Dolphins Could Have A Chance At Getting Haskins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Could Have A Chance At Getting Haskins

I'd definitely take him, play him behind whatever veteran scrub we use this year, then draft another QB in R1 next year. We currently have NOTHING at QB - the most important position in football

Haskins only make sense to me:

1. If he's there at 13.
2. If Miami sits him a year.
3. If Miami is still willing to draft a QB in the Top 5 (preferably at 1) in 2020.

Haskins' combination of inexperience and limited athleticism point to a slow start in the NFL without even considering the situation in Miami.

He does enough good things to say that he has the potential to develop into a quality QB, but he has enough limiting factors that you should still look for better options. Back in January, when everyone was sure Arizona would draft Bosa or Williams or trade back, I said they should draft Murray. Haskins is in the same tier as Rosen, and Tua figures to be in the same tier as Murray. There's a big difference between a 1st RD QB and a Top 10 QB.

What questions?

I also have questions about what kind of QB would Frohm be if he didn't have a top 5 o-line, VERY good rushing attack, and NFL level WR's.

Haskins only make sense to me:

1. If he's there at 13.
2. If Miami sits him a year.
3. If Miami is still willing to draft a QB in the Top 5 (preferably at 1) in 2020.

Haskins' combination of inexperience and limited athleticism point to a slow start in the NFL without even considering the situation in Miami.

He does enough good things to say that he has the potential to develop into a quality QB, but he has enough limiting factors that you should still look for better options. Back in January, when everyone was sure Arizona would draft Bosa or Williams or trade back, I said they should draft Murray. Haskins is in the same tier as Rosen, and Tua figures to be in the same tier as Murray. There's a big difference between a 1st RD QB and a Top 10 QB.

Haskins's lack of athleticism limits him which is why I have him in the third round. And I agree prospects like Tua and Murray are a notch above all others as were Mayfield and Mahomes. If the team fails at acquiring elite talent, I'd rather they draft a combination of Stick/Stidham and Stanley/Montez or another next year. A top 15 pick this year and a top 5 the next is way too much.

FWIW, if we're going to draft a QB with our first pick this year then I don't want to hear about drafting another QB with our first pick in 2020. That would be a wasted pick this year if we did that. I'd rather draft a player that will start for us for the next 10 years and then get a QB in 2020. Whichever QB we pick either this year or next will need help. Using first round picks to draft QB's in the first round two years in a row means we used a first round pick in a QB to be a back up.

FWIW, if we're going to draft a QB with our first pick this year then I don't want to hear about drafting another QB with our first pick in 2020. That would be a wasted pick this year if we did that. I'd rather draft a player that will start for us for the next 10 years and then get a QB in 2020. Whichever QB we pick either this year or next will need help. Using first round picks to draft QB's in the first round two years in a row means we used a first round pick in a QB to be a back up.

Agree. If a guy is a Ryan Leaf type bust, you have to move on immediately, but in most cases, you can't realistically make that judgment after 1 year.

Certainly not if the team around him is talent challenged, installing a new offensive system, etc as the Phins are.

That's the over riding reason I am in favor of passing on QB in the early rounds this year.

If you can't field a competent O-line, you are dooming a young QB to failure.

What questions?

I see zero evidence of lack of arm strength in that clip.

As per the thread I, too, believe this is a smokescreen.

Haskins at 13? I don’t know how a team with a dire need at QB passes on a top 2 talent QB that falls on their lap. That’s a tough decision.

I know many are frothing at the mouth for next year. My mom always tells me, “Honey, always remember that the light directly in-front of you is the light that lights the way and never put off for tomorrow what you can do today.”

We’d just have to have Arizona’s balls to abandon the project after a single year if Haskins sh!ts the bed. If Haskins is terrible and leads us to a top 3 pick in 2020, would we have the cojones to take another QB? I doubt it.

If we are all in for next year, IMO, the move should be without a doubt a trade back. You have to get as close to a guarantee, as one can get, to have the ammo to trade up if need be.

I have my way of evaluating which is better than your team. When Tannehill was a consensus first rounder in 2012, I had him in the fifth along with Griffin. Cousins and Keenum in the third, Foles in the fourth, and Osweiler being undraftable. Since, the only qb that could've been easily acquired that showed franchise potential was Garopollo whom I wanted them to draft.

Even doing this in an amateurish way, I've learned to trust myself over a merry band of dumb experts in Davie.

We have Tunsil at LT, that's it on the whole OL for 2019. They better shore up the line this year before putting any rookie in there or they are dead meat! Pass this year and get one next year.

This isn't getting enough attention. The young QBs that have been successful have done so with a solid team around them already. Can't keep throwing these kids to the wolves and expect them to thrive

I have my way of evaluating which is better than your team. When Tannehill was a consensus first rounder in 2012, I had him in the fifth along with Griffin. Cousins and Keenum in the third, Foles in the fourth, and Osweiler being undraftable. Since, the only qb that could've been easily acquired that showed franchise potential was Garopollo whom I wanted them to draft.

Even doing this in an amateurish way, I've learned to trust myself over a merry band of dumb experts in Davie.
Apparently Nostradamus has taken up residence in South Florida

Very true, Danny. But,

“You gotta know when to hold ‘em
know when to fold ‘em
know when to walk away
know when to run.”

I applaud Arizona for not taking the “you’re not suppose to do that” approach and do what they are about to do.

And you can look at the #1 pick backup as Jesus Christ what a waste or Jesus Christ we have 2 ones on the roster, one continuing to learn while he sits.

But I’m with you. I believe it would be a waste even though it wouldn’t stop me from doing it if I were the GM. 2 first round picks, even if consecutively, would be forgiven if you find your franchise QB. Heck, it would be celebrated.

Haskins's lack of athleticism limits him which is why I have him in the third round. And I agree prospects like Tua and Murray are a notch above all others as were Mayfield and Mahomes. If the team fails at acquiring elite talent, I'd rather they draft a combination of Stick/Stidham and Stanley/Montez or another next year. A top 15 pick this year and a top 5 the next is way too much.

Agree with most of this, but Haskins throws with great touch, and he's natural at varying his trajectory. When you factor in his accuracy and intelligence, you get a QB who can help you win games. You just need a high-quality OL and a smart OC. Because of the importance of the position, and because there are only so many QB's who can help you win games, that's still worth a 1st to me.

I also disagree that Mahomes was a notch above Watson. Mahomes landed in the best situation a 1st RD QB had seen in a decade plus. He capitalized in a big way. Credit to him. Watson landed in a terrible situation, where no QB before him looked even decent. Then they traded away his only decent Offensive Lineman, who happened to play LT. If Andy Reid is a 9 or 10 as a playcaller, O'Brien is a 2 or 3. Despite all that, he posted one of the highest completion percentages above expectation in the NFL last season.

Back
Top Bottom