Dolphins Already Very Active | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Already Very Active

We have waited over 20 years trying to find a franchise QB. We now have more draft capital than any other NFL team. I would obviously prefer not to trade Draft picks away, but if our GM and the other experts fully believe that Tua is the guy then we spend the Draft picks to move up and do it without bitching. The past 20 years in the NFL wilderness should have taught us that you're not in the game unless you have a top QB.

functional word there is 'if.' That's the debate

Let’s just hope it’s not another bunch of guys no one has heard about before.

with 14 picks we will draft at least some players that most people here never heard of before.
We do every year for me. Once we get into the third round I have no idea who anyone is. I only watch college wise, Gators games and bowl games for the most part. Wife would flay me if I turned Saturday into all football like Sundays are.

What he is trying to say is....just picking Tua at 5 is a risk with the injuries ..your doubling down on the risk by giving up draft pick to move up 2 spots.
I 100% understand that point. I'm just saying that it has nothing to do with investing "more picks" and what people are really saying is just don't draft Tua at all, but don't realize it. It has nothing to do with where.

One could make the same exact argument and say that drafting him at 5 is too much of a risk when we could trade down to 8, draft him there, and pick up additional picks.

I'm fully aware that those who understand opportunity cost will know where I'm coming from and those who don't, won't. I'm fine with that.

For those who are not comfortable drafting Tua because of his medical history that's completely ok, but if someone is worth taking at 5 then they're worth taking at 3 regardless of the loss of picks since we're talking about a QB here, not a nickel corner.

I 100% understand that point. I'm just saying that it has nothing to do with investing "more picks" and what people are really saying is just don't draft Tua at all, but don't realize it. It has nothing to do with where.

One could make the same exact argument and say that drafting him at 5 is too much of a risk when we could trade down to 8, draft him there, and pick up additional picks.

I'm fully aware that those who understand opportunity cost will know where I'm coming from and those who don't, won't. I'm fine with that.

For those who are not comfortable drafting Tua because of his medical history that's completely ok, but if someone is worth taking at 5 then they're worth taking at 3 regardless of the loss of picks since we're talking about a QB here, not a nickel corner.

Don't completely agree. There are 'opportunity' costs and 'lost opportunity' costs. Both count. Not taking Tua (or any player) involves a 'lost opportunity.' OTOH, taking Tua involves a 'lost opportunity.' Both are legitimate concerns.

And I'm uncomfortable with "if someone is worth taking at 5 then they're worth taking at 3." I get your point, but let me change that a little. 'if someone is worth taking at 18 then they're worth taking at 3.' Now, I know you (correctly) won't agree with that. My point is any moving up involves degrees. The difference between 18> 3 and 5>3 is a matter of degree, and, thus, opinion. There is no absolute.

With those qualifications, I'm inclined to stay at #5, but, as I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't commit suicide if Miami traded a little capital to move up. Like you, I want a top QB and my judgement will likely change, depending on Tua's medical. For now we agree, but have different ranges of 'acceptable.'

Think we move up to 2 or 3 before the draft, then we move down from 18 (unless a guy like Thomas or Becton are available) to recoup the picks.
I agree with this general tactic. I said at the end of the season, that we should immediately throw our 1c or 2a at Detroit and see if they bite, this was before the positive medical update Tua received and the hype on him beginning to explode, with Burrow's hand sizing thing, the push for Tua will only get greater especially if he aces his next medical. I would try to get to 3 ASAP. I do think we are still in a pretty strong position because there is no one with the capital and QB need to be able to out bid us but the longer we wait the higher the price will be to move up.

There is a lot of value in round 2 and 3 in this draft so trading down with our 1b or 1c, could net us some great value picks, especially since we are in a position to go BPA with so many different team needs.

Media: Dolphins have been very active.

Chris Grier: We have not spoken to anyone about trading up because we haven't met with players yet.

LOL. Gotta love draft season.

You’ve got enough skins to know that he’s full of it.

I mean yeah maybe they haven’t met with players yet sure but parameters for trade haven’t been discussed? Bs

just like parameters for free agent targets haven’t been discussed either I take it. More bs

I am sure they are just gauging teams interest in trading up or down.Letting teams know they will be willing to talk later.

It is still to early to know where you need to be to target a certain player so there would be no point in making moves right now.

And outside the top 5 you really have to wait to see who is one the board to really want to move and to find a trading partner.

You’ve got enough skins to know that he’s full of it.

I mean yeah maybe they haven’t met with players yet sure but parameters for trade haven’t been discussed? Bs

just like parameters for free agent targets haven’t been discussed either I take it. More bs

I don't know what "skins" mean but I also know the media is full of it, as well.

Might as well prepare for the worst: a common story with teams with a lot of picks is they use (at least some of) them to trade up. I won't be mad until it actually happens, but it's a strong possibility.

Back
Top Bottom