Dolphins Analyst: Dolphins "haven't Run Like This Since Don Shula" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Analyst: Dolphins "haven't Run Like This Since Don Shula"

Music to my ears.

I dont see it as a comparison to Shula, but more as a statement as to the state of the franchise since he retired.

Sounds like we finally have a HC that knows how to run things.

I LOVE the idea of hammering the fundamentals. THAT is how it is done, and THAT is what we have seen missing each and every week for a very long time. Missed tackles, blown assignments, sloppy routes, lack of effort blocking, mental errors....I could go on...

Get the fundamentals down first.

No, you shouldnt have to teach these kids fundamentals every damn year, but college is doing a poor job of getting it through to these kids. Too reliant on pure talent.

We are moving in the right direction guys. This year might be rough, but at least we finally have something to look forward to.

It's called being a football coach. We haven't had one of those around for a long dry spell.

I have to completely and respectfully disagree with this statement. Gase, Philbin, Dan Campbell and Sparano did not meet your expectations or didn't win enough games. But they are ALL football coaches and had success elsewhere. Maybe NOT "Head Coaching" material but calling these ex head coaches who had been in the league for many years "Non-football coach is an insult... No matter how much you hate them.

It's called being a football coach. We haven't had one of those around for a long dry spell. The first thing you do is fundamentals. That was one of Gase's problems. He didn't teach or stress fundamentals and therefore his team was a joke. Gase's way is hang in there, keep it close and win, if you're lucky in the 4th quarter. The right approach is to beat the absolute crap out of your opponent for 60 minutes, right from the opening gun. Shula's teams owned the 4th quarter. That's the tradition that we need to get back to and Flores seems to be just the man to bring it back. Well conditioned, intelligent teams that don't beat themselves have a chance to win a lot of games and for starters, that's who we need to be. We haven't been that team in over 10 years. Once you get over that hump you can fine tune things. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get there.

“The Black Don”........Don as in Mafia Don and our old head coach..

To soon? Lol.

Don Shula 328-156, .677 winning percentage and only 2 losing seasons out of 33.

Tom Landry 250-162, .607 winning percentage and 8 losing seasons out of 29.

Bill Walsh 92-59, .609 winning percentage and 3 losing seasons out of 10.

Bill Belichick 54-63, .461 winning percentage and 5 losing seasons out of 7 when QB Tom Brady isn't the starter.

I'll take rings over winning %.

But hey, do you.

Once again they have me at least a little bit optimistic with a new regime. I like what they did so far this year....or what they didn't do. Didn't like all the draft picks but who knows how that turns out?

Flores seems like a good leader and a little more grounded than Gase, who ended up being a bit emo. Flo seems like he can handle and relate to the different personalities. Something Philbin and Gase could not do. Still way to early but that is why he was hired so we'll see.

It seems like I always expect them to be better than they are and I always get let down. maybe this year since I don't expect much, they will surprise us in a good way. It wouldn't shock me. it should at least be entertaining with Fitz (and Rosen) here.

Actually, the team complained, complained and complained … and then started winning. In their interviews the media kept asking them why they always won, and the players kept pointing out that they were better conditioned than the other team and better prepared, so while the other team faded physically or panicked, the Dolphins were a well-oiled machine with plenty of power, speed and stamina left in the 4th quarter to dominate their opponents, and so well prepared that they always out-executed their opponents and were prepared for everything the other team did.

The players repeatedly mentioned their hard preseason as a source of their physical dominance, and wore it as a badge of honor outwardly. And after they started winning, they complained less each year … but every year the rookies complained like crazy and the veterans told them to suck it up and train to win.

Shula's late career flaw was being too loyal to Olivadotti. He should have replaced him with a decent D coach quickly. We'll never know what could have happened with Marino at the helm still in his prime with a halfway decent D.

If that doesn't take care of it, then maybe this will:

Bum Phillips (Wade Phillips' dad) said about Shula, "He can take his'un and beat your'un, then turn around and take your'un and beat his'un."

Undefeated teams. 1, and it was coached by Don Shula and went without its Hall of Fame QB for most of the season, played an away playoff game (rotational basis back then, not home field advantage) in 3-Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh in the snow, went undefeated dominating the game … yet were still underdogs because so many people simply didn't believe.

He built a team on a running game with Larry Csonka, on a passing game with Dan Marino, and when he had neither he came up with a two-headed monster at QB of one running QB--David Woodley--and one passing QB--Don Strock. He managed to draft low almost every year and churn out winning team after winning team. He dominated his division regardless of talent. He was regularly the least penalized team in the league. His teams were very often the lesser talented team yet he won with near-perfect execution, near zero mental mistakes (one season the entire team only had like 7 mental errors for the whole SEASON! … and we know because they kept very close track), superior conditioning (sometimes 5 and 7 times a day they'd practice and Shula didn't allow water or fans on the field), and absolutely the best preparedness of any team in the NFL every year.

Don Shula took a piss-poor expansion franchise and turned it into the winningest major US sports franchise ever … a title we held for a very long time, all because of Don Shula.

Don Shula put his players in a position to win strategically, physically, emotionally, and competitively. He won with inferior talent. When he had top talent, he achieved an unparalleled level of success.

If one is aiming high as a coach, there is no higher goal than to level reached by Don Shula.

Imagine what Shula's overall record, championships, etc. would have been without.....Tom Olivadotti

I'll take rings over winning %.

But hey, do you.

None of them have a perfect season under their belt.
Landry has the same rings as Shula. Walsh only has one more. It's not like they're miles ahead of Shula, so I don't get the attitude.

None of them have a perfect season under their belt.
Landry has the same rings as Shula. Walsh only has one more. It's not like they're miles ahead of Shula, so I don't get the attitude.
walsh got 3 and could of had more if he didn't retire.

Last edited:
Shula is past. great coach in his time. should of had at leased 2 more SB in his time. What is flores going to do. is what important now.

The thing that I really respect about Coach Flores is that he put together a truly great staff of assistant coaches. The fact that a few of the really top assistants under Belichick followed Flores down to Florida speaks volumes about how highly regarded he is. Then he gets in there and bangs home mistake free football, team concept and being in incredible condition. This is the Patriot way and if some rubs off, then great. Meanwhile, Josh Rosen falls our way and we have a chance that our QB of the future is in the fold. I've always preached that you've got to have the big 3, GM, Coach & QB and that once achieved you can compete for Conference Titles and finally Super Bowls. Time will tell if we have any of it together but I'm starting to believe just a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom