Dolphins coach Brian Flores wants Tua Tagovailoa to remain aggressive | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins coach Brian Flores wants Tua Tagovailoa to remain aggressive

Maybe this just means our pass defense is badass and what better way to learn than against a top defense

You can't praise accuracy if you never use it as a weapon.

In a league and game predicated on precision and execution as the foundations of greatness, you can't settle for being "accurate". You have to be able to make precise throws on EVERY play.

It's a game of inches. The inches we need to succeed are all around us.

But you have to be willing to go farther than you did yesterday.

It used to be that 60% accuracy was a measure of elite NFL QBs. Then QBs like Pennington and Brees pushed the bar higher to 65%. Now, we are seeing 70% being the bar and 75% is within relative easy reach.

Dan wowed the league with his quick release and ability to thread the needle. Peyton Manning elevated the cerebral element of the game with his mastery of calling the offense at the LOS and being a field general. Brady's preparation, work ethic and dedication to his craft has set the bar for what excellence looks like as a football life.

But many times, fan reflect on those QBs and their abilities as being "generational" or "once in a lifetime". They are not. They set the bar for future QBs.

When the ceiling becomes the new floor, EVERYONE must adapt.

I don't see Tua's game as close to being where it needs to be for a championship. He needs a LOT of improvement to lead us to a championship. And then once he gets to "elite" status, he needs to push himself farther into another level of himself. If he doesn't constantly evolve and improve, the entire team loses.

As far as this initiative of teaching him to be aggressive, I reflect on one of the best quotes that teaches precision...

Aim small, miss small.
Wow. What a well written response. Great work man.

Aggressive is good. He is just starting his 2nd year, and really, he does need to be more aggressive and forceful. If not, he will probably get benched and Brissett will relieve. I want Tua to play all year, he needs to know just how good his receivers can be, how to push the envelope and pressure the defences. He needs to find out how good he can be.

I like it.

In a league and game predicated on precision and execution as the foundations of greatness, you can't settle for being "accurate". You have to be able to make precise throws on EVERY play.

It used to be that 60% accuracy was a measure of elite NFL QBs. Then QBs like Pennington and Brees pushed the bar higher to 65%. Now, we are seeing 70% being the bar and 75% is within relative easy reach.

Dan wowed the league with his quick release and ability to thread the needle. Peyton Manning elevated the cerebral element of the game with his mastery of calling the offense at the LOS and being a field general. Brady's preparation, work ethic and dedication to his craft has set the bar for what excellence looks like as a football life.

But many times, fan reflect on those QBs and their abilities as being "generational" or "once in a lifetime". They are not. They set the bar for future QBs.

I don't see Tua's game as close to being where it needs to be for a championship. He needs a LOT of improvement to lead us to a championship. And then once he gets to "elite" status, he needs to push himself farther into another level of himself. If he doesn't constantly evolve and improve, the entire team loses.

As far as this initiative of teaching him to be aggressive, I reflect on one of the best quotes that teaches precision...

Aim small, miss small.

Not going to disagree, but I'm uncomfortable with "precision." I suspect everyone here has watched enough football to know even the most elite QBs are often imprecise. Receivers have to reach over their heads, slow down, turn to look over the other shoulder, or, the pass is too high, too low, too far. EVERY quarter of every game. Thus, the frequent comment . . . he should have caught that.
I agree, some QBs can make amazingly accurate throws. Some are more consistent than others. But, I think "You have to be able to make precise throws on EVERY play" is too strong.

Aim small, miss small.

Wait a minute.

70% is the bar?

75% is within easy reach?

A grand total of seven players have had a completion percentage of 70% in a season this millennium.

Nobody has ever had a 75% completion rate in the history of the sport. The closest guys to ever come to that in a season are Drew Brees, Drew Brees, Drew Brees, Sam Bradford (I know, right?), Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

I understand setting high expectations, but that might be a LITTLE overzealous.

Wait a minute.

70% is the bar?

75% is within easy reach?

A grand total of seven players have had a completion percentage of 70% in a season this millennium.

Nobody has ever had a 75% completion rate in the history of the sport. The closest guys to ever come to that in a season are Drew Brees, Drew Brees, Drew Brees, Sam Bradford (I know, right?), Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

I understand setting high expectations, but that might be a LITTLE overzealous.
If you want to win, you don't wait until a trend exists for 10 years to adapt. And you might want to look at the history of the league's highest percentage QBs to see the 70% trend is not only here, but established. Then see that 75% is absolutely on the immediate horizon with the new trend and made even more possible with the league's increased promotion of passing offenses and scoring with rule changes over the past years.

Highest Completion % by Year

1623958829606.png

75% is going to be the new standard very soon. If you don't design your offense to achieve these levels of execution now, you'll be run out of the building weekly by high powered offenses that can score quickly and dominate TOP.

Not identifying this trend is ignoring reality.

If you want to win, you don't wait until a trend exists for 10 years to adapt. And you might want to look at the history of the league's highest percentage QBs to see the 70% trend is not only here, but established. Then see that 75% is absolutely on the immediate horizon with the new trend and made even more possible with the league's increased promotion of passing offenses and scoring with rule changes over the past years.

Highest Completion % by Year

View attachment 78994

75% is going to be the new standard very soon. If you don't design your offense to achieve these levels of execution now, you'll be run out of the building weekly by high powered offenses that can score quickly and dominate TOP.

Not identifying this trend is ignoring reality.

Oh, I can see the trend, but I'm not willing to say that 75% is "the new normal." It just isn't. You notice the outlier there? It's Drew Brees.

Take out Drew Brees and one freak year by Sam Bradford, and the completion percentage has gone up by three percent in 20 years.

Completion percentage is manipulated by the league via refs, rules and penalties. You can't call that trend without identifying the rule changes and application.
Those changes, just like baseball, at this point will fluctuate up and down.

This might be part of the reason Gailey and Flores parted ways... Because no matter what you think of Tua's rookie season, it was absolutely obvious that the offense strategy for Tua in the last few games was Dont **** It up. Never seen so many scripted dump plays in such a short amount of time.

This might be part of the reason Gailey and Flores parted ways... Because no matter what you think of Tua's rookie season, it was absolutely obvious that the offense strategy for Tua in the last few games was Dont **** It up. Never seen so many scripted dump plays in such a short amount of time.
I really thought Flores thinking was with Gailey that Tua would not even play last year but after doing well in practice decided to put him in.......right or wrong. Gailey was here for Fitz so it was time to move on.

tuas timidness was one of my biggest criticisms, i said that he was playing a scared, minimize mistakes style of qb

flores needs to make sure tua stays aggressive, that game manager style of qb'ing we saw last year isnt going to cut it...tua needs to let it rip and realize an int 40 yards down the field isnt the end of the world, take chances down the field, go for the big play, trust players who can go up and get it like gesicki and parker, those guys dont need to be and most likely arent going to be wide open before you need to pull the trigger...

i believe tua has the talent to be successful but ill say it again he just seemed to be hesistant and petrified to make a mistake, if he wants to succeed he needs to trust his receivers and keep his foot on the gas for 4 quarters....im tired of conservative offenses that require 15 play drives to get in field goal range, i want an explosive offense that attacks nonstop

Back
Top Bottom