Dolphins Fire Ol Coach Pat Flaherty; Dave Deguglielmo Promoted | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Fire Ol Coach Pat Flaherty; Dave Deguglielmo Promoted

I’ve calmed down lol. I was just pissed because everyone was misinterpreting what I was trying to say (and as a huge Flores supporter, I thought p4e was being unfair by calling me a Flores hater, which I have never been, even one iota). Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough either, so that’s why I clarified what I was ultimately getting at in my last post. It’s all good.

I’ve calmed down lol. I was just pissed because everyone was misinterpreting what I was trying to say (and as a huge Flores supporter, I thought p4e was being unfair by calling me a Flores hater, which I have never been, even one iota). Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough either, so that’s why I clarified what I was ultimately getting at in my last post. It’s all good.
Tough sometimes when you're trying to get a point across typing. Things often get misconstrued and the point is glossed over. Glad to see your well-grounded again. :up:

I can’t think of a time a coach was fired this early in the season for “reasons.” I want to put on the rose colored glasses but however this is spun it looks bad because they never should’ve hire this guy. And holding players and coaches accountable is all well and fine until it’s a superstar messing up and a head coach messing up. Credibility built on nothing doesn’t last long.

I hope we can use the same decisiveness when evaluating Rosen. There's patience, and then there's stupidity.

I doubt we will ever have enough information to make a reasonable call as to whether this was justified or rash, or whether there was a mistake in hiring Flaherty in the place, and ultimately whether this is a thumbs up or thumbs down for Flores (which is what a lot of people seem to want to declare).

If something isn't working then it's right to change it, as long as you're sure it isn't and can't ever work, but without knowing the full details you can't say whether Flaherty should never have been hired in the first place. It's impossible to even know if this move would have been made if Googley Bear wasn't already in place as assistant/analyst/translator/whatever.

Interesting...

Sometimes you hire guys with good credentials, and good references (hell, Manning will tell anyone who will listen what a great coach Gase is) and it doesn't workout. From the Rapoport report it sounds like he wasn't communicating what the coach wanted. Coach most likely became fed up with the poor results and made a move. I don't know what it says in the long run, but I do appreciate men who recognize their mistakes and fix it as soon as possible.

I think Flo can handle personalities. To me, either Flahery was too good and jeopardizing a top pick or too bad and jeopardizing wins

I can’t think of a time a coach was fired this early in the season for “reasons.” I want to put on the rose colored glasses but however this is spun it looks bad because they never should’ve hire this guy. And holding players and coaches accountable is all well and fine until it’s a superstar messing up and a head coach messing up. Credibility built on nothing doesn’t last long.

It has happened before just not this early. Jeff Jagodzinski got fired as OC of the Bucs right before week 1 due to concerns about how long it took to communicate plays. There are multiple people relieved of duties within the first month of the season.

Is this good or bad? you can look at it both ways. But if you don't feel a coach is doing what you and the rest of the staff wants you get rid of him.

They probably shouldn't have hired him. Yet, I have to give them credit for recognizing the mistake and dealing with it right away. There are too many people that would try to ride it out instead of admitting their mistake and dealing with it.

That's a serious plus in my book.

Since when is a Position coach that is not the QB such a key hiring. OL coaches are recycled all over the league, why? Because in one scheme they may be great in another scheme they may not. It isn’t about 4 days of Practice it is about the entire Offseason and 4 days of Practice if the OL isn’t where the HC wants them to be scheme wise and the OL coach isn’t teaching what the HC wants well time to move on. Better now than flounder all season and now as an organization you don’t know if you need players or if a new coach will fix it.

I don’t know that there’s literally anything more critical than a coach hiring his staff. That’s the foundational piece to everything. Acting as if hiring his staff is a nothing burger is just not functioning in the real world.

If you’re an assistant gunning for two jobs, one in Miami and the other someplace else, this may give you pause about the stability of the Miami job. Maybe you take another job because you’d be worried about the head guy in Miami swapping you out after four practices. It does not give an impression of stability.

Sean McDermott hasn’t proven a damn thing either, so putting him up as some bastion of superior coaching is purely laugh track material. It’s like the boy who cried wolf. You’ve come on here for years and years crowing about some latest thing you’re optimistic about, and it ends with you disappearing into the night, only to regroup months later with some reversal on the next different thing to point to. Just last off season you were overjoyed when you thought the Bills were drafting Josh Rosen. Now you’ve apparently flipped and remade yourself into the guy happy with the erratic guy with the twitter feed full of racially charged divisiveness.

In the end, no one is saying Flores was a bad hire yet. This is the kind of dysfunction, though, that will be on a list of red flags/problems if he isn’t up to the job which will be determined by the bottom line, not how the sausage is made.

Back
Top Bottom