Dolphins announce Tua is the quarterback for 2021 | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins announce Tua is the quarterback for 2021

This is precisely the point. And also precisely the same point I've been making. No one expected us to land the #3. Wasn't long ago we were hoping for maybe 10 or 12. The pick @3 changes the game.

Being smart means looking at the pick as a "draft arbitrage" whereby we leverage the QB position (easily the highest VALUE position in the NFL) and bet in both directions at the same time! That's the surest way to "insure" the value of the pick -- and at the same time add high-quality developmental talent into the QB mix.

Point is -- if Tua stalls we have a potential solution on hand. If Tua plays great -- we have quality depth at the most critical/valuable position -- and that value is totally liquid and can be flipped at any time for more yield. You also receive the obvious benefit of legit competition at the position and make the point that EVERY one is accountable and their job is 100% based on performance.

The only "downside" is that you're deferring some immediate gratification for a longer term view -- but you're in no way discounting the pick. To the contrary -- you're potentially enhancing the value and certainly protecting it.

Do that or find a value-driven trade down. But that's an option that's entirely based on a partner --- or hopefully a sucker.

One way or another -- the strategy has to be at least considered IMO.
I would just say that if we were to take a QB, it is not necessarily a "liquid" commodity.

It may be in a perfect situation, like Garrapalo for example, but one of the values of rookie rd1 QBs, is the 5 year rookie contract.

If 2 years pass, that value is diminished.

On the other hand, drafting a QB, without using multiple high picks, is cheap insurance.

I'm not going to be too upset, either way (unless the whole thing is a catastrophe.....lol).

That's interesting. Let me ask you this - do you feel like Grier should keep his job if Tua doesn't pan out and Herbert ends up throwing 35 TD's every year?

Secondly, are you comfortable with Grier trading away that golden bundle for a veteran quarterback should he have to make up for the decision on Tua?

Lastly, are you comfortable with trading Tua to the Saints in exchange for a 3rd round pick? Dolphins need weapons and the fanbase just isn't going to buy into Tua. Do you feel that's fair for both Tua and Dolphin fans?
The last part is silly. Tua had his ups and downs but his story is far from over. And if we're really 100% committed to him then I'm really looking at OL again. Flip Hunt inside -- add a C (Humphrey would be ideal) and get a RT. That interior should (hopefully) give the kid a strong pocket and some space to operate. And of course more punch in the ground game. That's one choice. And that would include trading down -- adding a high-performance RB (Harris, or I like those Tar Heel kids for example) and play-makers. We need take the load off Tua and NOT expect the kid to play hero ball -- optimize the O with him as a "manager." Target a well balanced attack that's efficient if not spectacular.

If they grab a QB @3 then you're not going to have as many resources so the OL might now get as much attention. Either way of course we need more play-makers on O and NOT expect our QB to be a superhero. Grabbing a QB to add talent doesn't mean we're rejecting Tua. So no trade. Though of course the Saints would be a very good spot because Peyton has the OL I'm looking for. Very strong inside out. And Peyton would probably get the best out of the kid.

Grier keeping his job based on Tua really depends on precisely how that decision was made. For example, if Ross was hot for Herbert and your scenario plays out --- then of course he gone!

Trading away for vet QB -- you talking Watson? Other than that I don't know who you're referring. Certainly no older dudes. But I'm not really into that proposition from a fundamental standpoint. I'd rather add developmental talent and keeping building the team.

If Tua was Ross's idea, he would've already been cut.
Still whats going to happen next year when game one at halftime
the Ds have 0 points and 4-5 3 and outs? Against a half decent team.
Like we had SO many Tua games this season? 2 straight completions and you still
have to punt.

I wonder if this announcement makes QB hungry teams less likely or more likely to trade with us for the 3rd pick?

I tend to agree with the philosophy, but I doubt that is the way it will ultimately play out.

I know Ross has said, publicly, that he doesn't weigh in on "football decisions", but I got the impression that he was all in on Tua, and wonder if that doesn't play into the choices going forward.
I understand the logic of basically getting to choose your QB between Fields and Tua but when you do that your saying " hey anyone want the 2nd best QB on our team?" How do you think you are going to recoup anything close to what you paid? We will not sniff a top 5 pick. Hell Josh Rosen was a top 10 pick, the next year he was had for a 2nd rounder.

