Dolphins Building The Offensive Line | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Building The Offensive Line

I’ve said it before and I’ll Say it again, you ONLY draft oline with a top 10 pick IF you have solid proven playmakers at all other major positions (QB, WR, DE, CB)

Otherwise you used those high draft picks for potential game changers... and an OLINMAN will never be a game changer

I think Nelson changed that line in Indy this year!!! If there is that kind of guard available at 13, I am thinking long and hard...

Yea I ended up saying Derwin James would be my top selection when we picked last year . . . .but Nelson was that guy throughout most of the draft process until it definitively looked like he wouldn’t make it to our pick"

He just exemplified everything this team was missing from an attitude/physical standpoint, and even with Sitton, you find a spot for the guy.

Nobody like that this year . . . .build up that defense man. Day 3 and UDFA its swing, swing, swing and hopefully you uncover a gem or 2. Do not bring any Ted Larsen types in tho.

I think Nelson changed that line in Indy this year!!! If there is that kind of guard available at 13, I am thinking long and hard...
You may be right. Using a rd1 pick on a guard just seems like a waste to me.

I know ppl are tired of the crap guards we have drafted in later rounds, but I think that is on the evaluators, and, in some cases coaching.

Much salivating on the Forum for fans wanting to get much needed help on the OL through drafting this year. Many even hoping for a guard with our #13 pick.

The hated Pats have done it right and it’s obvious to us when we see Brady sitting back there, going through his progressions while we struggle to break through his OL. Year in year out.

Let’s take a look at the Pats OL, and where they were drafted:

Left tackle - 7th round
Left Guard - 3rd round
Center - Undrafted
Right Guard - 4th round
Right Tackle - 5th round

The lesson here is that these big boys with talent exist all over the draft, often way way down. Teams have to a) identify them, and b) coach them up and put them in a situation where they are held accountable by the entire organization, from the QB on down. My feeling is that the Pats excel in, not drafting, but coaching.

Personally, I like using higher draft picks on the skill positions, and training up the maulers who have the size to fight.

Having said that, toss the 13th pick if possible for more ammo in 2020.
I agree with you. I had mentioned in a previous post we need to fill the line with quality FA Journeymen and solid drafting. No more high priced 10M FA signings. Just guys who have proven they can block and stay healthy. 3-4 4-6 Million $$ FA and 3-4 solid Draftees. If we hit on a franchise guy we’ll maybe keep one of them but these guys should be grinders not premadonas

Rd 1 best DL unless there's a stud LB there. RD 2 best G. Guard has been a problem for this team now for a freaking decade, it more than anything has to be fixed to allow QB success. IMHO

I think we're going to be using multiple fronts next year, so that means we need to prioritize edge rushers that can play both DE and OLB. Luckily, there's some of those in this draft, but we probably need to take them in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Back
Top Bottom