Dolphins Defensive Lineman Kendrick Norton In Critical Condition After Car Accident | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Defensive Lineman Kendrick Norton In Critical Condition After Car Accident

Man, as a Canes fan/alum this is heartbreaking news. I hope Isaiah Pead reaches out to him having dealt with something similar. Prayers to him and his family and I hope he recovers as much as possible.

What a bummer.

i really have to quit following players on social media..i know my wife got me into it. 2 hours after posting prayers up to Norton from Gawdchaux on IG, he was filming himself driving down the road singing to the phone and paying more attention to IG and the phone than the road.

Has the team commented? I’m interested to know what they’re going to do to support him financially.

Has the team commented? I’m interested to know what they’re going to do to support him financially.

Could be wrong but I don't believe the team is under any obligation to
support him monetarily because of the accident. Unsure on this but I
would assume the players are somehow covered via a disability policy
that may or may not apply to "accidents" non-related to football...

Maybe someone with more direct insight can elaborate on this???

BTW -- no mention of this on the teams website... I find that a bit "lacking."

Could be wrong but I don't believe the team is under any obligation to
support him monetarily because of the accident. Unsure on this but I
would assume the players are somehow covered via a disability policy
that may or may not apply to "accidents" non-related to football...

Maybe someone with more direct insight can elaborate on this???

BTW -- no mention of this on the teams website... I find that a bit "lacking."

I think this is something that will be handled through the NFLPA.

I don't think the team itself is the one that will be handling it.

Sad news. Difficult to say what happened but I was not surprised at the location. That's not the greatest engineering design, as Dolphin Expressway merges to Palmetto Expressway south...836 to 826 if you prefer numbers.

I have had trouble there more than once. Much more frequently than once. It is tight and abrupt and the barriers tend to blend. I have to start mentally reminding myself well in advance to get in that left lane and stay there, no matter what the speed demon honkers and light flashers from behind think about it. Once I reach Mel Reese Golf course just east of the airport I start thinking about that transition from 836 to 826 and getting in the left lane. Otherwise you might never be allowed to move over.

Of course, that is during heavily trafficked conditions. At 1 AM the only logical problem is sharp diagonal lane changing drivers, which unfortunately are so commonplace in this area, even at high speeds. I drive during the wee hours all the time. In Dade and Broward vehicles will flash from behind at absurd speed and change lanes as if nothing could possibly go wrong. There are never enough officers out there to pull them over, so the dangerous practice continues, like a game. I could see a issue in that transition area if a vehicle was heading west on 836 at high speed and suddenly realized it needed to go south on 826 but was not in the proper lane. The entrance occurs much sooner than expected and requires a radical shift left.

Of course, that is mostly speculation but once I read Norton was cut off, and where it happened, that's the immediate scenario and imagery that came to mind.

Not far away from there the Palmetto Expressway bottleneck was smartly redesigned at Flagler Street heading north or south. But that transition from 836 to 826 was not their best work. If anything, make the barriers more obvious and viewable at a distance.

Sad news. Difficult to say what happened but I was not surprised at the location. That's not the greatest engineering design, as Dolphin Expressway merges to Palmetto Expressway south...836 to 826 if you prefer numbers.

I have had trouble there more than once. Much more frequently than once. It is tight and abrupt and the barriers tend to blend. I have to start mentally reminding myself well in advance to get in that left lane and stay there, no matter what the speed demon honkers and light flashers from behind think about it. Once I reach Mel Reese Golf course just east of the airport I start thinking about that transition from 836 to 826 and getting in the left lane. Otherwise you might never be allowed to move over.

Of course, that is during heavily trafficked conditions. At 1 AM the only logical problem is sharp diagonal lane changing drivers, which unfortunately are so commonplace in this area, even at high speeds. I drive during the wee hours all the time. In Dade and Broward vehicles will flash from behind at absurd speed and change lanes as if nothing could possibly go wrong. There are never enough officers out there to pull them over, so the dangerous practice continues, like a game. I could see a issue in that transition area if a vehicle was heading west on 836 at high speed and suddenly realized it needed to go south on 826 but was not in the proper lane. The entrance occurs much sooner than expected and requires a radical shift left.

Of course, that is mostly speculation but once I read Norton was cut off, and where it happened, that's the immediate scenario and imagery that came to mind.

Not far away from there the Palmetto Expressway bottleneck was smartly redesigned at Flagler Street heading north or south. But that transition from 836 to 826 was not their best work. If anything, make the barriers more obvious and viewable at a distance.

I haven't been in that area for probably 20 years -- but the accident was near Miami International yes? Specifically west of the airport on 836? At first I thought the accident was the ramp area on 826 where you catch 75N.

Anyway I know the insanity of SFL young drivers (and some older ones too) who treat the expressways like raceways...
I was assuming he would have been heading N, but based on your post maybe not?

Wish him well. But tomorrow is never guaranteed. He should count his blessings and find a new path in life.

Heard the news first thing this morning. It really hits home and hits hard. I live here in Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area and there's just way too many unsafe drivers. The other day some moron ran me off of I95 at about 65 mph. I had to whip to the right to avoid the guy and only by the grace of God was there not a car there. I caught up with the guy and told him he needs driving lessons! He gave me the finger and drove away. That's Miami for ya.

I pray for Kendrick and send him strength because he's got a long road back.

Back
Top Bottom