Dolphins Best Options In Weak Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Best Options In Weak Draft

dougfinsfan72

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In looking over the prospects for this years draft it is obvious that this is one of the weakest drafts in a while.

There are only three players with really potential star qualities on the PRO LEVEL and those three are Thomas OT, Russell QB, and Johnson WR. Coincidentally these three positions are our most urgent needs.

Unfortunately these three players will be gone before our 9th pick. I don't think we're willing to give up what it takes to move up to get one of these guys.

With the quality as it is, I see us either trading down, one or two times to pick up additional picks or staying at number 9 and selecting one of the following players with the best Pre-Draft workouts:
Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State
Ted Ginn Jr Wr Ohio State
Dwayne Jarrett WR USC
S. Rice WR the other USC (South Carolina)

It may be weak in some areas, but its rediculously strong in others. I dont think overall its weak....its avg! Same every year.

This year, it seems like it matches up to our needs per round quite nicely actually.

With Brian Brohm staying in school for his Senior year, there is absolutely no chance of Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell falling to #9. Those two should be top 5 picks, respectively. With that said, there won't be a QB worthy of a top 10 selection there when we pick. I also highly doubt Joe Thomas or Alan Branch is there.

We're going to wind up having one or two big time WR's on the board. IMO, there's a slight chance of Dwayne Jarrett being there, and he's actually the guy who I really want. If he's not there, Ted Ginn should be. Why pass up on Ted Ginn unless a player who is really that much better of a prospect is there? This guy has PLAYMAKER written all over him.. he can really make things happen for us on offense and special teams. Perfect for what we need.

In looking over the prospects for this years draft it is obvious that this is one of the weakest drafts in a while.

There are only three players with really potential star qualities on the PRO LEVEL and those three are Thomas OT, Russell QB, and Johnson WR. Coincidentally these three positions are our most urgent needs.

Unfortunately these three players will be gone before our 9th pick. I don't think we're willing to give up what it takes to move up to get one of these guys.

With the quality as it is, I see us either trading down, one or two times to pick up additional picks or staying at number 9 and selecting one of the following players with the best Pre-Draft workouts:
Dwayne Jarrett WR USC

Adrian Petersons one of the best RB prospect in years. Hes gonna be amazing.
Brady Quinns gonna be a star, although i dont like him.
Dwayne Jarrett's gonna be a stud
Patrick Willis is a star waiting to happen at MLB
And LaRon Landrys being compared to Ed Reed.

This draft isnt that weak. Expecially at receiver and T.

definatly not a weak draft, just not a top heavy draft. Brian Brohm not declaring wasn't the news that made the 9th pick look less sexy; it was Sam Baker and Jake Long staying.

At 9 we'll probably have to draft PBA because the need picks are gonna be reaches (unless we take someone like Leon Hall, or Allan Branch). But the rest of he draft is pretty solid.

Looking at the draft, it's actually pretty likely that we could get 4 new starters.

Who knows, we might end up taking Landry or Nelson in the first, and move Hill/Bell to the bench (or one of Hill/Allen to CB)

I'll put my new and improved mock up in a couple of hours, and I'll go into detailed explanations for the phins. I'm not going to garuntee that I'll sway your mind completely, but I think you'll agree the draft won't look as bad.

Dwayne Jarrett WR USC

I don't think that our biggest needs are OT, QB and WR. I think we need OT, QB, CB, LB, DT, WR, DE. With possible implications to include JT contemplating retirement as early as 2008 and the age at DT and LB. At the #9 spot I think we could take any of these positions. Furthermore, I would start looking for help at Center and Guard as early as round 2.

I think we need another DB. Whether it's Leon Hall or Laron Landry (IF we move J. Allen to CB) I'll be happy. Ted Ginn IMO would be a waste at #9 because he's just really fast. We could get someone like Johnnie Lee Higgins or Anthony Gonzales in the 3rd/4th round. I don't think there's any other position worth taking @ #9 because Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, and Russell will be gone. There's no DE worth taking at #9 and I don't think we NEED a DT (Branch.) We have Wilkenson, Wright, Wright, Evans, Vickerson, and hopefully Holliday. I think both Wright's and Vickerson could be starting material in the future. It'd be a slap in the face to Manny Wright to draft a DT in the first round just like it would be to Daunte if we drafted a QB in the first round. I'm actually kinda happy Brohm is not declaring.

I think we need another DB. Whether it's Leon Hall or Laron Landry (IF we move J. Allen to CB) I'll be happy. Ted Ginn IMO would be a waste at #9 because he's just really fast. We could get someone like Johnnie Lee Higgins or Anthony Gonzales in the 3rd/4th round. I don't think there's any other position worth taking @ #9 because Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, and Russell will be gone. There's no DE worth taking at #9 and I don't think we NEED a DT (Branch.) We have Wilkenson, Wright, Wright, Evans, Vickerson, and hopefully Holliday. I think both Wright's and Vickerson could be starting material in the future. It'd be a slap in the face to Manny Wright to draft a DT in the first round just like it would be to Daunte if we drafted a QB in the first round. I'm actually kinda happy Brohm is not declaring.

I disagree with your statement about DE and DT. Adams and Anderson are both worthy of going top 10.

As for Branch, If he's there I think we'll take him. Your putting too much hope in 3 7th round selections (2 of which have not played a snap in the NFL, one of whom is coming off of serious should surgery), another DT that might not be back with the team because of his personal problems, and an older DT that finished the season on IR, and was a major disappointment when he played. Plus, Branch is a freak of nature at DT. 6'6, 335 runs, and runs a pretty fast 40 time for a big guy. He also gets great penetration, and is very smart (great at recognizing screens). Besides, our 3 7th round DTs are not that big.

Wilkinson is old and injured. Vickerson is an FA along with Holliday and Traylor. We really don't know if Evans and the brothers Wright will be able to even come close to playing at the level of Holliday and Traylor. Sorry but I don't blame Saban entirely for the Manny Wright situation. Bottom line is we still need a DT who doesn't cry at training camp.

Manny Wright needs to be slapped in the face...of course he'd probably start balling...

Woah I really DONT think this is a weak class.

Russell, Peterson, Johnson, Thomas, Quinn, Jarret are all gonna be very solid players IMO and thats just on the offensive side of the ball.

If we could get some sort of deal done to move down a few spots (say to #5 or #6 or so overall) I would be extremely happy.

Woah I really DONT think this is a weak class.

Russell, Peterson, Johnson, Thomas, Quinn, Jarret are all gonna be very solid players IMO and thats just on the offensive side of the ball.

If we could get some sort of deal done to move down a few spots (say to #5 or #6 or so overall) I would be extremely happy.

there are several guys between rounds 2 and 4 that all have a shot at being special

Definitely, there is a lot of depth between those rounds this year. I was just trying to say that the top of the draft isnt exactly weak either.

no, but our pick doesn't look as good to some because there won't be a LT to take, and unless Brennan is seen as a top 10 pick (may or may not), that limits our options a bit.

Back
Top Bottom