Dolphin Failure: Revisiting The Way Of The Wolf! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin Failure: Revisiting The Way Of The Wolf!

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
Wolf’s most notable stamp on modern scouting is his view on quarterbacks: While there’s only room for one starter, you can never acquire too many. In Wolf’s world, it is worthwhile to draft a QB every year, no matter the current roster situation. “Looking now from afar, the best quarterback in the game is a sixth-round draft choice [Tom Brady], and that should alert everybody,” Wolf says. “Then you look at what the Cowboys have accomplished with a fourth-round draft choice. I mean, it tells you what you should do. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”

Consider in seven out of eight drafts from 1992-99, Wolf drafted a quarterback, even with Brett Favre entrenched as the starter. “I learned very early in this game, if you don’t have a quarterback, you don’t have a chance,” Wolf said. “We were very lucky that we had a unique quarterback that never missed a game. But that didn’t stop me from drafting in late rounds. It’s the premiere position and you better be able to cover yourself.”

In acquiring extra arms—among them Ty Detmer (1992 ninth round), Mark Brunell (’93 fifth round), Matt Hasselbeck (’98 sixth round) and Aaron Brooks (’99 fourth round), all of whom became starters for other teams—Wolf says he was bringing in players to challenge Favre. But more importantly, he was looking for raw talent to cultivate for backup roles, or to dangle for a trade and acquire even more draft picks.

“As long as you have the good coaches willing to take the time to develop, that model can work,” says Dorsey, who has taken QBs in two of his four drafts with the Chiefs.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...arterbacks-reggie-mckenzie-john-dorsey-120716

This to me is the intelligent way to operate a franchise... prioritizing the games...and team sports most important position.

What strikes me the most...Nay...what pains me the most about the last 25 years of Dolphin history is how they didn’t do this.

Imagine how different Dolphin history would be if they had practiced the “Wolf Way”?

This is not a hindsight is 20/20 blind criticism... this is a criticism of philosophy... you can’t win the race if you don’t Run it!

When the Miami Dolphins entered the 2000 draft...Dan Marino had retired...Dave Wannstedt did not prioritize finding his successor... he just sought a body to plug in.

Now even if you don’t see a prospect worthy of a high pick...a good GM and scouting staff should identify QB’s worth taking a flyer on later.

If the Dolphins had practiced the “Wolf Way”... instead of drafting Ernest Grahm...a forgotten DT...Maybe they would have struck gold in round 6 of the 2000 draft with “Tom Brady” !

DOLPHIN HISTORY CHANGED!

A year later...2001... still without a franchise QB ....in round 1 Dave Wannstedt...ignoring lots of calls from fans for the drafting of Drew Brees from Purdue...drafts a bust cornerback Jamar Fletcher...6 picks before Brees gets selected(He is now the all-time passing yardage leader)

DOLPHIN HISTORY CHANGED!

2005 Draft...Nick Saban takes over...The Dolphins still have not found Dan Marino’s successor...Does Nick Saban the genius practice the “Wolf Way”?... no... he decides to draft a running back who shares the workload with another running back at Auburn and drafts Ronnie Brown #2 overall... he doesn’t take a shot on a strong armed, Marino like release QB out of California named Aaron Rodgers! Green Bay... continuing the “Wolf Way”...drafts him later in the 1st round...despite Brett Favre’s presence!

DOLPHIN HISTORY CHANGED!

2008 Draft...Bill Parcels takes over... still no franchise QB...Does he practice the “Wolf Way”?... no... instead of picking a kid known for winning in the clutch in college (Matt Ryan)... Parcells makes the safe pick and takes a left tackle (Jake Long)

DOLPHIN HISTORY CHANGED!

Look... practicing the Wolf Way does not mean hitting on every pick... your going to miss often... the point is... you scout and prioritize the QB position because of its importance in this game.

It doesn’t mean you pick a 1st rounder every year... it means you scout the quarterbacks every year and take intelligent shots at QB’s that interest you...even if you already have a franchise QB... because injuries happen... and QB’s are valuable trade ammo.

This in my opinion... is the number one reason the Miami Dolphins have failed
So badly for a generation... yes... there are other reasons as well... but nothing ranks higher than failing to take shots at QB’s every year...particularly when you didn’t have a good one.

QB is the most important position in Professional team sports...Ron Wolf got it!

I keep hoping the Miami Dolphins get it!

Imagine how different recent Dolphin history would have been if even one of the above shots had been taken?

It all starts with good QB.
I've never seen a superbowl winning team with mediocre QB after Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer who got carried the great defense. Flacco was good in playoff games so...
Anyway it is much easier and effective to find one elite QB than bunch of great defensive players. And of course theres the HC...

Nick Saban would probably have never left if he had drafted Rodgers over Ronnie Brown... or picked Brees over Culpepper!

DOLPHIN HISTORY CHANGED!

Did you watch the Ross and Grier presser? They’re not going to overpay for high priced FAs and Foles is in that category. I Look for them to find a bridge qb for any rookie coming aboard this team whether that be this year or next. I think that might be one of the reasons they signed Jake Rudock.

Don’t be surprised if Bradford is in the picture.

I would definitely draft a QB every year. Even if we were to have a franchise QB, if that backup QB turned out to look good, trade him for picks.

I agree 100%. We must get in the habit of drafting QB's. Now it is an absolute necessity, but the real test will be when we keep drafting QB's to groom. One of the top 5 QB's will be available in this draft, if we have targeting a mid-tier QB then trade down in the 1st and pickup another 2nd/3rd and have more ammunition to pickup another body for either line. I would suggest 3 DT/DE, 1 QB, 1 CB and 2 Guards in the draft this year.

I agree with the philosophy and premise of Wolf and this thread, but I would load my bullets and ammunition for the draft(s). Hitting on a young, talented QB on a rookie contract is what is most desperately needed as the target goal.

Developing and acquiring homegrown talent is the best way forward in my opinion, but I wouldn't (and don't believe Grier will) overspend on free agent QB's. I get how desperately we've needed a top flight QB, but throwing money at the problem only compounds the matter if he flames out.

I agree 100%. We must get in the habit of drafting QB's. Now it is an absolute necessity, but the real test will be when we keep drafting QB's to groom. One of the top 5 QB's will be available in this draft, if we have targeting a mid-tier QB then trade down in the 1st and pickup another 2nd/3rd and have more ammunition to pickup another body for either line. I would suggest 3 DT/DE, 1 QB, 1 CB and 2 Guards in the draft this year.

5 picks in the trenches, definitely agree with that.

Draft a QB every year - yes. I post this way too often, but we have not had a star QB since Dan. It is time to remedy that, and this is the only way.

Back
Top Bottom