Dolphins draft strategy | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins draft strategy

To be fair, we’ve been miserable drafting early as well at every position. Our last three good first round picks in the last decade are all off the roster. 4 I’d you count vontae Davis
Lets hope that turns around with the new regime. I like what I see so far buy this draft is critical for Grier.

Just did a couple of mock draft simulator to give an overview of what a value based draft would look like. I did 3 with different QBs for diversification sake.

The Tua way:

#5 Tua QB
#18 Tee Higgins WR
#26 Trevon Diggs CB
#39 Prince Tega Wanogho OT
#56 Cesar Ruiz IOL
#70 Josh Jones OT
#135 Marlon Davidson EDGE
#144 Bryan Edwards WR
#147 Ezra Cleveland OT
#165 Isaiah Hodgins WR
#177 Nate Landman LB
#222 Akeeem Davis-Gaither LB

The Herbert way

#5 Andrew Thomas OT
#18 Justin Herbert QB
#26 Josh Jones OT
#39 Jalen Reagor WR
#56 Antoine Winfield Jr. S
#70 Darrell Taylor EDGE
#135 Trajan Bandy CB
#144 Isaiah Hodgins WR
#147 Micheal Onwenu IOL
#165 Antoine Brooks Jr. S
#177 Antonio Gibson RB
#222 Binjimen Victor WR

The Love way

#5 Tristan Wirfs OT
#18 Tee Higgins WR
#26 Jordan Love QB
#39 Austin Jackson OT
#56 Antoine Winfield Jr. S
#70 Darrell Taylor EDGE
#135 Bryan Edwards WR
#144 Micheal Onwenu IOL
#147 Davon Hamilton IDL
#165 Chase Lucas CB
#177 Justin Herron OT
#222 Trey Sermon

Keep in mind Im not a talent spotter, especially with draft prospects... This is more about what kind of position groups I would target at different spots in the draft...

Thanks! I didn't know about the bad hip! What's the deal with hip injuries all of a sudden. Those hip issues are real trouble.

Wirfs at 5? He better be Jim "FREAKING"Parker!!!! Hall Of Fame LT for the Unitas led Colts for you youngsters!! He could be Ogden or Munoz, I could live with that. I really think we better nail down QB with that #5, get your man in the fold like the Giants did with Daniel Jones. I'm not saying I love Jones but the Giants had a conviction and snagged him. Win, lose or draw I admired their style. That's how we should approach this draft. You can't draft scared and that's exactly what I think we've been guilty of. Forget all these ultra safe picks, get some super stars in the house.

I don't think the writer of the article has amy more insight than some here at Finheaven, TBH.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that O-line is the primary unit that needs to be addressed.

One thing the story is correct about, is that every shortcoming can not be solved in one offseason.

Aside from the line, a solid edge would seem to be imperative.

The writer does have a better perspective than many on this board. The writer points out that it is critical to be efficient with each decision, invest in areas traditionally neglected by this franchise, and keep the long term best interest of the team in mind. Trying to fix the glaring weakness might not be in the best long term interest of the team.

You are correct that his details are not insightful, but I would argue that the big picture is spot on target.

I disagree
In today’s NFL - 100 million plus to spend and 7 of the top 100 athletes/players out of college - 15 total draft picks - plus 10 to 15 quality players...Xavien Howard, Gisecki, Parker, Rowe, and so on...

this team is poised to take the league by storm.

this is strange to say but COACHING is SO MUCH of the difference...

also team building...

Miami will make a run for it this coming season!!!!
I think you missed the point of the article. Spending 100 million on 7 top athletes would be the same short term fix the holes approach that has failed repeatedly. We want to maximize value by acquiring available players that raise the talent level of the team, we want to retain players that will be valuable over 4 to 6 year periods, we want to take well thought out risks on draft picks that will be valuable over the long term, and we want to invest where we have skimped in the past.

I’m not a proponent of any quarterback I dare say. The Willis and apensa picks are outstanding in my opinion. I’m a firm believer having played and coached football to this point in my life that games are won and lost in the trenches. Strong offensive and defensive lines are the key. Tua has all the intangibles you could look for in a franchise quarterback. If he checks out medically and redshirts his rookie season why not? Herbert would not be my guy. I like love more than Herbert. Burrow and tua I have on the same level.

Hey guys first post here. Saw this mock for the first round and I don’t think it could be any better.

WELCOME
Obviously know nothing about your background, but place no faith in mocks. They serve to generate discussion during the slow part of the year.
As you'll find out, the quality of a mock varies among posters

Back
Top Bottom