Dolphins Building The Offensive Line | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Building The Offensive Line

I would agree. This idea that you can cut everyone, and start from scratch, sounds good in theory, but in reality, you still have to field a team.

And if the goal is to fill the team with average players, Miami has quite a few already. Now, cutting excessive contracts is a different matter

Most of the excessive contracts end in 2020 so why bother?
Because in many situations, it clears up cap space going into the 2020 season.

The salary cap is not a year to year thing like most believe. It is a cumulative average over (I believe) 4 seasons. It is not as black and white as you may think.

I would agree. This idea that you can cut everyone, and start from scratch, sounds good in theory, but in reality, you still have to field a team.
To make the turnover more significant and affordable, most coaches retain a lot of their first draft class the first year. That means the talent on the roster temporarily goes down, but the new players are loyal to the new regime, not comparing it to the old regime when the going gets tough. If we're tanking in 2019--and I gotta admit, I'd rather do that and finally get a great QB in 2020--then I'm expecting we cut a lot of veterans. Sure, it will lead to salary cap congestion in the short run, but in the long run it allows the new coach to start over with a clean slate and make his own mistakes with his own people. Veteran coaches and coaches clinging on to their jobs tend to flood the roster with veterans. But new coaches wash it clean with new young players who can grow with them. Don't get too attached to the Dolphins on the roster today, because by 2020 probably 80% of them will be gone.

Sitton and Kilgore had injuries that seem like fluke ones, and we're only spending like 8.5 million for both of them next year so I would retain them and still draft a couple.

I don’t think it’s fluke things when you are talking about 30 plus. Kilgore even healthy has never really moved the needle for me. I’d rather have the $2.5 mil back or whatever it is.

I like your theory but for most teams it's just not practical. I would have no problem though trading our pick back to the end of the first round this year as the draft is very deep in the trenches.

Agree

I don’t think it’s fluke things when you are talking about 30 plus. Kilgore even healthy has never really moved the needle for me. I’d rather have the $2.5 mil back or whatever it is.

Kilgore was mediocre. Swanson was an decent upgrade .

I think Swanson is mediocre but decent. Kilgore was below average for the 3.5 games he played, IMO. Shows just how bad a move the Kilgore trade was as Swanson was picked up off the street as a backup in September. He was released (in favor of Bolden) and then re-signed.

Who is evaluating these guys and who is/was pulling the trigger? You would think the Pro-Personnel Director had something to do with it and this team has been awful in FA for years. Anthony Hunt (PPD) has been with this team for 24 years. Brought in by Jimmy Johnson, I believe.

I think Swanson is mediocre but decent. Kilgore was below average for the 3.5 games he played, IMO. Shows just how bad a move the Kilgore trade was as Swanson was picked up off the street as a backup in September. He was released (in favor of Bolden) and then re-signed.

Who is evaluating these guys and who is/was pulling the trigger? You would think the Pro-Personnel Director had something to do with it and this team has been awful in FA for years. Anthony Hunt (PPD) has been with this team for 24 years. Brought in by Jimmy Johnson, I believe.

Probably the same OL coach who was coaching up the OL, or, at least, he had input

Take a good look at Garrett Bradbury in the draft. He's an athlete. I think he can be a nice pickup in round two. Center could be resolved for awhile. If you get a front seven stud in round one and then come back with Bradbury, that would be two key pieces that can help turnaround some massive needs.

Our OL has sucked since RT came on board. Until it’s fixed with talent depth and coaching, this team will suck. period.

Not wanting to open a can of worms and peoples wish lists but

Did I miss who we are looking at for the actual offensive Line coach ?
Or top available Offensive Line Coaches in our sights ? Thats AVAILABLE

Would love to and rather see a proven and fully experience Coach filling this need, instead of a first timer, bumped up...

Would look at this signing as pretty significant considering our present state of OL...

Flores needs to bring Scarnecchia with him and make him the OC. Ross can give him a boat load of money. (only half serious).

I’ve said it before and I’ll Say it again, you ONLY draft oline with a top 10 pick IF you have solid proven playmakers at all other major positions (QB, WR, DE, CB)

Otherwise you used those high draft picks for potential game changers... and an OLINMAN will never be a game changer

Back
Top Bottom