Dolphins Are Selling Ryan Fitzpatrick Over Josh Rosen At Qb, But Don't Buy It | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Are Selling Ryan Fitzpatrick Over Josh Rosen At Qb, But Don't Buy It

I like a lot of things Flores is doing and am generally pleased with him as our coach. However, the infatuation with Fitz is concerning for me to be quite honest. Everybody, especially someone who’s coached against him, should know exactly what Fitz is.

It's natural coaches speak really. Brian Flores isn't a long suffering Dolphins fan eager to see his franchises QB situation solved. Everything has to happen organically.

Rosen's first start last season was impressive according to several writers. Running for his life and being bashed senseless does take its toll on a rookie QB with a bad HC and OC and rotating scrubs "protecting" him. He literally went down hill from there as did his confidence

Thursday night he showed pocket presence, elusiveness, perfectly place balls in many cases. How could you not be optimistic?

I've said before, it's better that Fitz starts, Rosen stands next to O'Shea on the sidelines watching, listening and questioning. Finally when Fitz goes into his boneheaded interception stage, let Rosen start. Let's not forget that Darnold was crapping the bed perhaps even worse until his injury when he had a chance to decompress on the sidelines. When he came back in, he was a different QB.

"He who ignores history is doomed to repeat it" ~Geo Santayana. We know from last year that fire by baptism behind a porous line is not way to initiate Rosen. Let him sit/stand for a few games.

Yet we ran a more talented player out of town in Tannehill because he couldn't perform behind the historically bad line, no WRs and horrendous coaching. Rosen needs to play. If we need to lose a couple extra games while he learns then so be it. Winning 6 games instead of 4 this year won't make a difference.

I do think it will play out the way you said though. Fitz will be streaky and get yanked for Rosen. Rosen will get destroyed behind the line and people will want Fitz back. Maybe we get lucky and a contender loses a QB and gives up something good for a Fitz rental. Fitz is the route the Jags prob should have went but now they're tied to garbage foles.

Lions, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Falcons...prob a couple others that if their guy goes down we should be fielding calls.

Are we rebuilding or not?!? Bottom line if we are rebuilding you have to put Rosen in Game 1 and let him play and see what you've got. Starting Fitzpatrick is a move a desperate coach makes to get a couple extra W's to keep his job. This is not what we have been sold. We have been sold to deal with losing because we are rebuilding and then we put in a journeyman QB to get an extra win or two? Thats just nonsense. We traded for last years First round QB to see if he could be a franchise guy so let's see. If we wait a few weeks for the O Line to Gel so he doesn't get killed then that one thing but to play Fitz to get a chance at one or two more wins then it's a waste of a second round pick that could have been used as draft stock to trade up. So play him!!

Yes it is, i want as big of sample size as possible in determining whether to get a QB next offseason or going with Rosen.

That is one of the main objectives of the season is it not?

If *you* (and any number of other poster's here) were the GM and HC of the team, then yes, it would make a difference and clearly be a requirement.

But if the leadership of the organization feel they can judge a player in 12 games instead of 16, then who am I (or other than an arm chair GM) to argue?

More to the point, when you take the emotion out of the equation and look at the current state of affairs with the O-Line, why would you risk repeating history (Ryan Tannehill ring a bell, the impact on Rosen's play last year) by damaging your potential franchise QB by putting him out there before the line has stabilized a little?

Are we rebuilding or not?!? Bottom line if we are rebuilding you have to put Rosen in Game 1 and let him play and see what you've got.

No. I'll refer you to just a few sentences further down in your own post

..... If we wait a few weeks for the O Line to Gel so he doesn't get killed then that one thing

What he said :funny:...

Lets get the O-Line to a level where it's not going to get our HC charged with Pre-Meditated Murder....

Yes it is, i want as big of sample size as possible in determining whether to get a QB next offseason or going with Rosen.

That is one of the main objectives of the season is it not?

I disagree. I get the big sample size, but I don't think that's necessary. Maybe 10-12 will suffice. As most here say, I'm not evaluating on W/L or TD/INT. I want to see progress from his 1st game to his last. I want to see SOLID evidence he's a legit NFL QB with a high ceiling - he won't reach his ceiling this year, even with 16 games. Fans know his physical tools. I want to see how fast he can process mentally - game speed. I want to see him make good decisions and not fold in critical minutes. If he accomplishes that, Flores will know what he has. Run with him or draft a QB in '20. Ross will know in 10-12 games. we all will

If *you* (and any number of other poster's here) were the GM and HC of the team, then yes, it would make a difference and clearly be a requirement.

But if the leadership of the organization feel they can judge a player in 12 games instead of 16, then who am I (or other than an arm chair GM) to argue?

More to the point, when you take the emotion out of the equation and look at the current state of affairs with the O-Line, why would you risk repeating history (Ryan Tannehill ring a bell, the impact on Rosen's play last year) by damaging your potential franchise QB by putting him out there before the line has stabilized a little?

Look i understand we're all arm chair GMs and coaches here but the argument from the authority thing is trite. The leadership has been wrong consistently over the last 20 years or so in their decision making. If their decision is to play Rosen 12 games then so be it, but i can also dissent without having to show some kind of credentials.

The fact of the matter is they invested a 2nd round pick into him a year before a giant QB draft class, there should be a conviction one way or the other by the end of this year whether he's the guy. I would prefer a sample size of 16 games.

I like Flores and bought season tickets after he was brought on as coach and i was informed they were moving on from Tannehill.

I don't buy into the Tannehill victim narrative still being pro-offered here. I'm not going to debate that further as there are plenty of threads that have already delved into that.

