Dolphins Adding Tiquan Underwood To Staff | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Adding Tiquan Underwood To Staff

Believe it or not I played high school football with him at Notre dame high (NJ) in 2001 (I was a senior he was a freshman). He's a fantastic guy, extremely hard worker and legit about moving up the coaching ranks as per a mutual friend (I don't really see him much but when I do he's nothing but a good guy). Last time I saw him he was talking about being pretty bummed about being released by the pats right before the Super Bowl a few years ago (shocker) but said how it was amazing the discipline and one tracked/one goal mind everyone in New England had (again shocker lol). Gonna try and pick his brain next time I run into him!

Please bring the flat top to the sidelines in Miami. Pleeeeeease!!

There is no clear blueprint for a best coach. But, I've noticed that a lot of the best coaches come from fringe players. Guys who recognized they couldn't just get by on superior athletic talent, so they learned everything they could, mastered every technique possible, spent countless hours grinding and analyzing hoping to augment their athletic ability just enough to make the team, or start. Those guys struggled harder than anyone else and they seem to carry over that will to succeed into their coaching. Don Shula was one of those guys. He had experience in an NFL locker room but a nondescript career. Maybe Underwood will be one of those guys too. I'm eager to find out.

Chad O'Shea isn't the biggest name hire, but he may be the one I'm most interested in seeing. That Patriot offense is not filled with great players. Yes, Brady is among the very best, and yes Gronkowski is probably the best complete TE ever, and yes guys like Edelman and Michel are good players, but there's an awful lot of role players playing very well in that offense, and it's not all Tom Brady. I'm curious to see whether Chad O'Shea is actually a budding star at OC … or just another Belichick family tree guy with mediocre production away from Belichick. If he's good of course, he'll leave in a year or two, if he's not, it's just another false dawn. But, this guy is an unknown at a position we really need someone to fix.
What you described in the first paragraph was a big reason I was on the Dan Campbell train for 2016. As you say, Shula fit the profile. What about Doug Pedersen. Most people don’t even remember he was like our’s and GBs 17th string QB for a long time. Let’s be honest, Jim Harbaugh was no superstar in the NFL. Mike Tomlin. The list goes on...

There is no clear blueprint for a best coach. But, I've noticed that a lot of the best coaches come from fringe players. Guys who recognized they couldn't just get by on superior athletic talent, so they learned everything they could, mastered every technique possible, spent countless hours grinding and analyzing hoping to augment their athletic ability just enough to make the team, or start. Those guys struggled harder than anyone else and they seem to carry over that will to succeed into their coaching. Don Shula was one of those guys. He had experience in an NFL locker room but a nondescript career. Maybe Underwood will be one of those guys too. I'm eager to find out.

Chad O'Shea isn't the biggest name hire, but he may be the one I'm most interested in seeing. That Patriot offense is not filled with great players. Yes, Brady is among the very best, and yes Gronkowski is probably the best complete TE ever, and yes guys like Edelman and Michel are good players, but there's an awful lot of role players playing very well in that offense, and it's not all Tom Brady. I'm curious to see whether Chad O'Shea is actually a budding star at OC … or just another Belichick family tree guy with mediocre production away from Belichick. If he's good of course, he'll leave in a year or two, if he's not, it's just another false dawn. But, this guy is an unknown at a position we really need someone to fix.
What you described in the first paragraph was a big reason I was on the Dan Campbell train for 2016. As you say, Shula fit the profile. What about Doug Pedersen. Most people don’t even remember he was like our’s and GBs 17th string QB for a long time. Let’s be honest, Jim Harbaugh was no superstar in the NFL. Mike Tomlin. The list goes on...
Yep, and it's a long list, but at the end of the day, the people who succeed as coaches are all hard workers and insanely focused on their craft. That sort of thing doesn't manifest itself in your 30's when you retire, it's born in you and forged in the fire of your youth through the struggles you tirelessly work at to overcome. As the CBA requires less and less practice … it only cracks the door open that much more for those with that true grinder work ethic and insatiable desire to improve in the film room. Natural ability is great. But nothing really takes the place of hard work.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The New England Patriots have consistently made roster moves the day before games this season. Now, in a tough blow for receiver Tiquan Underwood, they've made one the night before the Super Bowl.

The team released Underwood on Saturday, and promoted defensive lineman Alex Silvestro off the practice squad. The move was not discipline-based, but a pure football decision based on needs specific to the Super Bowl XLVI game plan, according to a source.

http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/stor...-patriots-cut-tiquan-underwood-eve-super-bowl

I actually know Alex's dad..
He was on the Ravens PS following year when they won the SB
A cup of tea in the NFL and he has 2 AFC Champ rings and a SB ring...go figure

I hope he's motivated to stick it to BB in the coming years. BUT..... How much does an Offensive Quality Control coach do really?

Matt Lombardi (Son of Mike) is also being added to a similar position. Was previously working at Baylor under Matt Rhule

Back
Top Bottom