Dolphins Are Selling Ryan Fitzpatrick Over Josh Rosen At Qb, But Don't Buy It | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Are Selling Ryan Fitzpatrick Over Josh Rosen At Qb, But Don't Buy It

Titans FO pretty much said Tannehill is there to be the backup only after they traded for him.

Well I’m gonna tell ya that if Tennessee can protect tannehill that won’t last long.

They aren’t even close to on the same level in terms of pocket play.

That’s not a guarantee that Tennessee will ask the qb to make plays from the pocket but if they do it’s not even close.

On another note you can hide that off script play with tannehill a lot more than miami
could as long as you can protect the qb.

The titans are figuring that out. They ran max protect pa and guys actually executed the ask. That said it is preseason and I’m no dummy.

I’m pretty sure the titans coaches want to keep their jobs, so unlikely they would turn to the coach killer.

Well that oline play in both phases is better which with tannehill is huge

And again it was preseason but the timing of his throws was a lot better than 2018. Is that vanilla ds or is it rust or is it a combo of the 2?

All I know is he looked more comfortable timing wise at least with ball out of hand

Really???You're picking some arbitrary advanced stat to hitch your wagon to??? Not the zero playoff appearances, or the 50-75-1 career record, the 190/148 td to isn’t ratio, or the 7 teams who have given up on him, or the 10/14 seasons where he could not hold onto the starters spot??? Oh but His any/a contradicts all of that. Sure pal.

On a serious note it’s got to be if I’m being real one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen.

And I’ve seen a lot of dumb **** on message boards

And I’m attacking that post not the poster. That’s numbers without context crap all day long

Well I’m gonna tell ya that if Tennessee can protect tannehill that won’t last long.

That’s not a guarantee that Tennessee will ask the qb to make plays from the pocket but if they do it’s not even close.

On another note you can hide that off script play with tannehill a lot more than miami

The titans are figuring that out. They ran max protect pa and guys actually executed the ask. That said it is preseason and I’m no dummy.
Titans are screwed either way. They’re trying to force Mariota to be their savior like Miami did with Tannehill for 7 seasons. They’ll come to terms and realize he isn’t the one when it’s too late.

That **** will be starting soon for mariota

That's saying nothing, really. Mariota is either out with injury, playing with a nagging injury, or is healthy enough to be the average QB he is.

Neither player moves the needle for me.

Titans are screwed either way. They’re trying to force Mariota to be their savior like Miami did with Tannehill for 7 seasons. They’ll come to terms and realize he isn’t the one when it’s too late.

I think this is mariotas last shot in tennessee. Good news is that teams more talented than Miami which means they should win more games and give us a higher draft slot for a qb.

Miamis o line play is just hard to think won’t be terrible. No depth and a lot of weight on a udfa and a 3rd round pick

It’s just hard to put that much faith in coaching when the talent level is this low. Same for the edge play on the d line

That's saying nothing, really. Mariota is either out with injury, playing with a nagging injury, or just being the healthy average QB he is.

Neither QB moves the needle for me.

Ok I get it. Mariota is not good from the pocket and Ryan played negative ball in 2018.

This has been my contention all along. It’s not that Tannehill was a perfect, or even great QB, but that he was never given protection in any consistent way in Miami. If Tennessee can actually protect him and focus on the pocket passing game, Mariota has legitimate cause to worry about his job. He seems to miss time every year, and if it is for any significant amount, he may find himself looking for a new team.

For Tannehill’s entire career in Miami, the OL has largely been terrible with the occasional moment of adequacy. This is why the Rosen trade made no sense to me at all. Rosen was equivalent to or worse than Tannehill behind a poor OL in Arizona, and with this OL, it makes no sense to start him here until the OL is much improved (likely at least one or two more seasons). People clamoring for Rosen to start are just begging for him to fail.

Players don't have to start in order to study and improve at their game. That's what I would like to see, improvement, rather than extra game time just so fans can evaluate him more. And if he doesn't improve, then the coaches will replace him (hopefully).
I think some feel that Rosen must play to be "evaluated". I would hope the priority is development not "evaluation" and IMO that may not always be best playing - especially with this OL.

