Dolphins Facing Interesting Decisions On Two Veteran Receivers. The Potential Fallout | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Facing Interesting Decisions On Two Veteran Receivers. The Potential Fallout

I'm passing on Parker. He's had his chances. He's in the Harris club as far as I'm concerned.

I'm passing on Parker. He's had his chances. He's in the Harris club as far as I'm concerned.
Parker was a miss, but at the time, he was considered a solid pick.

Harris, on the other hand, was a mistake. The SR on him was that, in spite of being quick, he was slow, and didn't hold up against the run.

Parker was a miss, but at the time, he was considered a solid pick.

Devante Parker was a 3-star recruit, with only regional interest and a handful of offers. The Dolphins continue to ignore big picture stuff like that, regarding how a player has stacked up against his peers all his life. They use the flawed approach of only watching the most recent stuff and concluding it is all you need to know. It is identical to fans watching the most recent game and changing opinion based on the result.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2011/devante-parker-23946

I remember watching this video breakdown of Parker prior to the draft. I may have posted it here at some point. I am not sure. But I bookmarked it, to the point I still had it today. The guy was generally positive about Parker but he detected the same things I saw several times during the season and in person at the Canes/Louisville bowl game, that Parker would make the easy plays but he had poor instincts and not much fight on the 50/50 balls.

Here, I'll merely paste the guys words, (long extended quote) from prior to that draft. Turned out to be very astute:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4...raft-devante-parker-breakdown-scouting-report

"One of the reasons I'm not quite as high on Parker as other evaluators is that while he made a lot of those big plays, he also seemed to give away several big plays. Like, here is a guy that obviously knows how to go up and high point a back shoulder fade. With his height and leaping ability, he should be a monster on those routes. And he was a monster ... just not consistently.

I can live with a receiver not catching some contested balls in those situations -- there's a reason we call them 50/50 balls in the first place. My problem with Parker was that he didn't always appear to fight for the ball when he had an opportunity.

Sometimes that lack of fight manifested itself in Parker not actually jumping to catch the ball at the highest point possible, where he could ensure that he would be the only person with a chance to catch it. Instead, he sometimes allowed shorter, less physically gifted corners make plays on the ball because he allowed it to get to a lower point where the corner could get to it.

I hope that makes sense. If not, then hopefully watching the GIFs will make it clearer.

It's like a tall basketball player who can jump really high but is a sh**ty rebounder. Instead of jumping up over his opponents to get the ball when it comes off the rim all the time, he opts to stay on the ground every once in awhile and just reach up with his arms as if that will be enough to get the job done."

I'd try to trade everyone over 30 that I can find takers for.
Trade guys over 30. It’s so laughable I can’t even describe it. It never happens. Nobody is trading for our aging guys over 30. Pipe dream. Forget about it.

Where do people come up with this stuff. RT? Possibly a trade. Possibly. At best and mid to low pick. That’s it people.

Plenty of talent. Just not enough want it. At least while in Miami.

Seems like a lot of wasted talent now. Words I’d probably use is plays content.

With Chris Grier staying this ships probably sailed. Tender rescind a given.

Last edited:
Trade guys over 30. It’s so laughable I can’t even describe it. It never happens. Nobody is trading for our aging guys over 30. Pipe dream. Forget about it.

Where do people come up with this stuff. RT? Possibly a trade. Possibly. At best and mid to low pick. That’s it people.
so are you suggesting we build by keeping all those vets? I don't expect to get offers for all of them but they can at least try. If we find no takers then cut the ones you can cut. You have a better idea then lets hear it.

so are you suggesting we build by keeping all those vets? I don't expect to get offers for all of them but they can at least try. If we find no takers then cut the ones you can cut. You have a better idea then lets hear it.
You cut them. No one is trading for a player over 30 unless he’s still megaproductive or he’s a QB and that’s even a stretch.

This isn’t Madden.

I’d like to hear from you what trade value we could get for any player on the current roster that is over 30.

You cut them. No one is trading for a player over 30 unless he’s still megaproductive or he’s a QB and that’s even a stretch.

This isn’t Madden.

I’d like to hear from you what trade value we could get for any player on the current roster that is over 30.
It occasionally happens, but we really don't have any veterans with substantial trade value, if any trade value at all.

For the Phins, it's an even bigger issue because of the unwise contracts we have given out.

Jones, for example, might a guy that some team would be willing to give a 4th for, but not with that contract.

This isn’t Madden.

Not much for most of them. At best a late round pick for one or two of them. I should have been more specific when I first posted. When I said "trade all over 30" I meant TRY to trade everyone over 30 and see if you find any takers. I don't expect it but sometimes it happens.

Albert Wilson was the 5th option in KC, he was a JAG.

It says something that his first stint as starter and increased snaps, he lasted 7 games. He isn't Tyreek Hill or a Kareem Hunt, but Miami has been so starved for a playmaker, people will see his limited resume and project things he has never been able to do.

Bunch of little guys? Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce and Chris Conley are all 6ft plus.

He isn't Hill or Hunt but that doesn't change the fact that when he was given the opportunity he showed that he could produce. Not everyone can have someone of Hill's caliber and few will tolerate Hunt. I do think its clear that everyone covets that type of playmaker in today's game and they can make life easier for everyone else around them.

The man showed he could play and was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise underwhelming offense. Another season cut in half by injury and you can start to question his durability but until then hes a keeper.

He isn't Hill or Hunt but that doesn't change the fact that when he was given the opportunity he showed that he could produce. Not everyone can have someone of Hill's caliber and few will tolerate Hunt. I do think its clear that everyone covets that type of playmaker in today's game and they can make life easier for everyone else around them.

The man showed he could play and was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise underwhelming offense. Another season cut in half by injury and you can start to question his durability but until then hes a keeper.

I didn't say he couldn't play.

Just alot of unearned hype over a guy with 13 career TDS over 5 seasons.

I don't think Amendola is going anywhere. They are bringing in is old WR coach to be offensive coordinator. Hell, they will probably extend him.

Not much for most of them. At best a late round pick for one or two of them. I should have been more specific when I first posted. When I said "trade all over 30" I meant TRY to trade everyone over 30 and see if you find any takers. I don't expect it but sometimes it happens.
I hear ya. It would be nice if we could get something in return but the reality of the NFL is guys over 30 are the dreaded combo of injury prone and higher salary. This forces teams to merely release them.

I don’t see a single player over 30 on Miami that’s tradeable with the exception of RT for a late round pick at best.

It occasionally happens, but we really don't have any veterans with substantial trade value, if any trade value at all.

For the Phins, it's an even bigger issue because of the unwise contracts we have given out.

Jones, for example, might a guy that some team would be willing to give a 4th for, but not with that contract.
Exactly. Nobody will take that contract on. They will just wait for the release.

Back
Top Bottom