Dolphin Team Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin Team Report

Good article. Guess who wrote it? A friend of some people's on this board...Jason Cole.

I didn't know Tillman and T Bucky jones were our safety's. I thought they'd convert one of our corners. Either way whoever couldn't be as bad as Arturo Freeman though I thought Sammy Knight was average. Yaremia Bell is also a Safety.

Sherif said:
I didn't know Tillman and T Bucky jones were our safety's. I thought they'd convert one of our corners. Either way whoever couldn't be as bad as Arturo Freeman though I thought Sammy Knight was average. Yaremia Bell is also a Safety.
what was wrong with freeman???? all he did was intercept the ball whenever he was in............

Surely Saban wouldn't move Taylor and/or Thomas just because they lack his ideal size...

Saban said he would still welcome RB Ricky Williams to the Dolphins despite the team drafting RB Ronnie Brown with the No. 2 overall selection. While that sounds good for public consumption, the salary cap reality is that Williams' salary when he returns could be more than $3 million. With Brown expected to get a signing bonus of $14 million, that's likely way too much money invested into two running backs for the team to handle against the cap.
Can anyone further ellaborate this? How would Ricky returning result in 3 million dollars? Isn't he the one who OWES US money? I don't understand how Ricky returning can hurt us against the cap, if anything it should help us with the cap because he'll be the "working off" the money he owes us. I knew this would be a complicated situation, but can't we just give him minimum salary if he was to return? :confused:

painnotpleasure said:
Can anyone further ellaborate this? How would Ricky returning result in 3 million dollars? Isn't he the one who OWES US money? I don't understand how Ricky returning can hurt us against the cap, if anything it should help us with the cap because he'll be the "working off" the money he owes us. I knew this would be a complicated situation, but can't we just give him minimum salary if he was to return? :confused:

He's retired so his contract his off the books. If he comes back his contract is still under the phins control and therefore his salary reinstated. Remember the phins have not released control of his contract. They want $8.6 million for him to get out of his contract.

VanDolPhan said:
He's retired so his contract his off the books. If he comes back his contract is still under the phins control and therefore his salary reinstated. Remember the phins have not released control of his contract. They want $8.6 million for him to get out of his contract.
So if Ricky comes back, his salary is re-instated... he doesn't owe us 8.6 million and we have to pay his salary?? I'm still not sure if I'm understanding this correctly... but if he decides to come back and Saban allows it... would we be able to restructure his contract to a mininum (or reduced) salary to help him pay back the money he owes AND help us with the CAP?

painnotpleasure said:

I have heard that Ricky's return would not help or hurt the phin's salary cap

PatsSuck456 said:
Well that's what I originally had thought that it wouldn't hurt us at all (and in my mind that would be helping us), but I also thought that maybe we'd be able to also sign him to a mininum contract (or reduced) with INCENTIVES as well which would definitely be helping us against the cap.

PatsSuck456 said:

You heard wrong. We still own his contract and his contract goes on the books if he comes back.

painnotpleasure said:

The Dolphins still own Ricky's rights, but I don't think that contract stands anymore, unless the Dolphins want it to. Ricky owes money because he broke his contract. Depending on the wording of the contract, I think the Dolphins are in the driver's seat. It is hard to imagine that they would put wording in the contract that would allow them to collect 8.6M in signing bonus money if he bugged out, but would allow him to come back at full salary.

In other words, Jason Cole is assuming a lot.

rickey wants MORE money not less... he felt he was getting ripped off, thats one of the reasons he quit... theres no way he plays for anything near the min

laxcoach said:
The Dolphins still own Ricky's rights, but I don't think that contract stands anymore, unless the Dolphins want it to. Ricky owes money because he broke his contract. Depending on the wording of the contract, I think the Dolphins are in the driver's seat. It is hard to imagine that they would put wording in the contract that would allow them to collect 8.6M in signing bonus money if he bugged out, but would allow him to come back at full salary.

In other words, Jason Cole is assuming a lot.

Yes the contract stands folks. If the contract didn't stand he'd be free to go whereever he wants. The contract stands and the $8.6 million that is owed would probably be dropped by the team.

Back
Top Bottom