Dolphins | Alleman talks with OL coach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins | Alleman talks with OL coach

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Dolphins | Alleman talks with OL coach
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:21:06 -0800
During his NFL Combine interview, Akron OG Andy Alleman said he spoke with Miami Dolphins offensive line coach Hudson Houck.

NFL | Alleman practicing at center
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:02:04 -0800
During his NFL Combine interview, Akron OG Andy Alleman said he measured a height of 6-4 and a weight of 305 pounds. Alleman started his college career with Pittsburgh as a defensive lineman. He transferred to Akron and moved to guard in 2005 and 2006. Alleman said he has been practicing at center and added, "I got a couple snaps at the end of the Buffalo game last year. It's something I definitely want to be able to do so I can be a swing man."

Good to see our team is talking to some of the talent that can be future Dolphins at the combine

trengths: Plays with good intensity and works to the whistle. Has a quick first step and flashes the ability to beat defenders to the point of attack. Moves well laterally and can reach defenders lined up outside him. Shows above-average range and can turn the corner when asked to pull. Takes adequate angles to blocks, flashes the ability to adjust to the moving target in space and can get into position at the second level. Stays aware when defender doesn't come to him and can adjust to blitzes as well as line stunts. Generally gets adequate knee bend in pass set and flashes the ability to hold ground against bull rushers. Possesses adequate upper body strength and flashes the ability to keep defenders off frame. While undersized, has the frame to comfortably add weight.

Weaknesses: Plays with a narrow base, lacks ideal lower-body strength and isn't going to drive many bigger defenders off the ball. Though has a mean streak doesn't deliver a violent initial punch, lacks elite explosiveness and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Doesn't use his hands all that well, doesn't always play with a wide base and has some problems sustaining blocks. Footwork is inconsistent and has some problems changing directions quickly in pass protection. Lacks elite size and has some problems holding his ground in pass protection when he doesn't keep a low center of gravity.

Overall: Alleman originally attended Pittsburgh and saw action in all 12 games as a true freshman during the 2002 season as a reserve defensive end and on special teams. In 2003, he once again played in all 12 contests as a backup defensive end and on special teams, registering eight total tackles including two for loss. Alleman then sat out the 2004 season due to NCAA requirements after deciding to transfer to Akron. He missed most of spring practice in 2005 because of a leg injury but then moved to the offensive line and started 12 of 13 games at right guard. Alleman played in and started all 12 contests during the 2006 season. Alleman is a former defensive tackle who needs to work on his footwork and get stronger at the point of attack, but his upside is outstanding. In fact, he has the quickness, frame and athletic ability to develop into an effective NFL starter in time. Alleman's stock is soaring right now and it wouldn't be surprising if he's off the board by the end of the first day.

He's the 3rd best guard in this draft. I hope we get him in the 3rd, or that he's there in the 4th.

I don't know, I think Ramirez out of Texas would be a good late-round pickup if we're looking guard.

If we're looking at him as a C, then I'm all for it. I really don't think the mammoth 320lb+ across the line is the way to get it done. We need some mobility there, and I think that allows us to move Hadnot to RG or even use him for depth if Alleman can start at C. L.J. Shelton is vastly overpaid to be a RG, and he's getting up there in age.

Andy Alleman is a very good guard prospect. I saw one long-time scout say that he should be a first rounder. Highly mobile, like Ben Grubbs.

Back
Top Bottom