Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Trey Flowers DL, Unsigned Free Agent

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Dolphins "like" free agent DE Trey Flowers.
The Jets also have "serious interest" in 25-year-old Flowers, who is a surefire bet to get paid big money as the top pass rusher on the market following the franchise tag frenzy last week. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Flowers is expected to get around $17 million per year. He's going to have a plethora of suitors and is likely pricing himself out of a return to the Patriots.

That's crazy cash for a non QB

Maybe 5 years ago. $17 million is now a standard for the above average to just under elite players hitting UFA at most non QB positions. Elite non QBs are making from 17 to 20 million.

QB money is now $25+ million.

In the end of January there were 3-4 teams with interest in Trey.

Jets, Dolphins, Lions, and I forget the 4th team.

They keep projecting that Flowers might come here but I really doubt it. I'd like to think that Flores and company can make the defense better without breaking the bank. That defense made Flowers imo. Good player but 17mill is a lot for a team rebuilding. The jets do like making the splash so let them spend the money.

Maybe 5 years ago. $17 million is now a standard for the above average to just under elite players hitting UFA at most non QB positions. Elite non QBs are making from 17 to 20 million.

QB money is now $25+ million.

I think we as fans have unrealistic expectations on what players should be paid. And we definitely have a level of ignorance on how contracts work. A deal that averages 17M per season doesn’t necessarily count 17M against the cap everyone season. It also definitely doesn’t mean the player sees all of those dollars, or that any of it is even guaranteed.

There’s a lot of sticker shock when those average annual values are announced.

I like the idea of Flowers. But this is another Suh moment for us. Walk away.

If he wants to come here, then let's see some understanding in the contract money that represents he will trade off AAV for guaranteed money.

We don't need another non-QB dictating our team's salary cap again.

We have to stop "needing" players so much that we force ourselves to pay big money in the wrong moments for players we haven't grown.

This is not the play here.

If we are paying big money, it needs to go to X or LT. NO ONE ELSE.

It is time to do things differently.

I think we as fans have unrealistic expectations on what players should be paid. And we definitely have a level of ignorance on how contracts work. A deal that averages 17M per season doesn’t necessarily count 17M against the cap everyone season. It also definitely doesn’t mean the player sees all of those dollars, or that any of it is even guaranteed.

maybe not at first. cap stuff can be back loaded, but at the end of the day it would hurt who ever signs him the last couple of years of the contract. that guaranteed money will eventually hurt the cap. look at Pittsburg with ABs contract and us with ryan and suhs contracts

More than that . . . .a players contract status also plays a factor. Flowers playing on a 4th round rookie deal with no early extension allows him to command more on the market with their being more bidders and no compensation required. Its how OV got paid 3 years ago on a deal that was $17 million AAV.

Seeing Flowers command a similar deal is, dare I say, a bit reasonable. The guy came to work for 4 years on a $1 million dollar a year deal and never complained.

Meanwhile people prop guys like Reshad Jones and others on a pedastool when these dudes have 2 years left on their deal but no more guaranteed money.

But to your point, it really is about the guaranteed money. The AAV is a great talking point but the structure/guarantees make the deal.

Trey did his part and now he has earned the payday and would be a really great fit in our new defense and allow Miami not to overly focus on DE like they did with Charles Harris.

While I love the idea of his scheme fit and age; I'd pass on numbers being tossed out. Not worth the money for 6-8 sacks per season. He's a very good player in this system and would be a good bridge, until Miami can eventually draft his replacement. But I'd rather pay Howard and Tunsil the serious cash, because they are the better players. Unfortunately as much as I'd love to see Miami sign Flowers, I'm hopeful they'll pass on the expected $17M plus he's likely going to get from teams flush with cash.

It’s tbe market more than anything else.

Don’t have to be top 5 in production or player to be paid like it

With more edge guys getting tagged I don’t even think $17 mil gets it done if he hits the market.

Supply and demand

Back
Top Bottom