Dolphins added depth everywhere but RB... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins added depth everywhere but RB...

Not an issue. There is no way any team can have depth at every position. Regardless, I think we are good. We have a couple of guys after Drake and Williams who could be decent. The key is injuries and whether one particular unit gets hit multiple of times.

I like Drake. Whether he can hold up to a big workload, well there would have to be some skepticism on that point.

If Ajayi went down, do we really have a guy who can pound it in there with a heavy workload? I have my concerns. Maybe the kid from Michigan goes to the practice squad and gets called up if something awful happens.

More realistically, Gase will have to work his magic in that case. Probably RBBC with Drake and Williams plus Smith. Maybe more short passes for ball control.

I could easily see us pick up another every down back in the mid rounds next year.

Ya I think i've tired everyone's eyes out on what I think about Drake lol

One thing though, Why would we have drafted a scat back in the 3rd? Makes no sense for many reasons.

I still believe if Ajayi didn't emerge as a top RB, Kenyan would get the majority of the carries.

It's hard to unimaginable to think we drafted a RB in the 3rd just to be a 3rd down back.

If so, wow!!

Armando has had some good articles recently ... but IMHO, this is not one of them. He missed the mark with this one. We did not draft depth. We have exactly 1 good pass rusher, so we drafted arguably the 2nd best pass rusher in this draft. He may eventually replace Wake, but make no mistake about it, Harris will start on passing downs. Pass rushers are a vital part of the defense, and calling them depth is wholly incorrect.

Then looking at Raekwon McMillan, this kid is going to start. The only questions are where and when? IMHO, the when will be game 1. The where is harder to identify, but my guess (100% speculation) is that it will initially be at Sam with Timmons manning the middle. Ultimately though, I see McMillan starting at Mike for 10+ years ... but it is unclear whether that will start this year or next.

Tankersley, yes he was brought in sort of as depth, but really it is to be the starting corner opposite Xavien Howard. Maxwell holds down that spot now, and Tank is too raw to compete for it outright this year, but eventually, that is the plan. This is the prospect that requires the most development.

Isaac Asiata is absolutely being brought in to start. He's definitely not a depth pick. If he becomes depth, then Asiata has either gotten injured early or simply flopped. Asiata was chosen to be our starting guard and blow open lanes for the J-Train.

The DT's are depth ... but they're later 5th and 6th round picks! At that point in the draft a team is lucky to get depth. Heck, we were super-fortunate to get a starting quality LG like Asiata in the 5th. The top two picks were 100% need picks to obtain a starter. We just got lucky that for once our need matched up with BPA where we drafted. Our draft was absolutely not about depth. Armondo missed the mark this time.

Free agency was about depth and plugging holes ... but that's what it is supposed to be about. In that process we obtained starters too, but not stars. Starters like the re-signing of Stills and Branch, the acquisition of Timmons and Allen/McDonald at Safety (one will start, and if we have any injuries, both will start at some point). I'd say we brought in Larsen as depth, but only because we drafted Asiata to start. See, there are only so many starting spots ... and we filled them .. with starters.

It must be hard to come up with coherent themes to write pieces every day. I admit this is probably quite challenging. But they can't all be gems. This article is not Armondo's best.

Armando has had some good articles recently ... but IMHO, this is not one of them. He missed the mark with this one. We did not draft depth. We have exactly 1 good pass rusher, so we drafted arguably the 2nd best pass rusher in this draft. He may eventually replace Wake, but make no mistake about it, Harris will start on passing downs. Pass rushers are a vital part of the defense, and calling them depth is wholly incorrect.

Then looking at Raekwon McMillan, this kid is going to start. The only questions are where and when? IMHO, the when will be game 1. The where is harder to identify, but my guess (100% speculation) is that it will initially be at Sam with Timmons manning the middle. Ultimately though, I see McMillan starting at Mike for 10+ years ... but it is unclear whether that will start this year or next.

Tankersley, yes he was brought in sort of as depth, but really it is to be the starting corner opposite Xavien Howard. Maxwell holds down that spot now, and Tank is too raw to compete for it outright this year, but eventually, that is the plan. This is the prospect that requires the most development.

Isaac Asiata is absolutely being brought in to start. He's definitely not a depth pick. If he becomes depth, then Asiata has either gotten injured early or simply flopped. Asiata was chosen to be our starting guard and blow open lanes for the J-Train.

The DT's are depth ... but they're later 5th and 6th round picks! At that point in the draft a team is lucky to get depth. Heck, we were super-fortunate to get a starting quality LG like Asiata in the 5th. The top two picks were 100% need picks to obtain a starter. We just got lucky that for once our need matched up with BPA where we drafted. Our draft was absolutely not about depth. Armondo missed the mark this time.

Free agency was about depth and plugging holes ... but that's what it is supposed to be about. In that process we obtained starters too, but not stars. Starters like the re-signing of Stills and Branch, the acquisition of Timmons and Allen/McDonald at Safety (one will start, and if we have any injuries, both will start at some point). I'd say we brought in Larsen as depth, but only because we drafted Asiata to start. See, there are only so many starting spots ... and we filled them .. with starters.

It must be hard to come up with coherent themes to write pieces every day. I admit this is probably quite challenging. But they can't all be gems. This article is not Armondo's best.

Love the post brother!!! I see things very much like you. We all need to let the Adam Gase process continue and great things will come. The man isn't a loser. He doesn't accept anything half ass. Things like him benching Jay was a sign to show the team anyone is expendable. So, come to work, work hard, reach your potential, and Gase will show the love right back as we seen with Kiko, Branch, and Stills. This team is turning the corner right before our eyes. We have to give our owner credit for the hiring of Coach Gase. This man is the future in NFL coaching IMO.

spot on Digital...not at all worried about RB depth either....god forbid we did lose Ajayi, we simply activate the rookie Deveon Smith and go with Drake Williams and Smith...gotta say Mandos articles as of late haven't been his usual garbage but this one is back to normal for him

I agree it wasn't his best article.

I do agree, though, that the team lacks depth at running back. Don't want to dwell on what the team could have drafted if not for the Carroo trade, but this would have been a nice draft to add a running back even in the later rounds. One of my favorites was Foreman who went in the third right around where Miami would have been picking.

The combination of Ajayi and Drake should be good and that may be enough if there aren't any injuries.

We just need to have a balanced offensive game plan in place every week and we will be fine. Fortunately, we're loaded with weapons in the passing game and we have a very good QB throwing the football. I don't only mean pass/run balance though -- get Kenyan Drake involved more.

Damien Williams is so underrated and under appreciated around here. I'm not mad about it just shocked. People claim to know football, claim to have an eye for talent and then go on to say we're thin at RB. I've seen this all over the board I am not directing this to the original poster by any means.

We have Ajayi, Damien Williams and Kenyan Drake. I like that trio and you never know who will hit the wire. I just don't see a new name coming in and playing more than Williams. Drake is set to get an increased work load so honestly I just don' see how anyone else plays meaningful snaps

3 guys also on the roster:
Storm Johnson Senorise Perry De'Veon Smith

Lets see who sticks

I couldn't be happier with the AJayi-Drake-Williams trio we have at RB.

Young, vibrant players. Drake was the third RB selected last year and very likely should've been drafted higher than the third round.

Much like in college, Kenyan is behind a bruising bell cow on the depth chart which might serve him well in the long run. Drake's skill set is as a hybrid RB/WR and KR so he should get his touches in unconventional ways while still spelling the J-train.

The RB position is one of the biggest reasons for excitement surrounding this team IMO.

Armando is wrong about this one. He should have looked at DT. How are we worse off with two proven guys compared to two rookies at DT? We've seen Drake and Williams on the field. We have not seen Godchaux and Taylor. How many times do you see a 5th round, rookie DT come into the league and take on 30-40% of the defensive snaps? Let alone two of them.

Suh: 85% of the snaps
Phillips: 54% (Gase said he needs more this year)

That leaves about 61% of the snaps up for grabs at DT. Hayes could take on about 20%. Still 41% short.

If Ajayi goes down, we could sign a PS player and split carries between Drake and Williams. I thing Drake would be hard to take off the field though.

Back
Top Bottom