Dolphins Coaching Upheaval Not Worth Panic | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Coaching Upheaval Not Worth Panic

For me it's been more about the confusion with regard to the asst coaches getting poached or fired. The rumors of the replacements doesn't seem to fit the New England style of offense. Gailey is a dinosaur compared to the system New England runs. As a fan, I'm just worried Flores has made a mistake.

I do find it odd that Oshea remains unemployed. Not just unemployed, but not rumored anywhere for anything to this point

I do find it odd that Oshea remains unemployed. Not just unemployed, but not rumored anywhere for anything to this point
My thinking exactly. Word got out pretty quickly that people within our organization felt he was doing a poor job, so who knows who was picking up the slack or what O'Shea was actually responsible for towards the end of the season? The fact that he's gone ice cold since being fired here makes me think there was definitely more in play behind the scenes.

The Graham transition I could care less about honestly. He didn't have a lot to work with, I'll give him that, but our defense was still poor. Couple that with the fact that Flores is a defensive coach and I don't think we'll miss a beat on that side of the ball with better talent to work with.

Yes, it is time for concern. Hardest part for a new head coach isn't being a "leader", its assembling a good coaching staff. Flores is almost starting back at square one after year one. Remember he fired the OL coach before the season started too.

If I'm a good coach looking for a job, why come to Miami? Flores has shown no patience or loyalty to build a program.

I’m not worried at all. He’s learned from Billichick to cut bait if someone can no longer help you. Doesn’t matter if it was Seymour, Brown, Vrabel etc Billichick moved on if he thought he could improve his team. Flores knows what he likes and doesn’t like. He was friends with O’Shea and Graham and still thought he could do better.
Yep appeasing the fans will have you sitting next to them.

Flores doesn’t give a **** what you, me, the media, or anyone thinks. He’s going to build this team his way however the hell he wants it with the backing and blessing of Ross. If after the 4th or 5th year and this team is still stuck in purgatory, that’s the time to start getting scared.
I agree. We can like it or not like it, but I've been a fan WAY too long to think that in any way we can impact the outcome.

Yes, it is time for concern. Hardest part for a new head coach isn't being a "leader", its assembling a good coaching staff. Flores is almost starting back at square one after year one. Remember he fired the OL coach before the season started too.

If I'm a good coach looking for a job, why come to Miami? Flores has shown no patience or loyalty to build a program.
Why come to Miami? Because Flores has consistently proven that he's going to do whatever it takes to win, which means replacing under performing coaches despite having no pressure on him to do so. Boyer was probably the best position coach we had and he got promoted. There's an honest sense of accountability that most people with self confidence appreciate.

"I'm not going to take this job because I might get fired" That's weak minded thinking, I don't want people like that near this team anyway. If you're truly a good coach, you don't worry about that.

I want people who trust in their abilities and KNOW what they bring to the table.

There may have been an issue with O'Shea's leadership. Considering the rise of Fitz and his popularity with the players, possibly had something to do with O'Shea's demise. I found it odd that O'Shea admitted how much Fitz's experience helped rally the team and how he appreciated and learned from him.

Last edited:
My thinking exactly. Word got out pretty quickly that people within our organization felt he was doing a poor job, so who knows who was picking up the slack or what O'Shea was actually responsible for towards the end of the season? The fact that he's gone ice cold since being fired here makes me think there was definitely more in play behind the scenes.

The Graham transition I could care less about honestly. He didn't have a lot to work with, I'll give him that, but our defense was still poor. Couple that with the fact that Flores is a defensive coach and I don't think we'll miss a beat on that side of the ball with better talent to work with.
I've said from the beginning that I though Flo was having to "hold O'Shea's hand" as far as game plans, etc, and wanted to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball. It may not have come to this, had Caldwell not taken ill, if that is even the whole story with that.

Most of the guys that have left did so of their own volition....when Flores and FO could have blocked the moves. So it would be a plus, knowing that if in a year or two a lateral opportunity comes up that is enticing for whatever reason that Flores has a history of giving his guys the latitude to move.

I've said from the beginning that I though Flo was having to "hold O'Shea's hand" as far as game plans, etc, and wanted to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball. It may not have come to this, had Caldwell not taken ill, if that is even the whole story with that.
Is oshea still jobless? Seems weird.
Haven't heard anything about gugs yet either.
Makes me wonder how good we really could have been last season if Flo had the leader he expected out of shea-ster

So...just to see this all in one spot.....

OLD

Pat Flaherty : OL Coach
Patrick Graham: Defensive coordinator
Tony Oden: safeties coach
Chad O'Shea: Offensive Coordinator
Dave DeGuglielmo, OL Coach
Jerry Schuplinski: Assistant QB coach
Jim Caldwell: QB coach
Josh Boyer: Defensive pass game coordinator/Cornerbacks coach

NEW

Josh Boyer: Defensive coordinator (promoted)
Curt Kuntz: DB Coach (former HS head coach)
Austin Clark: Outside linebacker coach (DL coach at Illini)
Robby Brown: QB coach (special assistant to the head coach and senior analyst (offense) for West Virginia
Chan Gailey: Offensive Coordinator
Steve Marshall: OL coach (former Jets OL coach with Gailey)
Open: Assistant QB Coach

Looks a little scary when you see the comparison, IMO. I am also remembering how Pat Flaherty was rumored to be fired because of the Deiter situation (among other things). Supposedly he said Deiter was not ready. It appears he was correct. Now the guy who replaced him also gets fired?

Am I missing anyone?

Last edited:
Steve Marshall screams ineptitude.

Flores is falling into a path that failures at HC do. Hiring bad assistants that havent had success anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom