Dolphins draft strategy | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins draft strategy

I would just say it's not as big of a need as several other positions.
I think its as big of a need as any other position excluding OL and DBs, considering Fins are moving into a spread offense. The top 2 guys are Preston Williams and Devante Parker, both struggle to get separation on a consistant basis, then you got 2 smaller guys in Grant and Wilson, they really cant be counted on at this point and the latter is up for a new contract after next season...

I actually think it would be really nice to move on from Albert with a good WR ready to move up playing for peanuts...

I think its as big of a need as any other position excluding OL and DBs, considering Fins are moving into a spread offense. The top 2 guys are Preston Williams and Devante Parker, both struggle to get separation on a consistant basis, then you got 2 smaller guys in Grant and Wilson, they really cant be counted on at this point and the latter is up for a new contract after next season...

I actually think it would be really nice to move on from Albert with a good WR ready to move up playing for peanuts...
Well to be fair, OL is multiple positions, as is DBs, so it's not like we are only talking about 2 players. Edge defender/pass rusher is also above WR, IMO.

I would suggest that RB is far weaker as well, but I'm not big on RB with a rd1 pick.

I realize that some of these needs will be addressed in FA, but even so, I'm not seeing a rd1 WR selection, and probably not rd2.

Well to be fair, OL is multiple positions, as is DBs, so it's not like we are only talking about 2 players. Edge defender/pass rusher is also above WR, IMO.

I would suggest that RB is far weaker as well, but I'm not big on RB with a rd1 pick.

I realize that some of these needs will be addressed in FA, but even so, I'm not seeing a rd1 WR selection, and probably not rd2.
Fair enough, I realize I dont view things the same way as most... Im not trying to fix the weakest parts of the team, Im trying to strenghten the most important parts instead...

I also believe the Fins WR are overrated, the Fins are the team with the most drops in the league in 2019(Parker, Williams and Wilson account for more than half of their drops), and their top guys are mediocre at getting separation except for Wilson who's contact is up after next season...

That being said, with all being equal, I'd rather they go after a QB and Tackles before they consider WR...

Fair enough, I realize I dont view things the same way as most... Im not trying to fix the weakest parts of the team, Im trying to strenghten the most important parts instead...

I also believe the Fins WR are overrated, the Fins are the team with the most drops in the league in 2019(Parker, Williams and Wilson account for more than half of their drops), and their top guys are mediocre at getting separation except for Wilson who's contact is up after next season...

That being said, with all being equal, I'd rather they go after a QB and Tackles before they consider WR...
I would hazzard a guess that most ppl view the trenches as the most important part of a team, other than QB.

You can't win on a sustained basis, and certainly not in the playoffs without good line play.

I know it isn't sexy, or exciting, but it is important.

So good your said it twice. In terms of feedback, I love it, I'm thinking though we have to go CB instead of one of your safeties there though as the drop off in this CB class seems pretty steep, think we can get a Blackmon or JR Reid lower do to still get 2 safeties which we need out of this but we also desperately need at least one CB (two if the Howard situation is serious).
Fair criticism. So the value was just too good to pass and I figure let’s put McCain at slot, Needham for depth and buy a CB.

I would hazzard a guess that most ppl view the trenches as the most important part of a team, other than QB.

You can't win on a sustained basis, and certainly not in the playoffs without good line play.

I know it isn't sexy, or exciting, but it is important.
To be fair, I wrote " I realize I dont view things the same way as most " in the 1st sentence of the post you quoted. I wouldnt use the top of the draft to fix holes for the upcoming season, Im using it to get high cost players on cheap contracts. I'd use later round and FA for the inside trenches and only once Im solid at OL, QB, WR and CB would I start considering other positions early...

I'd always be open to exceptions but that would be my overall strategy...

What makes you say that?

Emergence of Parker, hopefully Preston comes back and continues to improve. Also, can’t throw to a WR from your back. They need 5 linemen l before they even think about spending significant resources on WR.

A LT at 18? Seems counterproductive that we trade our top 10 LT to roll the dice on one mid first round. I mean, I agree but just find the dumping of talent and not playing Rosen so ridiculously stupid I can’t seem to get over it
We have to get a talented LT. Draft position and prior trades be damned

Agreed, and the draft is the way to go. FA tackles cost a fortune for average players. Look what James got, and that was for a RT.

Tunsil was a good (not great) player. We got 2 rd1 and a rd2 for him. There's nothing to complain about there.

I used to be from the JJ school of OL drafting, get them later on, but we have been miserable at that for a decade. Some of our castoffs are starters elsewhere, albeit not good one's. I now believe with this many choices and so little talent on the OL, I just want it fixed. I think a LT in the first, although we may have to trade up to get the one we want, and another blue chip Ol in the second. We still need Edge and Corner in the first five picks(QB #1?). IMO

Not disagreeing but the “strategy” baffles me. It’s like being “pot committed” but drawing dead.

I used to be from the JJ school of OL drafting, get them later on, but we have been miserable at that for a decade. Some of our castoffs are starters elsewhere, albeit not good one's. I now believe with this many choices and so little talent on the OL, I just want it fixed. I think a LT in the first, although we may have to trade up to get the one we want, and another blue chip Ol in the second. We still need Edge and Corner in the first five picks(QB #1?). IMO

To be fair, we’ve been miserable drafting early as well at every position. Our last three good first round picks in the last decade are all off the roster. 4 I’d you count vontae Davis

Back
Top Bottom