Dolphins' Draft: Between Certainty and Speculation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Draft: Between Certainty and Speculation

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've started looking at the draft hard. I have several opinions which I rank by their likelihood:

Very Certain:

1) We will make every attempt to trade down. The big question--perhaps our biggest--is with whom?

Quite Likely:

2) The Vikings will not trade their two first-round picks with ours. They will take their chances and hope Edwards or Williams falls to the #7 overall. Remember, the Vikings have let other teams leapfrog them on draft day, allowing them to pick up the player they wanted for less money.

Less Certain, but Still Likely:

3) We are not going to draft a running back with our first pick. There is too much depth at the position in this draft. We will more likely look for a unique opportunity with this pick.

Complete Speculation:

4) Actions speak louder than words, and although Saban claims we won't have a 3-4 defense next year, his signing Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holiday, and Tebucky Jones (an ex-Patriot) signals his desire for a multiple-front defense. We have personnel in place to do this on the defensive line, but not in our backing core. Our linebackers are too small (save Junior Seau, who is near the end of his great career). With this analysis, I can see Saban wanting to trade down to pick up Shawne Merriman, LB. He might not play much next year, but will help us in the transformation to an ideal multiple-front defense. I claim that Saban's apparent lack of interest might be due to his not wanting to tip other teams off. A second possiblity is safety Thomas Davis.

I like the way you broke its down all the way I agree with you until the point of speculation there I stronly disagree since yourself remarked that Saban will try to take advantage of the #2 pick if cant trade down or in any other situation he will go with something important, I think WR or QB are the main difference makers, who knows up to this point and up to April 22 we will never know nothing.

heres what my hope is...we trade spots with cleveland so they can get smith then trade down with someone else who wants one of the 2 big WRs screw minny.

Pretty solid post. I have no idea what Saban will do, but your suggestions sound relatively probable.

Back
Top Bottom