it happen every year.

I think there's a portion of the fan base, seems the same with other teams and other sports too, that really get over hyped about a Dolphin draft pick, free agent or trade acquisition and really pump that player up to be much better than other players drafted in that range and then when the player performs on par with other league wide draft picks in that range the fan base feels like the player failed instead of expectations being set too high.

And of course I know some NFL Hall of Famers have been drafted in the 5th,6th or 7th round, but you go into the process knowing more players selected in those rounds won't make.

The simple fact that this dude is NOT in the immediate mix at LG is at least partial evidence that our talent acquisition and/or talent development is bush league -- certainly on the OL. Kinda like bulimia...

There's a reason we've been crap as a franchise for so loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

I suspect MOST teams miss on R5 picks. Let's not make this a Miami thing

Because he was actually a 5th round pick and 1 game into his second season. The league is full of players who became serviceable NFL players after not showing much year one.

Yeah, no doubt. Except Asiata has shown zero progress and perhaps regression. Most likely out of football by year 4. Just the reality - he doesn't deserve his own thread.

Yeah, no doubt. Except Asiata has shown zero progress and perhaps regression. Most likely out of football by year 4. Just the reality - he doesn't deserve his own thread.
the guy doesn't have good feet. you dont just learn that

the guy doesn't have good feet. you dont just learn that

Whatever the reason, I just don't understand why this guy gets SO much attention... they took a flyer on him essentially and it seemed like since day 1 he has been horrible... I mean, remember his rookie training camp/preseason they already knew he was a disaster by the way they/he talked about his situation.

I don't mind the miss... it's just odd people are still holding onto this guy when he has never once shown even a glimmer of hope.

Quite embarrassing to read some of these posts. The practice squad has a purpose: to practice. Some linemen need longer than others and it is not unheard for a linemen to spend a year or two on the PS to fine tune his technique. I doubt that any of us has seen enough to make an evaluation about him being a bust or future probowler. I'd rather have him on the practice squad and see if the coaches can coach him up than dropping him and he might succeed a few years down the road with another team.
And I shouldn't mention that some of you don't even know how old he is.

Quite embarrassing to read some of these posts. The practice squad has a purpose: to practice. Some linemen need longer than others and it is not unheard for a linemen to spend a year or two on the PS to fine tune his technique. I doubt that any of us has seen enough to make an evaluation about him being a bust or future probowler. I'd rather have him on the practice squad and see if the coaches can coach him up than dropping him and he might succeed a few years down the road with another team.
And I shouldn't mention that some of you don't even know how old he is.

I could get on board with everything you said here. With that said, this practice squad player who has shown nothing at this point still does not deserve a thread. He's on the practice squad. Can't even crack the roster at a position of need. I know we're horrible but let's not stew in our own despair.

I could get on board with everything you said here. With that said, this practice squad player who has shown nothing at this point still does not deserve a thread. He's on the practice squad. Can't even crack the roster at a position of need. I know we're horrible but let's not stew in our own despair.
I agree he doesn't deserve a thread unless someone watches him at practice. We don't know what his progress is or is not. We don't know if he has certain goals on the PS to reach or not and if he does how far away is he from these goals?

None of us has any idea what his status is. Nada. Asiata is outside the public view and only the coaches close to him know what his status is. Just because he is on a position of need there is no need to throw him out there if he is not ready.

Asiata should not be a subject unless we have inside info, see him play or he is being traded or released.

The reason this dude has a thread is because what we know of him is a void that is a vacuum of personal opinions of the player, the position, the general manager or the coach. All we know is Miami needs a Guard, this guy was drafted to play Guard, didn't do what is required of a NFL starter or back-up, was cut, and fortunately for him placed on the practice squad.

Asiata was projected to go much higher than the 5th round after winning the Pac-12 Best Offensive Lineman award. Glad we didn't take him any sooner. At 25, you're probably not improving your footwork a hell of a lot. Sounded like he did play better in camp this year than last and that's a positive. He's a Larsen injury away from seeing game action.

Last edited:
Asiata was projected to go much higher than the 5th round after winning the Pac-12 Best Offensive Lineman award. Glad we didn't take him any sooner. At 25, you're probably not improving your footwork a hell of a lot. Sounded like he did play better in camp this year than last and that's a positive. He's a Larsen injury away from seeing game action.
Agree with this. Offensive line sometimes takes the longest time to develop. Kieth Sims arguably the best guard Miami has had in the past 20 30 years took year 2 before the light bulb went on. Anyone remember Andrew Greene from Indiana we drafted in the 2nd round for instance. Calling a guy a names because he doesn't live up to a fans expectations is kinda sad too.

Can you imagine the number of people who told the exact
same thing to a guard who played for us named Larry Little

He went undrafted then traded to us after 2 seasons and managed to make the pro bowl 5 times,all pro 1st team 5 times,all pro second team 2 times...and the NFL's hall of fame

Little was a key contributor to the success of the Dolphins' punishing running attack of the early and mid-1970s, which featured Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris, and Jim Kiick as well as two superbowls

I'm not saying in any way shape or form Asiata
will/could be the player that Little was, I'm just
saying there were little expectations regarding Little
by other people.
jim Langer too.

Agree with this. Offensive line sometimes takes the longest time to develop. Kieth Sims arguably the best guard Miami has had in the past 20 30 years took year 2 before the light bulb went on. Anyone remember Andrew Greene from Indiana we drafted in the 2nd round for instance. Calling a guy a names because he doesn't live up to a fans expectations is kinda sad too.

what? he started as a ROOKIE!

We tried to do a Webb-Sims reboot w Milner and Greene that year. What a whiff. JJ managed to trade one of them for Troy Drayton who was very good so there’s that. Rooting for big Isaac to step it up. I can’t believe Sitton is done. The o-line played one of the best games in recent memory last week - strong run game and clean pocket. One weak link and it can all go to pot.

Back
Top Bottom