Dolphins Aren't A Good Team On Paper | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Aren't A Good Team On Paper

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There are teams every year that start unknowns. And every year there are unknown players who, once they see the field, earn the ability to stay on the field.

So for this year's Dolphins roster, there are a lot of unknowns. But teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, and Patriots do this every season. They have a bench players that either need to step up because of injury, or are propelled into a starting role because a player leaves.

Many of us have low expectations for the Dolphins, but the beauty of the season are the surprises that pop up around the league.

Perhaps we'll have some in Miami, from guys like Dewayne Hendrix, Andrew Van Ginkel, Shaq Calhoun, Jonathan Ledbetter, etc. And perhaps we'll see the ascension of players like Jerome Baker, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Kalen Ballage

There are teams every year that start unknowns. And every year there are unknown players who, once they see the field, earn the ability to stay on the field.

So for this year's Dolphins roster, there are a lot of unknowns. But teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, and Patriots do this every season. They have a bench players that either need to step up because of injury, or are propelled into a starting role because a player leaves.

Many of us have low expectations for the Dolphins, but the beauty of the season are the surprises that pop up around the league.

Perhaps we'll have some in Miami, from guys like Dewayne Hendrix, Andrew Van Ginkel, Shaq Calhoun, Jonathan Ledbetter, etc. And perhaps we'll see the ascension of players like Jerome Baker, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Kalen Ballage

I'm admittedly cautiously optimistic, but there's a difference between Miami's unknowns and the unknowns of the Steelers, Pats and others - Miami has a lot more unknowns. I agree some of the them WILL surprise on the upside - happens every year. But don't confuse "surprise" with "very good." For a guy like Ledbetter, a "surprise" on the upside means he's in the rotation. That's good, but not REAL good. What some seem to forget is the small percentage of draft picks who end up being average, much less All-Pro. Even R1 picks. If half the new faces end up being average, that's a VERY good surprise.
Tangentially, some seem to think ALL will surprise on the upside, some think all will bust and there will be no surprises, and those in touch with reality know some will bust, some will surprise, and some we be about what fans thought. You're right, part of the rites of fandom are watching those pleasant surprises.

I didn't know the NFL was played on paper. I'll wait for the season to commence.

There's a good chance the 2019 team looks a lot stronger by Week 17 of the season than the 2016-2018 teams did at seasons end.

Last edited:
Something tells me you didn't actually read the post before commenting.

No offense dude, but I did. I just hate when people try to compare teams on paper compared to what they do or will project to what could happen on the field. Could give you hundreds of examples for both ways.

Dolphins Aren't A Good Team On Paper

or grass.. The good news is that things are looking up!

I like your enthusiasm, but how many times did we think things were looking up only to watch us crash and burn. We were giddy when Saban took this team but then we saw how that ended. For me personally I've been kicked in the balls so many times by our Fins, I'm going to take a two year approach to this team before I think it's looking up or down. However I'm still going to enjoy another Fins season coming up.

I like your enthusiasm, but how many times did we think things were looking up only to watch us crash and burn. We were giddy when Saban took this team but then we saw how that ended. For me personally I've been kicked in the balls so many times by our Fins, I'm going to take a two year approach to this team before I think it's looking up or down. However I'm still going to enjoy another Fins season coming up.
When you're at the South Pole, everywhere is north.

It is going to take at least two more strong off seasons to build a real playoff roster.

Hopefully it starts with a bona fide franchise QB next spring.

And continuing to build the OL and DL.

They have the makings of a good secondary.

The LB corps needs help and the so called "skill" positions are not that important if you have a top QB and a good OL. You just need solid, professional WR's and RB's.

Get me Tua, and strong lines of scrimmage, and a good secondary and I will go to battle with solid, pedestrian talent at LB and the offensive playmakers.

At the very least, we are going to see young players get opportunities. On the offensive line alone, two rooks figure to start on opening day. That could be problematic at times, but the only way to improve is to get playing time. Like the OP mentioned, there are many first year players with opportunities. That's exciting. A few could surprise. A few likely will flop. Just the nature of the NFL.

Dolphins is never a good team on paper sense Dan left.

Dolphins is never a good team on paper sense Dan left.

That's not true. They were being picked by many early in the 2000s to go to the Super Bowl, and after the playoff year in 2008 they were expected to be a playoff team again.

Back
Top Bottom