Dolphins fans are funny | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins fans are funny

i dont know exactly how much is to sign rookies but i know theres something. And i think we are shopping surtain because why not get something for him before he walks for free?

aj feeley was not worth a 2nd round pick unless he turns into a probowler. I would take a 2nd round pick for surtain. Reggie Howard needs to be the #2 corner we signed him to a big contract. Yes, he did horrible last year, but he was playing the nickel package which is WAY WAY different than just playing as the #2 corner. Also with drafting Will Poole i see no need for surtain. Why not pickup a solid player in the draft to replace surtain? I think Rick Speilman has great evaluating skills, he just lacks negociation skills to the extreme. I'm sure we will pick up someone good with that 2nd round pick, if we land it.

i dont know exactly how much is to sign rookies but i know theres something. And i think we are shopping surtain because why not get something for him before he walks for free?

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to shop Surtain, but we can use the franchise tag you know next year and next year, there will be a whole new set of circumstances whereby we can trim fat. The better strategy, I believe is to keep your best players and cut your lesser players. I know that sounds obvious, but there seems to be this unrealistic fear of the cap hit next year - like it would be devastating to pay Pat Surtain 8.9 Million next year to play for us. But in reality, if you carry his salary this year, then you're somehow able to sign McMichael to an extension, then we will have the OPTION of tagging him, or letting him go.

Don't you all think it's odd that Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander, two players that were killing their respective teams - salary cap wise last year - were eventually franchised and the respective teams were able to work the salaries around them so that they could afford to keep their good players. Would it have made sense to trade Edgerrin James last year when he was in a similar situation to Surtain's? Polian not only kept Edge, he signed Manning to that huge contract.

What did Seattle do? they had Hasselback, Jones and Alexander. We thought for sure they would lose one of them, and they didn't. they kept them all.

The good teams find a way to keep their best players. You're not going to get very far when you start trading your best players for 2nd or 3rd rounders. It devalues your team.

miamirw said:
I understand the reasoning behind wanting to shop Surtain, but we can use the franchise tag you know next year and next year, there will be a whole new set of circumstances whereby we can trim fat. The better strategy, I believe is to keep your best players and cut your lesser players. I know that sounds obvious, but there seems to be this unrealistic fear of the cap hit next year - like it would be devastating to pay Pat Surtain 8.9 Million next year to play for us. But in reality, if you carry his salary this year, then you're somehow able to sign McMichael to an extension, then we will have the OPTION of tagging him, or letting him go.

Don't you all think it's odd that Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander, two players that were killing their respective teams - salary cap wise last year - were eventually franchised and the respective teams were able to work the salaries around them so that they could afford to keep their good players. Would it have made sense to trade Edgerrin James last year when he was in a similar situation to Surtain's? Polian not only kept Edge, he signed Manning to that huge contract.

What did Seattle do? they had Hasselback, Jones and Alexander. We thought for sure they would lose one of them, and they didn't. they kept them all.

The good teams find a way to keep their best players. You're not going to get very far when you start trading your best players for 2nd or 3rd rounders. It devalues your team.

Trading Surtain is also about having balance on both sides of the ball salary cap wise.

Look at the REALLY good teams. I think the Patriots and the Eagles are the only two really good teams in the league right now. They have balance on both sides of the ball salary cap wise. They have their highly paid superstars BUT they also don't throw around mega deals like crazy...they pick and choose who should get them.

They also know when to get rid of a player. They get rid of them a year early rather then a year late. This is a business. Look at the Pats. They dump Lawyer Milloy...the captain of their defense. They get rid of Ty Law, Drew Bledsoe. The Eagles let their whole damn secondary go last offseason. they let Hugh Douglas walk the year after he made the Pro Bowl.

We need to balance the payscale on our team. Having all of our money invested on defense and having nothing on offense is how we got to the point we are at.

Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Sam Madison are the hearts of the defense. They are making the big dough and that is fine with me. But piling on more money on defensive players is not the way to win in todays NFL...we need to add on offense while bringing in younger defensive players.

