Dolphins Are Selling Ryan Fitzpatrick Over Josh Rosen At Qb, But Don't Buy It | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Are Selling Ryan Fitzpatrick Over Josh Rosen At Qb, But Don't Buy It

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Ryan-Fitzpatrick-750x445.jpg

Ryan Fitzpatrick as the early favorite to be the Dolphins' starting quarterback in 2019? Say it ain't so, Brian Flores.

The first-year Miami coach says Fitzpatrick is in line to start Thursday's preseason opener against Atlanta, also indicating Fitzpatrick has been the leader of the QB race throughout OTAs, minicamp and through the first 10 days of training camp. This despite Josh Rosen showing improvement over the past week and playing well in last Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage.

But Flores better hope Rosen continues to come on and take over the starting role before the regular-season opener against Baltimore. Because if it's Fitzpatrick at the helm, well … we've seen this movie many times before, and it never ends well.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...qb-but-dont-buy-it/1awofq5ktpwrp1t9uwxwwobaod

I like a lot of things Flores is doing and am generally pleased with him as our coach. However, the infatuation with Fitz is concerning for me to be quite honest. Everybody, especially someone who’s coached against him, should know exactly what Fitz is.

I like a lot of things Flores is doing and am generally pleased with him as our coach. However, the infatuation with Fitz is concerning for me to be quite honest. Everybody, especially someone who’s coached against him, should know exactly what Fitz is.
Is it real though? It could be a motivational head game, and by all appearances, it could be working.

I have no problem with that. The thing you want to see from Rosen at this stage is consistency. He played a better game than most of us expected. But he did through a INT and that shouldn't be rewarded. Clean it up, keep improving and before long he'll be the starter.

Based on what we saw last night no one should doubt that. Rosen in well on his way to supplanging Fitz.

This article was posted an hour ago as if we had yet to play the Falcons game. Jeez after last night Rosen is ahead.

Let's remember where we are … in the middle of the pre-season evaluation period. By far the lion's share of the evaluation time and evaluated production has happened on the training field. It's fair to say that the preseason games may be more significant evaluation on a rep-for-rep basis, but let's not ignore a thousand reps over the preseason and exclusively rate Fitzpatrick on the pre-season game 1 sample size of only 5 throws.

Likewise, with the stakes higher and the bullets flying, Rosen showed some ability to take a hit and shake it off while continuing to concentrate on playing QB rather than being scared of the rush. That's worth something because up until now the QB's knew they were untouchable red jerseys. And, we want this game to be in context for him as well. While his performance was mediocre, it represented a strong trending up from what we've seen from him in camp thus far. To me, that's his greatest accomplishment in preseason game 1, proving that he's learning and improving, which is exactly what we want from our young signal caller.

If Coach Flo preaches to his players that the best player will start, then he needs to enforce that policy or he risks undermining the team's belief in him as a coach. If he's not going to follow that policy, he needs to stop saying it.

When evaluating who should start, let's look at the entire body of work, not just 5 snaps of preseason game 1. And, let's keep them in perspective with the lion's share of the evaluation, which is pre-season practices. A young QB that starts trending up and learning how to do things correctly is more important info than a veteran trending up. For Fitz, it's the overall production that matters most. For Rosen it's the trajectory and improvement that matters most. Still, at the end of the day, if the projected production doesn't support changing QB's, Coach Flo runs the risk of undermining the team's belief in him if he doesn't start the "best" QB when the regular season starts.

We have two more ever-increasingly-meaningful preseason games to consider. By preseason game 3, we should know our pecking order. Preseason game 4 is unlikely to change that.

Fitz just looks more natural witb it. But he missed an easy wheel rub route to ballage where he just completely read it wrong there’s no reason to throw that ball flat and air mailed a gesicki crosser.

That’s fitz inconsistent

Do like how natural he feels immediate pressure and saves yards as a result with his feet.

Rosen will get the job when the coach thinks he's ready for it. The focus at the moment is on Rosen's aptitude in learning how to read Defenses. I thought there were a lot of things to like about Rosen's performance the other night. He seems to have better pocket presence than Ryan Tannehill (but so does a bucket of rocks). The interception and the comment from Flores that he wants to see less "gunslinger", are a reminder that Josh is a work in progress. I like the way Coach Flores is managing this. He knows what he has in Fitzpatrick and he's making Rosen earn the starting QB role.

Fitz just looks more natural witb it. But he missed an easy wheel rub route to ballage where he just completely read it wrong there’s no reason to throw that ball flat and air mailed a gesicki crosser.

That’s fitz inconsistent

Do like how natural he feels immediate pressure and saves yards as a result with his feet.
How did you feel about Rosen's play? I really wasn't impressed. He still looks like he's double hitching on some throws like he doesn't trust what he sees. He looks a lot like the player he was last season. He really hasn't made much of a jump from season one to season two in my eyes.

Rosen is a top ten draft pick a year ago that we got for basically nothing, Fitz is a dude that's had a new team every two years. Fitz gives us a slightly better chance to win an extra game or two this year and hurt our draft position. Rosen could be THE guy but needs game reps, preferably standing up right for more than 3 seconds in the pockets, to develop. If it were my call, having watched very little of any camp or even the preseason game, run rosen out there and see what we've got. This team is sub 5 win trash anyway. Worst case is we set ourselves up for a better pick/run at a real QB. I'd also be willing to "lose for Lawrence" for two years as I don't much care for Tua. Wouldn't be opposed to Herbert either.

How did you feel about Rosen's play? I really wasn't impressed. He still looks like he's double hitching on some throws like he doesn't trust what he sees. He looks a lot like the player he was last season. He really hasn't made much of a jump from season one to season two in my eyes.

Similar to last year. Better placement consistency altbougb we didn’t throw many to the flats where I thought he struggled last year. Needs to speed up his post snap reads.

Outside the #s very good. Lots of trust in p Williams to make a play.

Rosen's first start last season was impressive according to several writers. Running for his life and being bashed senseless does take its toll on a rookie QB with a bad HC and OC and rotating scrubs "protecting" him. He literally went down hill from there as did his confidence

Thursday night he showed pocket presence, elusiveness, perfectly place balls in many cases. How could you not be optimistic?

I've said before, it's better that Fitz starts, Rosen stands next to O'Shea on the sidelines watching, listening and questioning. Finally when Fitz goes into his boneheaded interception stage, let Rosen start. Let's not forget that Darnold was crapping the bed perhaps even worse until his injury when he had a chance to decompress on the sidelines. When he came back in, he was a different QB.

"He who ignores history is doomed to repeat it" ~Geo Santayana. We know from last year that fire by baptism behind a porous line is not way to initiate Rosen. Let him sit/stand for a few games.

Not sure why you would trade a 2nd round pick for a QB and not use all 16 games to evaluate him in lieu of a journeyman QB. This team had plenty of needs it could of filled with that pick. If Fitzpatrick starts week 1 i'll be skeptical of Flores.

It seems very clear to me that Rosen will be the starting QB at some point in the season...

Why is it so important that he starts the first game?

The answer is....

IT ISN'T ;)

Yes it is, i want as big of sample size as possible in determining whether to get a QB next offseason or going with Rosen.

That is one of the main objectives of the season is it not?

Back
Top Bottom