Dolphins Fans What About Will Grier At #48? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Fans What About Will Grier At #48?

I like Will Grier, and I wouldn't lament it if we spent a mid-rounder on him, but I can't help but worry about replacing our longterm starting QB who could never elevate his play when it came to solidifying a full season effort with a guy who also tended to be really disappointing in big games.

I like slimms colt McCoy comp. although I think Grier makes even worse decisions with the football.

Wreckless is the word id use off that senior bowl week of 11 on 11. Thinks he’s got a cannon mentality wise and yeah nope

Just throw it up there.

Grier is 24+ years of age and you never want to get a QB who is that old on draft day.
Grier is not in the elite class of quarterbacks because of non-elite arm talent. He made very few elite passes in college and has trouble zipping it far.
Grier's frame is also not ideal, at 6-2, 215, and he took too many sacks in college, which is a bad combination -- less than ideal frame, sacks, and not elite arm talent is a bad combo.

One thing to like about Grier is that he is a gangsta, scores a ton, and throws it deep. The problem is, the ball often hangs in the air.

Will Grier is not a first round quarterback, and the Dolphins have no need for any player who is not first round value, let alone a QB who is not elite, first round value.

In this draft the Dolphins should move up and get an elite quarterback.

Moving up for an elite QB makes sense if there is an elite QB. We've got a QB who is almost certain to go #1 overall and not to us, a guy in Drew Lock who is well-liked in this draft because it's a weaker class than usual, and a guy in Haskins who I'm not sure actually has NFL level passing skills or pocket presence but was great in a system that every QB has been great in and has some tools.

We can't solve the QB problem the same way we tried to solve it with Tannehill. Drafting a flawed prospect just because you want your QB of the future doesn't actually give you a legitimate QB of the future. I don't know that Grier solves the problem, but I think a Grier in the mid-rounds is an immensely better value than a Haskins in the first. And I think Grier has a better chance of success in the NFL than Haskins, as even his projection as a longterm backup may ultimately be better than what Haskins becomes if he flames out.

I like slimms colt McCoy comp. although I think Grier makes even worse decisions with the football.

Wreckless is the word id use off that senior bowl week of 11 on 11. Thinks he’s got a cannon mentality wise and yeah nope

Just throw it up there.

But that is something that can be trained out of him. He's not the strongest armed guy but he is a natural passer who does exposure himself against stronger teams than normal. I think its harder to teach a stronger armed guy to learn how to make plays when he hasn't shown that yet...it took Tannehill some 5 years to start making big plays and sadly when he started doing that his own poor pocket presence and feel for the game prevented him from harnessing it for extended stretches. Henne never learned how to make plays and actually regressed in this matter.

But that is something that can be trained out of him. He's not the strongest armed guy but he is a natural passer who does exposure himself against stronger teams than normal. I think its harder to teach a stronger armed guy to learn how to make plays when he hasn't shown that yet...it took Tannehill some 5 years to start making big plays and sadly when he started doing that his own poor pocket presence and feel for the game prevented him from harnessing it for extended stretches. Henne never learned how to make plays and actually regressed in this matter.

Yeah that’s true. And if you don’t coach it out of him there will be a lot of fair catch ints.

If I’m gonna go the gunslinger mentality I don’t want it to be a pop gun he’s bringing to the fight

We can't solve the QB problem the same way we tried to solve it with Tannehill. .

Incorrect. That is exactly how you solve the QB problem. You do not roll with Chad Henne and wait for next year, and next year, and next year.

Moreover, Tannehill was not elite when he was drafted, and Haskins is, and so is Lock.

Incorrect. That is exactly how you solve the QB problem. You do not roll with Chad Henne and wait for next year, and next year, and next year.

Moreover, Tannehill was not elite when he was drafted, and Haskins is, and so is Lock.

I really can't remember anytime recently when a team overdrafted a QB in the mid first round and had it work out. I know I'm going to miss one or two, but you can't make a guy a better prospect just by drafting him high.

I really can't remember anytime recently when a team overdrafted a QB in the mid first round and had it work out. I know I'm going to miss one or two, but you can't make a guy a better prospect just by drafting him high.

Overdrafted?!?

Haskins and Lock are top 2 players in any draft, they are elite. Better than Myles Garrett, better than Quinnen Williams, better than Bosa, bettr than Laurence Taylor, better than any HoF non QB, because they are ELITE QBS!! There is no overdrafting!
The Dolphins need an elite QB, first and foremost. And they do not need anything else but that right now.

There is no saving Chris Grier's and Dolphins' face on this. They still have not moved up to the top of the draft to get the QB, and they are idiots. Just like they were complete morons last year, and the year before, and the year before. Which is why they should fired immediately!

I like Grier but WV is one of those offenses where a QB’s numbers can look all world when the skills ultimately don’t end up translating to NFL success. If he’s there in rounds 3-4 I’d give him a look, but no higher.

Back
Top Bottom