Dolphins Could Have A Chance At Getting Haskins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Could Have A Chance At Getting Haskins

Look what happened when his old-school coach put him back in the game with one working leg you mean...
I wouldn't know. I haven't seen any of his games in the pros. But how's his accuracy? Qbs like him only ever improve their accuracy marginally.

Not that I agree with skillskill's evaluation of QBs, but the track record of Heisman winning QBs is pretty underwhelming at the next level.

They say hindsight is 20/20...who knows what the best college football player is going to do when he hits the pros. Who knew Archie Griffin would flame out after winning back to back?

I'm of the thought that QB's drafted in the 6th round don't normally turn into 1st ballot HOFer, gold standard for the position. That piggybacks my statement that besides possibly Charlie Ward, who told the NFL he was playing basketball, there has been no Heisman winning QB who had a 5th round grade on them.

I'll ask you...what grade did you give RGIII coming out of college?

Agree with most of this, but Haskins throws with great touch, and he's natural at varying his trajectory. When you factor in his accuracy and intelligence, you get a QB who can help you win games. You just need a high-quality OL and a smart OC. Because of the importance of the position, and because there are only so many QB's who can help you win games, that's still worth a 1st to me.

I've got a couple questions for you if you dont mind...

1) How likely is it that Haskins is the best player available(regardless of position) in range 10-13?
2) Are Haskins and Rosen close enough in terms of talent that you'd consider passing on Haskins at 13 if you could get Rosen for a 2nd?

Run first?

You have to make up your mind...

Either you value mobility and 40 times, as you are doing here against Foles...or you don't value 40 times, as you did against RGIII. What you said was that he wasn't athletic. He was recruited to Georgetown...among other D1 schools for basketball. One of the most athletic sports on the books.

Nick Foles judgement with the ball can be condensed into two situations...his memorable season with Philly the 1st go 'round...and his Super Bowl run with Philly his 2nd. With the exception of Marino, have we ever had a QB with such "judgement"?
I loved watching Dan play, but judgment was not his strong suit. He didn't need it. His sheer talent as a passer, and innate pocket awareness allowed him to beat defenders even when they knew what was coming

I recently had a conversation with a younger fan who never saw him play, who asked if Marino was really "all that".

My response was yeah, Dan had the attitude of I'm throwing to him, and you can't stop me.

I like Haskins a lot. I was hyping him up mid season, and in SOME WAYS (key right there) I think he's more ready for the NFL than Murray is. While it is understandable to be concerned by the system he came from, you cannot look past how he completely changed how Urban Meyer called offense.

Now the biggest question for Haskins is his ability to improvise. There were times this year where it looked like he absolutely refused to run when it was there. While Haskins obviously isn't fast when he did decide to move he was effective. But the only reason he started to move was Urban and Day started to take him out in the redzone and put Tate Marshall in.

In short the question with Murray is can he deal with pressure and how much of the issue is experience or how much is truly something he cannot do. I personally an more than happy to take a shot on Haskins. His throwing ability is something I admire

Agree with most of this, but Haskins throws with great touch, and he's natural at varying his trajectory. When you factor in his accuracy and intelligence, you get a QB who can help you win games. You just need a high-quality OL and a smart OC. Because of the importance of the position, and because there are only so many QB's who can help you win games, that's still worth a 1st to me.

I also disagree that Mahomes was a notch above Watson. Mahomes landed in the best situation a 1st RD QB had seen in a decade plus. He capitalized in a big way. Credit to him. Watson landed in a terrible situation, where no QB before him looked even decent. Then they traded away his only decent Offensive Lineman, who happened to play LT. If Andy Reid is a 9 or 10 as a playcaller, O'Brien is a 2 or 3. Despite all that, he posted one of the highest completion percentages above expectation in the NFL last season.

I've got to admit that I wasn't clamoring for either Mahomes or Watson during the draft. I remember ck brought up Mahomes... I watched him, but I couldn't remember what my first impression of him was only that I didn't bother to dig deeper. It was only some months ago when I watched his college games that would've made me rate him as one of the most gifted passers ever. The same with Watson. He should've warranted more evaluation time from especially when he almost beat Alabama twice.

They say hindsight is 20/20...who knows what the best college football player is going to do when he hits the pros. Who knew Archie Griffin would flame out after winning back to back?

I'm of the thought that QB's drafted in the 6th round don't normally turn into 1st ballot HOFer, gold standard for the position. That piggybacks my statement that besides possibly Charlie Ward, who told the NFL he was playing basketball, there has been no Heisman winning QB who had a 5th round grade on them.

I'll ask you...what grade did you give RGIII coming out of college?
I'll be honest here. I would have taken him in a heartbeat. He absolutely dripped athletic ability, and you can't teach that.

I would have also tried to coach some of the superman attitude out of him, and would have been unsuccessful.

I wouldn't have thought that a QB could possibly fall to Miami @#13. Now it certainly looks like one of the top 3 will potentially be available when Miami is on the clock. With Murrey almost certainly going #1 and the Giants now having indecisiveness at #6; it could mean Either Lock or Haskins could fall. As for 2020, Miami looks to be securing enough of draft capital to potentially maneuver to get into position to select a QB. Of all the QB's who could be available in 2020, Hebert is the one, who comes with the most question Mark's. He's certainly talented, but when reading up on him; there seems to be a lot of questions about his mental capabilities. I'd be concerned about that moving forward.

Reactions: A1.
Run first?

You have to make up your mind...

Either you value mobility and 40 times, as you are doing here against Foles...or you don't value 40 times, as you did against RGIII. What you said was that he wasn't athletic. He was recruited to Georgetown...among other D1 schools for basketball. One of the most athletic sports on the books.

Nick Foles judgement with the ball can be condensed into two situations...his memorable season with Philly the 1st go 'round...and his Super Bowl run with Philly his 2nd. With the exception of Marino, have we ever had a QB with such "judgement"?

Evaluating is an inexact process. What does it matter what a Georgetown backetball scout thinks of Foles athletically? It's a different sport and they were wrong if they thought he was athletically gifted. I trust what I see and the 40 time confirms it and I also provided another view who didn't think much of his athleticism. If you're going to answer one thing from this post, answer this: Name me any NFL prospect under 250 pounds who ran a 5 and over in the 40 who is thought of as being athletic.

Last edited:
What is Haskins like intangible-wise, on/off the field? I ask because I have a sense of who he is as a QB...arm talent/mobility/athleticism....but I'm curious what's his decision-making like, leadership...what's he like off the field?

Can anyone enlighten me?

What is Haskins like intangible-wise, on/off the field? I ask because I have a sense of who he is as a QB...arm talent/mobility/athleticism....but I'm curious what's his decision-making like, leadership...what's he like off the field?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Where would you draft him...better yet, what round would you draft him?

"The 2019 quarterback class hasn't generated the buzz of the last year's star-studded group, but there are indeed franchise-quarterback candidates and future starters available. Haskins is a five-star player with the arm talent, IQ and pocket-passing skills to set the NFL world on fire. Despite only one year of starting experience at Ohio State, the Heisman Trophy finalist flashes the maturity to be a QB1 from Day 1."

https://247sports.com/Article/Four-Buckeyes-ranked-in-top-5-at-their-position-by-NFLcom-130041912

Love this kid.

I believe March 23 is his pro day.

Love Haskins as well. I just think there are too many teams picking ahead of Miami that need quarterbacks. Starting with Arizona, then the Raiders, Tampa Bay, NY Giants, Denver. I could see Jon Gruden taking Haskins at #4. We know how much he loves quarterbacks and he must know you can only get so far with Derek Carr type qb's.

I'm also curious about HASKINS. The mention of his lack of foot speed/not fleet of foot? My question is how is his pocket awareness/mobility in the pocket? DAN the MAN wasn't exactly a speed demon himself but besides that incredible release, his movement in the pocket was Hall of Fame caliber. Not sure if he isn't THE BEST EVER at movement inside the pocket!

So how's HASKINS movement in the pocket?

Back
Top Bottom