Dolphins Building The Offensive Line | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Building The Offensive Line

The mantra that "defense wins championships", while still true, is not as clear cut as it once was.

Yes, a once in a decade type D can carry a team, but the rule changes that promote scoring have mitigated the advantages.

final 4 teams this year all top 4 in scoring.

anyways if we draft a duel threat off script qb then I'm playing with what we have o line wise in 2019. it's more than enough. ive been told that here for years. o line play is a crutch. vegas says as much.

if we draft a highly pocket progression one yeah I may add a piece. but it's up to that qb to show the presence and the feel to offset any deficiencies at some point. that's my expectations. for example if we were to trade for a josh rosen (unlikely but pocket based qb example) then yeah im trying to add something to help him.

if I'm drafting kyler murray nope go get em son. show me that feel for space in the run and pass game that offset that size concern in the first place.

dump Larsen retain jawuan james and that's more than enough for a duel threat qb who is a plus passer

and I'm really struggling with this whole set back by the play caller stuff, does it happen you damn right it does. seen it in Miami before even in tannehills time. but if being set back is having a duel threat qb who has the league leading rushing offense in football and that duel threat qb isn't even doing a lot of the rushing himself with his legs being a major player well then sign me up for that.

and the only thing that's setting that qb back right now in Houston if there is anything is his pocket reads which limits what you can ask of him from the pocket. you saw that in the playoff game. what happens when the defense isn't meeting at the qb and the passing o from the pocket has to make plays as a result. you couldn't get a more obvious example than that colts playoff game. hell his own coach says his pocket reads are his major weakness and where he needs the most improvement.

I saw the thread title and figured it was one that had been bumped from 2005

More than anything, we need depth along the OLine.

In my opinion we need to draft 2 OLineman relatively high in the draft, and then use the FA money that we will spend on a 3rd one. Chris Lindstrom will obviously be talked about because of the BC connection, but I think the top priority is finding a starting center when it comes to the line.

I would not be surprised to see us spend a 2nd round pick on a guy like Elgton Jenkins, Garrett Bradbury, or Tyler Biadasz.

Luckily for us, this is a rarely deep center draft. I'd like to see us at least come out of it with one of the top 3 and a solid guard.

As for the FA, there are 3 guys (Mitch Morse, John Miller, Mark Glowinski) that are young free agents hitting the market - All 3 are 26 or under. If we are going to spend a little bit of money (not overkill), this is where it should be.

The question is what are we going to do with Juwan James?

If he is leaving then all of a sudden a RT is an immediate need.

I'm spending my FA on OLineman. It's deep DE/DL and the Phins have one-1 guys worth keeping, aside from a FA NT cheap. I'm all in FA OLineman.

More than anything, we need depth along the OLine.

In my opinion we need to draft 2 OLineman relatively high in the draft, and then use the FA money that we will spend on a 3rd one. Chris Lindstrom will obviously be talked about because of the BC connection, but I think the top priority is finding a starting center when it comes to the line.

I would not be surprised to see us spend a 2nd round pick on a guy like Elgton Jenkins, Garrett Bradbury, or Tyler Biadasz.

Luckily for us, this is a rarely deep center draft. I'd like to see us at least come out of it with one of the top 3 and a solid guard.

As for the FA, there are 3 guys (Mitch Morse, John Miller, Mark Glowinski) that are young free agents hitting the market - All 3 are 26 or under. If we are going to spend a little bit of money (not overkill), this is where it should be.

The question is what are we going to do with Juwan James?

If he is leaving then all of a sudden a RT is an immediate need.

I'd like some opinions form those who know more about OL than I do. Currently, I'm leaning towards OG as top OL need

I'd like some opinions form those who know more about OL than I do. Currently, I'm leaning towards OG as top OL need
Assuming JJ stays, I think rds 3/4 could be used for OG. Usually the guard position is not considered a good use of top picks.

I also believe we go D in the first two rounds. Probably DE, and corner.

2019 NFL Free Agents C, G

Centers

Tony Bergstrom (33)
Jake Brendel (26) (R)
Nick Easton (27)
Hroniss Grasu (28)
Ryan Groy (28)
Jonotthan Harrsion (28)
Joey Hunt (25) (R)
Wesley Johnson (28)
Brett Jones (28)
Ryan Kalil (33)
Josh LeRibeus (30)
Marcus Martin (25)
Mitch Morse (27)
Matt Paradis (29)
Spencer Pulley (26) (R)
Austin Reiter (27) (R)
Tyler Shatley (28)
Travis Swanson (28)

Offensive Guards

Oday Aboushi (28)
Jeff Allen (29)
Zane Beadles (32)
Evan Boehm (26) (R)
Jamon Brown (26)
Jermon Bushrod (35)
A.J. Cann (27)
James Carpenter (30)
Tom Compton (30)
Jordan Devey (31)
Andrew Donnal (27)
Dakota Dozier (28)
Jon Feliciano (27)
B.J. Finney (27) (R)
D.J. Fluker (28)
Ramon Foster (33)
Max Garcia (27)
Ben Garland (31)
Mark Glowinski (27)
John Greco (34)
Trey Hopkins (27)
Mike Iupati (32)
Denver Kirkland (25) (R)
Arie Kouandjio (27)
Eric Kush (29)
Shawn Lauvao (31)
Andy Levitre (33)
John Miller (26)
Rees Odhiambo (26) (R)
Kevin Pamphile (28)
Michael Person (31)
Chris Reed (27) (R)
Rodger Saffold (31)
Brian Schwenke (28)
Jeremiah Sirles (28)
Matt Slauson (33)
Quinton Spain (28)
J.R. Sweezy (30)
Billy Turner (27)
Chance Warmack (27)
Earl Watford (29)
Bryan Witzmann (29)

Assuming JJ stays, I think rds 3/4 could be used for OG. Usually the guard position is not considered a good use of top picks.

I also believe we go D in the first two rounds. Probably DE, and corner.

Agree. I was responding to FinPhan54's remark . . . "the top priority is finding a starting center when it comes to the line." Not saying OC couldn't be upgraded, but, again, I'm leaning OG

It's a lot cheaper to invest in the iOL in free agency than most other positions. I would have a hard time rolling with Davis and Kilgore next year. Need to upgrade there in FA and draft defense early.

I have no issues keeping Kilgore and Sitton for next year, but we decidedly need depth at C and G either through FA or the draft. LT should be set for a while, and RT...welp...I've seen worse.

Sitton and Kilgore had injuries that seem like fluke ones, and we're only spending like 8.5 million for both of them next year so I would retain them and still draft a couple.

Sitton and Kilgore had injuries that seem like fluke ones, and we're only spending like 8.5 million for both of them next year so I would retain them and still draft a couple.
I would agree. This idea that you can cut everyone, and start from scratch, sounds good in theory, but in reality, you still have to field a team.

Back
Top Bottom