Dolphins are signing veteran OL D.J. Fluker | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins are signing veteran OL D.J. Fluker

Coach I like the move people off the ball and let a good back do the rest scheme...seriously though..

all this synchronized swimming Going on, just get off the ball and drive, and finish with a real nasty demeanor, and you will take their will.
That is always the goal and is the first requirement of good football, but it falls short if the team you are playing has the same strengths and a better scheme, play calling, and prep. Coaching decides most games.

That is always the goal and is the first requirement of good football, but it falls short if the team you are playing has the same strengths and a better scheme, play calling, and prep. Coaching decides most games.
Maybe that’s why we are acquiring Huge human being who are nasty? specifically for the reason you talk about.

If we’re bigger and stronger and more nasty than everyone else than we have no match.

Last edited:
Coach I like the move people off the ball and let a good back do the rest scheme...seriously though..

all this synchronized swimming Going on, just get off the ball and drive, and finish with a real nasty demeanor, and you will take their will.

Where's Jim Brown when you really need him - LOL

Maybe that’s why we are acquiring Huge human being who are nasty? specifically for the reason you talk about.

If we’re bgiver and stronger and more nasty than everyone else than we have no match.
His arm length is 36 3/4 inches. Downfield blocking seems to be more about getting a yard or two downfield and getting your hands on any defender that gets near a lineman. The days of pulling guards that try to run over a defender and hit nothing by air have disappeared from the game as has Levon Kirkland sized players.

The Seattle video was great as I assume Fluker was similar to other failed too heavy 1st round picks. His personality and love of the game may be a good match for our 2nd year lineman as they could use some competition, but may not respond as well if their job was threatened by a high draft pick.

Interestingly, his failure seems to have been with deep pocket passers, Rivers & Manning, while has played better with mobile QBs. Quick, shorter passing offenses may have not exposed his weaknesses and RPO running may provide more run blocking snaps.

Fluker is a big bodied guy who was drafted (in the first 1:11) to play Right Tackle. His drafting team quickly gave up on that idea, and moved him to Guard in his second year. He was starting, but he wasn't playing at a high end level, and the Chargers were already realizing they had a bust on their hands. He played a third year for the Chargers and then they cut him.
The Giants were next, where he only played in 9 games.
Then a couple of years in Seattle where he played Guard mostly when he wasn't fighting injuries...
Then on to the Ravens... again... fill-in starter and some injuries.

Anyone who thinks this guy is a starter... well... they are THE most optimistic Fin Fan that I have ever seen.

He's a 1M/year, break glass in case of disaster, player. Don't be surprised if he doesn't even make the team.
Isn't he the guy Cam Wake abused when we went out there to play a couple of years ago? I don't really remember, but I was watching this kid because I thought we might have drafted him and wanted to see how he did. He didn't...

Isn't he the guy Cam Wake abused when we went out there to play a couple of years ago? I don't really remember, but I was watching this kid because I thought we might have drafted him and wanted to see how he did. He didn't...
Not sure about that, but Fluker in space is probably a bad idea.
The Chargers gave up on him by the end of his first year and moved him to Guard very quickly... now he carries 340 lbs, his game is gonna be run-blocking and forward only.

Meh, more wasted money. It's like we're stockpiling bad players and fringe roster guys just so we squander as much money as possible. Odd.
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

An RPO can run any OL blocking scheme. It can run inside or outside zone, it can pull OL and run sweeps, it can trap, etc. There's no limit to what an RPO can run. It's all just about the scheme of who is running it and what they want their run options to be...

Typically Zone schemes take on larger, stronger, and sometimes dumber OL and have great success - as long as the OL can get out of their stance. The Zone can definitely use a quicker OL, but the whole reason Zone became a thing originally was for larger OL as it suits their skillset.

The places I've coached and played that used offenses like the West Coast, Wing T, variations of the I offense, Power Wing, and Fly offense have typically had quicker OL and they often had someone pulling or trapping on the OL every play (Trap/Sweep/Boot/Reverse/Belly/Power/etc.

Blocking schemes that pull, trap, and have lots of OL movement typically want mobile OL in it.

IMO our OL is situated more for Zone than anything else. We don't see much pulling or trapping in our scheme.
I've never heard anyone say that you want bigger olineman in a zone scheme. Ive always read and seen the opposite. The team that comes to mind to me for being famous for effective zone blocking was the Broncos from the late 90s with Gibbs as their oline coach. I think they did not have one starter over 300 for much of it...and they had studs like Nalen, Schlereth and Jones in an era when most Oline were 300+.

Sounds like you have personal experience countering my understanding, but it is definitely different than most of what I've seen.

There are more than one type of Zone schemes. It isn't a one size fits all. Which schemes seek big OL like we have? Is it the type that pull and trap every play? Of course it isn't. So what will we run?

Well, since we do this every year, at least he’s a guy I’ve heard of. No disrespect to all of the Lance Louis / Ted Larsen guys we’ve signed in the last 20 years.

Fluker might turn out to be nothing, but he's won starting jobs on o-lines that are much better and much more established than what we currently have so I wouldn't say it's out of the question for him to beatout one of Miami's projected starters at guard or right tackle. Let's see what he looks like when the team puts the pads on in about 100 days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom