Dolphins & Burnett May Be Close and Closer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins & Burnett May Be Close and Closer

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
Dolphins & Burnett May Be Close

Burnett's agent, Jim Sims, was to send a proposal to the Dolphins today, and Senior Vice President Rick Spielman was hopeful the two sides could come to an agreement.

With a little more than $3 million in salary-cap space, the Dolphins do not have much to offer, but Spielman indicated the team could work out a multi-year deal worth more than the veteran minimum.

Marco Coleman a Free Agent
As expected, Marco Coleman became a free agent on Monday after he was released by the Washington Redskins; however, the Dolphins have turned their attention to Rob Burnett.

NFL | Coleman Interest - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
22:25 PT: John Clayton reports for ESPN free agent DE Marco Coleman (Redskins) has received calls from the Jaguars and Dolphins. The Eagles, who are expected to make the hardest pitch, have yet to make a call to Coleman. The Eagles are expected to call Tuesday.

now the Jags are in the pix, sounds like Burnett is the way to go w/ our cap budget

YUP

Originally posted by WharfRat
:cry: Would much rather have Coleman....

Me Too. I think Coleman would be great opposite taylor on passing downs.

IMHO... I think the "kid in a candy store" approach is not the way to go... we really need to set our sights on who we REALLY want, and make an honest effort to get him... not wander around the store drooling over the stuff we didn't come here for, and don't need....

But remember, we're just looking for a good backup right now, who can play every down if needed. Coleman is young enough to want to start..We don't need problems with a player who's not satisfied with his role..I think Burnett would be more comfortable in this role right now. I do like Coleman, but that may invite trouble if he's looking to get paid and want to start. If he shows he can do like Trace great, but if he intends to start, he should go somewhere where he can do that, it's only fair to him.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I do like Coleman, but that may invite trouble if he's looking to get paid and want to start. If he shows he can do like Trace great, but if he intends to start, he should go somewhere where he can do that, it's only fair to him.

Good point MD... I suppose from Coleman's perspective it would be unfair if he could start elsewhere...he's said (I read it somewhere, but forget where) that he'd like to "come home" to Miamai... but if Phila gives him a better offer and would start him, I certainly can't blame him... we certainly don't need ego batlles in the locker room. I'd still rather have him than Burnett, based on talent alone, but if he's not happy in Miami, how well would he perform?

You have to remember that like others have said... getting a good DE is basically a luxury and insurance. Because as of now... Gardener is the starter. And, I am much more optimistic than some others that he will suceed at that position. And we also have David Bowens to come in on the passing downs. He has shown too much talent to sta on the bench, which is what would happen if Coleman came in... because Gardener would start at DE and Coleman would get the rushing downs. Anything less and Coleman could become frustrated and become a cancer in the locker room. We need to bring in a versatile player, but it has to be someone who is willing to ride the bench all season if it happens and accept that, yet be prepared to suit up and start if necessary. I think Barnett would be more open to a role like that.

OMT, Coleman is going to want a multi year contract......How many of you would want to commit to Coleman on a three year deal? Signing him long term would mean losing somebody else after this season, especially if D-Bow or Wally Gator, proves too valuable to lose. I'd rather not tie up that money on Coleman. I don't think he is worth it. I think Rob Burnett would be a better fit for this season. We could cut him loose when it's over (in February) and draft some new young stud or sign a younger free agent than Marco.

Last edited:
Originally posted by inFINSible
OMT, Coleman is going to want a multi year contract......How many of you would want to commit to Coleman on a three year deal?

That's exactly what we are doing with Burnett though.

more or less - all that matters is the signing bonus after 2002 - so if Burnett gets little or nothing, then it is a 1 year deal.

I think either will work as a back-up. The question is do we really need one of them???....

I think D. Bowens and A. Ogunleye are well on their way, and both should be a factor rushing the QB this year.

I'm still more concerned about our OL.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

i think coleman would be happy to have the spot trace armstrong had for that fact i think any pass rusher would love that oppurtunity . so i agree with wrat pick one and go get him period.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
I think either will work as a back-up. The question is do we really need one of them???....

I think D. Bowens and A. Ogunleye are well on their way, and both should be a factor rushing the QB this year.

PHINZ RULE!!!

What if Daryl goes down again? Do you think D-Bow or Ogunleye could hold up against the run?

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

PHINZ RULE!!!

I agree, imho OL an OLB are more of a pressing need at this point.
I like the idea of Hardy Nickerson Backing up Zack this year, he did put decent #s last year. and maybe able to help the other Lbs out with his experience. I don't know what he his asking price is, but if it is reasonable, he would be worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom