Dolfanmike's draft thoughts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolfanmike's draft thoughts

Mark me as one guy who says that Chase Young is the #1 player in the draft and that Haskins was... umm... NOT!

I've always hated Ohio State. I remember Woody Hayes and that is enough crap for one lifetime.

Didn't you want Haskins last year?

Yes.

In my experience, Ohio State people (Actually all people from Ohio) seem to think everything in Ohio is better than anything anywhere else.

I went to high school in Gainesville, GA, got my undergrad at FAU, grad degree at FIU, and I worked at UF for a number of years. I live in St. Pete, FL.

Tua, Young and Burrow will likely be off the board for us.

Not with us picking at 4. Cincy takes who they want. Washington and the Giants will give their present rookie QBs a year. The teams around us who would take a QB (Tampa Bay, Denver) would have to lose out to make this a nail biter.

That gets tossed if we win a few winnable games though....

Yes.

I went to high school in Gainesville, GA, got my undergrad at FAU, grad degree at FIU, and I worked at UF for a number of years. I live in St. Pete, FL.

So last year you said nothing else matters other than getting an elite QB.

What changed?

So last year you said nothing else matters other than getting an elite QB.

What changed?

Nothing changed on my part. Circumstances changed. Last year there were only two quarterbacks I would have taken, Lock and Haskins, because Murray was slotted to go #1 overall and we had no shot realistically so it was pointless to talk about it. Last year much like most years was not a deep quarterback class, and the two available quarterbacks were slotted for first round.

The goal is to compete for superbowl, and the pressing need is to get a QB on a four year contract to enter that 4-year window. There was not anyone else worth drafting over a quarterback with the pick we had, nor was anyone worth moving up for other than a quarterback. The pressing need was to get a new QB on a 4-year contract, a must do thing, and enter a new superbowl window. They should have moved up the draft boards in January, early, to get to a spot to get the quarterback, if they were serious about competing. But they were not. They are a gang of criminals whose only goal is to steal paychecks and fk around.

This year the quarterback class is a little deeper, it is different, there are different players in the draft, and our spot and picks are a little higher. It's a different opportunity altogether. The goals and needs are still the same, get the QB, enter a new superbowl window. However, this year, they have three picks in first round.

In 2017 I liked Mahomes and Watson, they had opportunity to move up but did not.
In 2018 I liked Rudolph without qualification and Mayfield and Jackson with an asterisk. Mayfield was troublesome because he was short and took too many sacks and we had to move up to get him which seemed like unnecessary risk, and Jackson because the team would need to revamp the offense to tailor it, and that wasn't going to happen. For those reasons it was a no from me on both players. My point on this forum was to stay pat and let Rudolph fall to you, even though many wanted to move up for Darnold and Rosen, and Allen. I thought that would be stupid when Rudolph would fall right into your lap and he is better than those quarterbacks.
Last year I wanted to move up for Lock or Haskins approaching the draft, and even in January I wanted them to move up to #1 overall, because guys were slotted to go top 10, and they were better than the class before, better than Rosen, Darnold, Allen. They were worth moving up for especially since there was no one else worth taking with the sole first round pick that the Dolphins had, and they would not be in position to draft a good quarterback with later picks.
This year, I think they can get the quarterback later, Anthony Gordon or Hurts, they are slotted to not go high in first round, and those quarterbacks will do. Hence, let's get Chase Young. They have three picks in first round.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom