Dolphins' Defense-Contender or Pretender? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Defense-Contender or Pretender?

Does it really matter? It's doubtful the new HC and team of coaches he brings along will be running the same defense as Flo. We have no idea what our Defense will look like next season.

Judging the past season I see more of a pretender than contender, We don't have that ONE play maker that defines our D ... Usually a standout linebacker or pass rusher takes the spotlight but we don't have THAT guy. Because of the inconsistency, pointed out by the OP, we can't be considered contenders on defense ... if you are a top tier team, we are more like a speed bump that can cause damage if ignored

Our defense for the season:

DVOA 10th
YPP allowed tied for 10th-12th
Takeaways 7th
Points allowed 15th.
Yards per game allowed 16th.

Yes stats sometimes lie, but I think they do a better job of looking at a season overall.
Our defense was better than average, but not elite. Overall somewhere around 10-12th. (I think the first 2 stats paint the best picture)

Not a "pretender" They're just words, but I'd say "barely a contender."

2021 Rankings:

Points Against-16th
Yards Allowed-15th
Rush YPG-14th
PassingYPG-16th
TO's-8th

8 Games against teams with losing records with a combined 35-84 record.
In those games, the Dolphins gave up 16.5 PPG and went 5-3

9 games against teams with winning records with a combined 74-45 record.
In those games, the Dolphins gave up 26.8 PPG and went 3-6

IMO, this D has a lot of room for improvement and is more of a pretender than a contender. Other than NE, the only other team with a winning record we beat was a New Orleans team that was playing with their practice squad. During our winning streak, we basically played most of the worst offensive teams in the NFL. These numbers are not adjusted for Defensive scores.

What say you?
D is solid. We just need two hard hitting safeties to lay the smack on opposing receivers who dare to catch any passes against our D. Ok. One hard hitting safety.

Back
Top Bottom