Your example of the Colts is perfect. Yes they managed to keep the triplets and Brandon Stokely when everyone thought they would lose one....what is that going to get them?

Another playoff a$$ kicking because all their money is on offense and their defense will never be good until they balance that out.

The Seabags will end up the same way. I agree with locking up Walter Jones and Hasselbeck but there is a reason they are shopping Alexander to anyone who will listen. They know they can find a back somewhere and they also know they need to have some balance payscale wise.

unifiedtheory said:
Trading Surtain is also about having balance on both sides of the ball salary cap wise.

Look at the REALLY good teams. I think the Patriots and the Eagles are the only two really good teams in the league right now. They have balance on both sides of the ball salary cap wise. They have their highly paid superstars BUT they also don't throw around mega deals like crazy...they pick and choose who should get them.

They also know when to get rid of a player. They get rid of them a year early rather then a year late. This is a business. Look at the Pats. They dump Lawyer Milloy...the captain of their defense. They get rid of Ty Law, Drew Bledsoe. The Eagles let their whole damn secondary go last offseason. they let Hugh Douglas walk the year after he made the Pro Bowl.

We need to balance the payscale on our team. Having all of our money invested on defense and having nothing on offense is how we got to the point we are at.

Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Sam Madison are the hearts of the defense. They are making the big dough and that is fine with me. But piling on more money on defensive players is not the way to win in todays NFL...we need to add on offense while bringing in younger defensive players.

Your example of the Colts is perfect. Yes they managed to keep the triplets and Brandon Stokely when everyone thought they would lose one....what is that going to get them?

Another playoff a$$ kicking because all their money is on offense and their defense will never be good until they balance that out.

The Seabags will end up the same way. I agree with locking up Walter Jones and Hasselbeck but there is a reason they are shopping Alexander to anyone who will listen. They know they can find a back somewhere and they also know they need to have some balance payscale wise.

agreed also if u look at it we are sorta in the same situation as the ravens, great D and lacking O

F150&Dolfan said:
I've always kind of agreed with this thinking. When we first caught wind of Surtain wanting to be traded everybody had 1st rounder aspirations. As time went on most poeple were willing to settle for a 2nd and now I think there are poeple who would actually be happy with a 3rd or 4th this year and a pick next year. That's ridiculous, we need to stop acting like we HAVE to trade Surtain just because he wants to be traded. The Dolphins FO doesn't owe Pat Surtain squat and can do nothing for him if they want. We shouldn't trade him for an even deal we should only trade him in a deal that we get the better of. Shutdown corners are hard to come by in this League and with very average guys like Freddie Smoot, Ken Lucas and Baxter (former Raven) getting big bucks in free agency that should solidify our arguement. Not one of those guys could start at corner for Miami and would have to compete for playing time at nickel back.

My biggest point is the Dolphins are not in the Business of making Surtain happy. They're in the business of getting the best they can for him. and building a winning franchise.

smoot, baxter, and lucas wouldn't start? not even in the nickel sets?... they'd be hell of a back up anyway.

I don't think Surtain is the 3rd best CB in the NFL, I actually think he's probably the 3rd best CB in the Afc East behind Madison and Clements.

Come on man what are you smoking....do you recall what Corey Dillon and Terell Owens were acquired for last year?.....That would be a second rounder! If we get a second rounder for Pat that would be ideal. Pat is good. Probably one of the best cover corners in the league but his best years are past him and his health is a concern. Trade him for a second rounder and put your faith in our young stud in the making Will Poole.

Edgerrin and Shaun Alexander did not actually sign a contract, they signed the franchise tender, so they could still walk next year, and this teams are paying them 9 M a year. the CB tender next year is probably going to be something like 11 M. And we might need that franchise tag for McMichael

djfresh47 said:
I don't think Surtain is the 3rd best CB in the NFL, I actually think he's probably the 3rd best CB in the Afc East behind Madison and Clements.
No way.

Back
Top Bottom