Granted he did not play well but again I cannot pass on a player like Sewell that can anchor my line for 10 years for an insurance policy. If Fields is better than I won't get what I spent for Tua, not close, think Rosen. If Fields is not the guy then I took a top 3 pick and basically flushed it down the toilet. Not to mention that we are on an upward trajectory now, how long before I trade in one of these QB's to get some draft capital?

No way I draft a QB at 3 unless I believe Fields or Wilson is the guy and know I am going to deal Tua.

offensive lineman you get later in the draft not at no 3 first round.
first round is qb unless you already have a stud and we most certainly dont.

That's interesting. Let me ask you this - do you feel like Grier should keep his job if Tua doesn't pan out and Herbert ends up throwing 35 TD's every year?

Secondly, are you comfortable with Grier trading away that golden bundle for a veteran quarterback should he have to make up for the decision on Tua?

Lastly, are you comfortable with trading Tua to the Saints in exchange for a 3rd round pick? Dolphins need weapons and the fanbase just isn't going to buy into Tua. Do you feel that's fair for both Tua and Dolphin fans?

Tua on the Saints = 30+ Tds per year

Picking a QB in the top 3 is shades of Rivers and Brees, Rivers the “big strong “prototypical” QB and Brees the “little guy” with the “weak” arm......We all know the outcome of what happened ...... for the Dolphins sake I hope they trade down with a QB needy team, otherwise history will repeat itself this time for the Dolphins and not the Chargers.

Last edited:
Your not gonna get Fields at 3 but you have Wilson and he has a gun

I still say Tua will be ok . But your in the driver's seat at 3

If you can’t figure it out, the difference between rehabbing and actually training, we can’t help you.
Don't waste your time. He's a one note wonder that has an agenda. I haven't seen one post by him that isn't about how he thinks Tua sucks.

I tend to agree with the philosophy, but I doubt that is the way it will ultimately play out.

I know Ross has said, publicly, that he doesn't weigh in on "football decisions", but I got the impression that he was all in on Tua, and wonder if that doesn't play into the choices going forward.

I'd be very surprised if Miami went QB at 3. I would be less surprised if they trade down, and if the haul is good enough, that's great, too.

The only wrong answer is drafting a non-QB at 3. I wouldn't be too surprised by this either. But, it wouldn't be the end of the world or anything - just a squandering of resources. The good news is that every NFL team squanders resources, so you're not putting yourself behind as much as failing to put yourself ahead.

As much as I love the Slim Reaper, there are many ways to build a dynamic group of receivers. Look at Buffalo. Gabriel Davis is good, but their main contributors came via trade and FA.

None of this will matter, though, unless Miami signs a much better OC than Gailey. To win in the NFL, you need a QB, an OC, and receivers. You need talent at receiver, but you need either the QB or the OC to be elite, and you need both to be at least good.

I'd be very surprised if Miami went QB at 3. I would be less surprised if they trade down, and if the haul is good enough, that's great, too.

The only wrong answer is drafting a non-QB at 3. I wouldn't be too surprised by this either. But, it wouldn't be the end of the world or anything - just a squandering of resources. The good news is that every NFL team squanders resources, so you're not putting yourself behind as much as failing to put yourself ahead.

As much as I love the Slim Reaper, there are many ways to build a dynamic group of receivers. Look at Buffalo. Gabriel Davis is good, but their main contributors came via trade and FA.

None of this will matter, though, unless Miami signs a much better OC than Gailey. To win in the NFL, you need a QB, an OC, and receivers. You need talent at receiver, but you need either the QB or the OC to be elite, and you need both to be at least good.
I feel right now with the opportunity you go Qaurterback

Tua on the Saints = 30+ Tds per year
Tua doesn't yet understand what being open in the nfl is. Watching Mahommes start 1 game in his Rookie season in the last game wasnt exactly a precursor of his sophomore season throwint for 5k yards but you could see the mechanics being there. Tua looked very lost in some plays but there were other plays where our receivers didnt execute the route well. Mahommes did have a better task but he made plays under pressure a lot better thab tua did.

Back
Top Bottom