I disagree. I get the big sample size, but I don't think that's necessary. Maybe 10-12 will suffice. As most here say, I'm not evaluating on W/L or TD/INT. I want to see progress from his 1st game to his last. I want to see SOLID evidence he's a legit NFL QB with a high ceiling - he won't reach his ceiling this year, even with 16 games. Fans know his physical tools. I want to see how fast he can process mentally - game speed. I want to see him make good decisions and not fold in critical minutes. If he accomplishes that, Flores will know what he has. Run with him or draft a QB in '20. Ross will know in 10-12 games. we all will

Fair enough.

There's nothing there besides a few middling games with Fitzpatrick. There might be some future in Rosen, and given the gravity of next offseason i think it's important to absolutely know what you have with him. I'd like to see him play the full season.

Are we rebuilding or not?!? Bottom line if we are rebuilding you have to put Rosen in Game 1 and let him play and see what you've got. Starting Fitzpatrick is a move a desperate coach makes to get a couple extra W's to keep his job. This is not what we have been sold. We have been sold to deal with losing because we are rebuilding and then we put in a journeyman QB to get an extra win or two? Thats just nonsense. We traded for last years First round QB to see if he could be a franchise guy so let's see. If we wait a few weeks for the O Line to Gel so he doesn't get killed then that one thing but to play Fitz to get a chance at one or two more wins then it's a waste of a second round pick that could have been used as draft stock to trade up. So play him!!

Very good. There's your answer. "if we are rebuilding you have to put Rosen in Game 1." So, if Rosen DOESN'T start game 1, Miami isn't rebuilding. Don't agree with your logic, but if that's yours . . .

Players don't have to start in order to study and improve at their game. That's what I would like to see, improvement, rather than extra game time just so fans can evaluate him more. And if he doesn't improve, then the coaches will replace him (hopefully).

While I'd love Rosen to start the season as the QB, Im OK with Fitz because eventually Rosen will enter. Whether it's g1 or g5, this season is truly about evaluating him to determine next season's path. I so hope that Rosen makes it so don't pick a QB in rd1.

I think you need to start Fitz opening day, not because you think he's taking us to the playoffs or your going to win a ton of games, but it just makes sense. Your going against a tough Baltimore D with our porous offensive line. Fitz will be able to make quicker decisions and would give us the best chance to win which believe or not is the goal of the coach, players and some fans. We got a tough four games before the bye. At anytime, for any reason Fitz could be benched. After a loss, after 2 loses, at the bye, a bad half of football, after a pick...etc. There are going to be plenty of opportunities early in the season to start Rosen.
No matter what we are not going to be good this year. Rosen is only 22, younger than some rookies. Let the offensive line gel some, and he can learn behind Fitz for a couple games.
The worse you can do is start Rosen with our revolving door offensive line and get him injured or break his psyche.
Since Flores made the announcement that Fitz was our starter, Rosen has been better or equal ti Futz in all practices, scrimmages, and games. We don't need 16 games to evaluate Rosen, but we will have a large sample size. Hell, we all anointed Preston the started after a half of the first preseason game.

Let's remember where we are … in the middle of the pre-season evaluation period. By far the lion's share of the evaluation time and evaluated production has happened on the training field. It's fair to say that the preseason games may be more significant evaluation on a rep-for-rep basis, but let's not ignore a thousand reps over the preseason and exclusively rate Fitzpatrick on the pre-season game 1 sample size of only 5 throws.

Likewise, with the stakes higher and the bullets flying, Rosen showed some ability to take a hit and shake it off while continuing to concentrate on playing QB rather than being scared of the rush. That's worth something because up until now the QB's knew they were untouchable red jerseys. And, we want this game to be in context for him as well. While his performance was mediocre, it represented a strong trending up from what we've seen from him in camp thus far. To me, that's his greatest accomplishment in preseason game 1, proving that he's learning and improving, which is exactly what we want from our young signal caller.

If Coach Flo preaches to his players that the best player will start, then he needs to enforce that policy or he risks undermining the team's belief in him as a coach. If he's not going to follow that policy, he needs to stop saying it.

When evaluating who should start, let's look at the entire body of work, not just 5 snaps of preseason game 1. And, let's keep them in perspective with the lion's share of the evaluation, which is pre-season practices. A young QB that starts trending up and learning how to do things correctly is more important info than a veteran trending up. For Fitz, it's the overall production that matters most. For Rosen it's the trajectory and improvement that matters most. Still, at the end of the day, if the projected production doesn't support changing QB's, Coach Flo runs the risk of undermining the team's belief in him if he doesn't start the "best" QB when the regular season starts.

We have two more ever-increasingly-meaningful preseason games to consider. By preseason game 3, we should know our pecking order. Preseason game 4 is unlikely to change that.

Agree with everything except the characterization of Rosen’s performance as mediocre...he had a big mistake....he led 3 scoring drives over 60 yards each.

I think he played better than average and made some big time throws that big time quarterbacks make.

This is all about building a champion, not trying to go .500.

So evaluating Rosen is key....finding the franchise QB is key....if we need to draft one next year we need to be sure Rosen is not the guy....I think he very well could be.

Last edited:
I like a lot of things Flores is doing and am generally pleased with him as our coach. However, the infatuation with Fitz is concerning for me to be quite honest. Everybody, especially someone who’s coached against him, should know exactly what Fitz is.
I agree. Everyone knows what Fitz is. He is a QB good enough To use until our OL can play without killing Rosen or a draft pick QB of the future.

I agree. Everyone knows what Fitz is. He is a QB good enough To use until our OL can play without killing Rosen or a draft pick QB of the future.

the question is, when will the oline be ready (if it even happens this year)? Most people are assuming there’ll be a switch at the bye. I’m not so sure that Flores will do that and if that’s the case, then I’d rather start Rosen now than only give him half of season or less.

Back
Top Bottom