They want to slowly but surely build Rosen's confidence back up. The way to do that is to do and say just what they're doing and saying. The light is starting to come on but he needs a ton of reps. Rosen may yet start on opening day. He is clearly breathing down Fitz's neck.

The way I believe it's going as far as Flores, there is not a big enough gap between Fitz and Rosen, though Rosen (By camp reports, and the 1st Preseason game) seems to be a]slightly ahead.

Rosen is still not perfect to be thrown out there, and has to clean some things 1st, add to that the O-line is still trying to gel together (They are not going to succeed on talent...at least not for now), so throwing out there the Rookie more then the Vet would make no sense.

Because they are close, Fitz gets the benefit of the doubt, considering his experience, and his knack to pull out 2-4 impressive games before he comes down to earth...So either Rosen proves himself again this week to be much better then Fitz, or game Three (Dress Rehearsal) will have Fitz as the starter for the 3rd straight Preseason game, which also probably means game 1 of the season sees Fitz starting unless in week three Rosen overtakes Fitz.

I have not yet heard or seen anywhere who will be starting Preseason game two, but considering how short Fitz got to start, and Rosen's ugly INT, I believe Fitz will start, but the game Rosen had (Though Coach Flores will never admit it), was not lost on him, INTs happen to best of QBs, and Rosen bounced back amazingly, so though Fitz will start, both will be competing against the Bucs to start Dress Rehearsal, and probably the season...Expect Fitz to get at least 3 to 5 drives, and Rosen to go deep in the 4th quarter after that.

This has been my contention all along. It’s not that Tannehill was a perfect, or even great QB, but that he was never given protection in any consistent way in Miami. If Tennessee can actually protect him and focus on the pocket passing game, Mariota has legitimate cause to worry about his job. He seems to miss time every year, and if it is for any significant amount, he may find himself looking for a new team.

For Tannehill’s entire career in Miami, the OL has largely been terrible with the occasional moment of adequacy. This is why the Rosen trade made no sense to me at all. Rosen was equivalent to or worse than Tannehill behind a poor OL in Arizona, and with this OL, it makes no sense to start him here until the OL is much improved (likely at least one or two more seasons). People clamoring for Rosen to start are just begging for him to fail.

I know we have had but only a small sample size, but Rosen's pocket presence (read: ability to start running for his life immediately) was better than almost any I saw from Tannehill (and I was a big Tannehill supporter). Tannehill had one HUGE glaring weakness: his movement and feel in the pocket. Rosen is already better than him at that, I believe (not saying much).

I know we have had but only a small sample size, but Rosen's pocket presence (read: ability to start running for his life immediately) was better than almost any I saw from Tannehill (and I was a big Tannehill supporter). Tannehill had one HUGE glaring weakness: his movement and feel in the pocket. Rosen is already better than him at that, I believe (not saying much).

Perhaps. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I am pretty sure that earlier in his career Tannehill’s numbers against pressure were actually very good. I think years of abuse and injury beat that out of him and really amplified his struggles with pocket awareness. The offensive line was so bad that I honestly believe that there was simply no chance to elude pressure more often than not. It was either step into it and deliver a short strike, or run directly into it and take the sack trying to extend the play. Hopefully Rosen has enough time to at least try and extend the play or let route trees develop, as I don’t see as much talent with the ball when throwing on the run.

Perhaps. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I am pretty sure that earlier in his career Tannehill’s numbers against pressure were actually very good. I think years of abuse and injury beat that out of him and really amplified his struggles with pocket awareness. The offensive line was so bad that I honestly believe that there was simply no chance to elude pressure more often than not. It was either step into it and deliver a short strike, or run directly into it and take the sack trying to extend the play. Hopefully Rosen has enough time to at least try and extend the play or let route trees develop, as I don’t see as much talent with the ball when throwing on the run.

His career died that day on the field against Arizona. He was progressing, and in that game, it was obvious the light had finally come on and he was getting to another level...until Campbell...he was never the same.

That is correct with regards to numbers against pressure

Back
Top Bottom