Dolphins claim WR Gary Jennings | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins claim WR Gary Jennings

He’s FAST and has great hands. Potential deep threat with actual size and catch radius. Complex route running does seem to be his issue.

Barry Jackson reports that Miami liked Jennings and brought him in during pre draft visits. So it makes sense they put in a claim.

So reading a few posts hes a "possession type WR" that has problem with route running and "hes Fast and has great hands. Potential deep threat with actual size and catch radius" that has route running issues.
So basically he ticks every box apart from his route running. Interesting pickup.

Strong Points: Very good WR size and excellent production the past two years. Tests like a very good athlete. Shows he can get open deep at times and make the big play. Strong hands.
Weak Points: Does not play close to his timed speed, nor does he play to his testing numbers (more of a possession receiver). Not physical and not a blocker. West Virginia route tree is minimal. Run-after-catch ability is average for a player with his speed and quickness. Sometimes appears to avoid contact.
The Way We See It: Jennings is a great testing athlete with good production, but his tape isn't very exciting. He usually works in the slot, where he will make the plays that are there. Jennings has good hands and flashes competitiveness in traffic, but he isn't the toughest guy and at times seems to shy away from contact. The West Virginia offense is very simple with a minimal route tree, and its receiving products in recent years have struggled in the NFL. Raw as a route runner, Jennings will need time and coaching, and I can't see him being more than a sixth receiver as a rookie because he doesn't have the toughness to play on special teams. Late pick.

He was a stand out wr at wvu last year...... Never really caught on with Seattle. They even once released him and rescinded the release. Interesting pick up though. Could get some playing time. If you really want to play football and I mean really want to play, come to Miami. We are the home of camp fodder and replacement players. A haven so to speak for guys who want to prove it. So again, we'll find out of this guy really wants to play football or not.

Gary Jennings WR, Miami Dolphins

Dolphins claimed WR Gary Jennings off waivers from the Seahawks.

Miami brought Jennings in for a pre-draft visit before he struggled across the board as the No. 120 overall pick in Seattle. Jennings (6'1/214) still showed a lot at his workout in Indy, running a 4.42 40 with 83rd-percentile cumulative SPARQ results. The Dolphins have an opening for (any) receiving help with Preston Williams (knee, IR) vacating 99 air yards and 7.5 targets per game.

Related:

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 4:51 PM ET

Someone earlier called it!

I have no idea who the kid is...any talent there to work with?

He was very productive at West Virginia. I was interested in him before last spring's draft. Without looking up the details, I remember his strengths being really good hands, a knack for getting open, and a lot of experience in the passing game. I think the knock on him was that he didn't have great speed and that he was limited to running a simple route tree at WV. I think this could be an underrated pickup for us.

He was very productive at West Virginia. I was interested in him before last spring's draft. Without looking up the details, I remember his strengths being really good hands, a knack for getting open, and a lot of experience in the passing game. I think the knock on him was that he didn't have great speed and that he was limited to running a simple route tree at WV. I think this could be an underrated pickup for us.

When did 4.42 not considered great NFL foot speed?

When did 4.42 not considered great NFL foot speed?
Straight line speed is fine...he lacks agility. Look at his short shuttle and 3-cone. That's not good change of direction. He probably couldn't get separation in practice for Seattle which is why he never saw the field.

This the kid we were all looking to get last draft if I remember correctly. He has potential so its a win-win for us.

Putting him on the 53-man roster and Isiah Ford cleared waivers and is now back on the Practice Squad is also a win-win. The players are young and all can be develop and have potential to be good with proper coaching. With this though, Cordrea Tankersley will not he will be shut down an placed on IR they had until today to make a decision on him. Sucks for the kid he was battling to come back from that ACL. But, I would like to keep him he has shut-down corner ability when he was a rook.

Back
Top Bottom