Dolphins claim WR Gary Jennings | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins claim WR Gary Jennings

I completely appreciate your research. Also thank you for understanding a true take on someone who isn't bs ing. I'm a loser wvu grad. Gold alum who sadly hasn't missed a WVU game since the 90s. I openly admit some bias. But will be able to honestly say without blinking, he does not have route running issues. I really believe he is someone who was pegged as a system guy in a big 12 offense. He has not been properly developed. Seriously he can be 2x Preston w. And I want PW on our team for years to come.

As a fellow WVU grad I have to disagree with you here.

I've always like Jennings and was excited to see him show out at the senior bowl.

The thing that holds him back is that he is a very tight hipped receiver. He doesn't have the wiggle that helps provide create that extra bit of separation you need in the NFL. That being said he's extremely good at catching in traffic, in college it allowed him to come down with a lot of balls.

The other thing is that he's a natural body catcher.

These two traits make me fear for his future success in the NFL. That being said i'm hoping he proves me wrong, he's an awesome kid with a great attitude.

Those drills are good for exercise, but REALLY don't show what a football player is capable of.

3 cone does. If you have bad hips you're chance of a long successful career isn't high. No great WR has a terrible 3 cone like his.

Not to say he won't be decent, but 3 cone is an indicator he probably won't.

Strong Points: Very good WR size and excellent production the past two years. Tests like a very good athlete. Shows he can get open deep at times and make the big play. Strong hands.
Weak Points: Does not play close to his timed speed, nor does he play to his testing numbers (more of a possession receiver). Not physical and not a blocker. West Virginia route tree is minimal. Run-after-catch ability is average for a player with his speed and quickness. Sometimes appears to avoid contact.
The Way We See It: Jennings is a great testing athlete with good production, but his tape isn't very exciting. He usually works in the slot, where he will make the plays that are there. Jennings has good hands and flashes competitiveness in traffic, but he isn't the toughest guy and at times seems to shy away from contact. The West Virginia offense is very simple with a minimal route tree, and its receiving products in recent years have struggled in the NFL. Raw as a route runner, Jennings will need time and coaching, and I can't see him being more than a sixth receiver as a rookie because he doesn't have the toughness to play on special teams. Late pick.

Ted Ginn anyone?

They may have released Jennings after they signed Gordan but they kept these guys instead of him.

2017 7th round WR (139/1 this year)
UDFA from 2013 (200/2 last year)
2019 7th round WR (2 snaps this year)

Barry Jackson reports that Miami liked Jennings and brought him in during pre draft visits. So it makes sense they put in a claim.

Speaking of route running, can any former high school or college WRs fill me in on this concept of "complex" route running? What exactly is a complex route? When I think of route running, I think of running in a line drawn on a white board using some body wiggle or juking to deceive the defender. I understand some routes are also optional based on how the defense is positioned (run a post if you see zone, run a hitch if you see man, etc.), but beyond that I just don't see the complexity of running a route.

Speaking of route running, can any former high school or college WRs fill me in on this concept of "complex" route running? What exactly is a complex route? When I think of route running, I think of running in a line drawn on a white board using some body wiggle or juking to deceive the defender. I understand some routes are also optional based on how the defense is positioned (run a post if you see zone, run a hitch if you see man, etc.), but beyond that I just don't see the complexity of running a route.

Individual routes are complex. The route tree can be massive and each route can have variations depending on the D scheme.

As a fellow WVU grad I have to disagree with you here.

I've always like Jennings and was excited to see him show out at the senior bowl.

The thing that holds him back is that he is a very tight hipped receiver. He doesn't have the wiggle that helps provide create that extra bit of separation you need in the NFL. That being said he's extremely good at catching in traffic, in college it allowed him to come down with a lot of balls.

The other thing is that he's a natural body catcher.

These two traits make me fear for his future success in the NFL. That being said i'm hoping he proves me wrong, he's an awesome kid with a great attitude.
Hey hey fellow WVU alum!! Very nice to meet you. What year. Me '99.

One real question. I'm honestly not sure what you mean by tight hipped. That he's not flexible, can't cut on a route?

One of my favorite positives he has you mentioned. He catches **** in traffic , against blanket coverage. I'm very excited to see what Flo can do with him. He is a def red zone threat.

Ted Ginn anyone?
Not at all.

Elite speed, one route (go deep), and hesitant to take contact (Ted Ginn) is the opposite of a possession receiver.

Physically this kid is 6'1" 215, Ginn is 5'10" 180.

I can't see any similarities at all?

Not at all.

Elite speed, one route (go deep), and hesitant to take contact (Ted Ginn) is the opposite of a possession receiver.

Physically this kid is 6'1" 215, Ginn is 5'10" 180.

I can't see any similarities at all?
Umm... Ginn was a Dolphin, so... Where is your confusion? He's comparing a receiver to a former Dolphins receiver. Hello?

Umm... Ginn was a Dolphin, so... Where is your confusion? He's comparing a receiver to a former Dolphins receiver. Hello?
I get that they were both Dolphins.

I was wondering what about this new player reminded him of Ted Ginn.

I could compare Jakeem Grant to Oronde Gadsden. No idea why I would, but I could.

Hey hey fellow WVU alum!! Very nice to meet you. What year. Me '99.

One real question. I'm honestly not sure what you mean by tight hipped. That he's not flexible, can't cut on a route?

One of my favorite positives he has you mentioned. He catches **** in traffic , against blanket coverage. I'm very excited to see what Flo can do with him. He is a def red zone threat.

'11 for me, go eers

I'm sure someone can do a better job defining that but here goes my version...

Tight hipped is a term to describe WR's that don't have the desired lateral agility that helps them sink into breaks in routes. In my opinion, it's the biggest factor to why DVP hasn't been able to become the stud #1 we wanted him too, he's still able to win with size and speed at times but his tight hips make it easy for Dbacks to predict the route he's about to break into. The golden rule for route running is to make every single route look exactly the same, the ones who can achieve this are the ones with loose-hips. Players like Keenan Allen have actually built pro bowl legacies with loose hips being their distinctive defining trait.

A lot of "complex" routes also have certain footwork involved; stutter steps, hard plants, foot angles, etc.

Back
Top Bottom