Dolphins get down to 79 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins get down to 79

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm. 79. Is a deal imminent to fill out #80?

Clowney or Logan Ryan
Neither. I think that we save spending the money this season. We know that the salary cap comes down big time in 2021 to $175M. The financially prudent thing to do is roll over the unspent money (currently $15,046,921 per Spotrac) from this season to next year to help mitigate it. Yes, Clowney or Logan Ryan would be nice additions but this is about smart salary cap management for the future. Besides, Clowney has rejected Dolphins overtures twice before. I doubt that we give him another look.
The Dolphins are going to be in excellent salary cap shape for 2021 compared to many other teams. Top players whose contracts expire at the end of this season will be available and lots of teams simply won't have the financial flexibility to keep them. This will represent an absolutely huge opportunity to sign a top player to a good deal. The teams like New Orleans, Philadelphia, Atlanta (all currently committed to over $200M in 2021) plus Dallas (because of the Dak Prescott contract debacle) will all be vulnerable to losing very good players. Dolphins GM, Chris Grier is salivating...

Last edited:
Clowney is a nice player but not nearly worth the price he’s asking for. There are plenty of delusional kids out there but he is another who lacks self awareness. He knocked the helmet off a kid from Michigan once and has been trying to parlay that into huge money. The only way I’d take him is on a short deal for way, way, way less money than his fantastic demands. There is a lack of football IQ in his demand. He can’t figure out that the market has told him he’s way off in his self-valuation, not just this year but also last year when Houston moved him.

Comparing Clowney to Sehorn is an insult to Clowney. Clowney impacts games in ways Sehorn could only wish he could have.

Clowney also receives double teams and still affects the pocket. I agree his contract demands are unrealistic based on the market, and that he is a little bitch for rejecting us twice, but the guy can play ball. At 10 to 12 mil a year the guy would be a steal.

This team paid Ereck Flowers 10 mil a year but wont give Clowney 12 to 15 a year? That is ridiculous.

Comparing Clowney to Sehorn is an insult to Clowney. Clowney impacts games in ways Sehorn could only wish he could have.

Clowney also receives double teams and still affects the pocket. I agree his contract demands are unrealistic based on the market, and that he is a little bitch for rejecting us twice, but the guy can play ball. At 10 to 12 mil a year the guy would be a steal.

This team paid Ereck Flowers 10 mil a year but wont give Clowney 12 to 15 a year? That is ridiculous.
He's asking for way more than 12mill a year and he never wanted to play for us anyway. There are 32 teams that don't want to pay him what he's asking for, not just the Dolphins.

Clowney benefitted heavily from being in the same defense as Watt and Mercilus. He was never “the guy” in that defense and still could not produce double digit sacks as a pass rusher. Last season he finally had the opportunity to show what he could be in Seattle and he had the worst season of his career. Dude is an above average, not great, pass rusher with a history of injury issues and not much else.

One man’s opinion.

Neither. I think that we save spending the money this season. We know that the salary cap comes down big time in 2021 to $175M. The financially prudent thing to do is roll over the unspent money (currently $15,046,921 per Spotrac) from this season to next year to help mitigate it. Yes, Clowney or Logan Ryan would be nice additions but this is about smart salary cap management for the future. Besides, Clowney has rejected Dolphins overtures twice before. I doubt that we give him another look.
The Dolphins are going to be in excellent salary cap shape for 2021 compared to many other teams. Top players whose contracts expire at the end of this season will be available and lots of teams simply won't have the flexibility to keep them. This will represent an absolutely huge opportunity to sign a top player to a good deal. The teams like New Orleans and Dallas will be vulnerable.

I agree about saving cap space for next year.

But the Cap might not drop all the way to 175, that is just the lowest it could go.It will probably be higher.

Back
Top Bottom