Dolphins have been awarded TE A.J. Derby off waivers per league source | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins have been awarded TE A.J. Derby off waivers per league source

I have a friend from Las Vegas who is a Broncos fan. I asked about Derby a few minutes ago and this is what he said (summarized):

Very athletic and makes an occasional spectacular play, but not instinctive and can't separate. High hopes entering the season but weaknesses surfaced. Fumbles quite a bit which is what got him in the doghouse with fans. Not bad on special teams. Some Denver fans were surprised when he was let go, but the team has so many problems right now they weren't going to care about the release of a backup tight end, other than ripping Elway for giving away another 5th round pick for nothing.

That's about it. Only the last part surprised me. I didn't realize they had traded for Derby, or that Denver has a similar tendency to ours in giving away later round picks.

During my friend's summary I couldn't help but thinking that Derby sounds like a tight end version of Devante Parker. And that's not bad, given the price we paid.

10576.jpg

Dolphins claimed TE AJ Derby off waivers from the Broncos.

Rashawn Scott was waived in the corresponding roster move. A shoulder injury sidelined Derby earlier this month, but he must be trending toward full health if Miami was willing to use a waiver claim on him. He gives the Fins some depth behind starter Julius Thomas.

Ozzy rules!!

My surprise is that now we have 4 TE's and one less WR which is fine. I wonder if he'll even be active. I don't want to put the guy down but we sure do like bringing in guys with injury history. Nothing to lose on this move thought as we didn't give up any picks for him

Ozzy rules!!

A.J. Derby‘s tour of the AFC will continue in Miami.

Derby, who was traded from the Patriots to the Broncos last year and waived by the Patriots this year, has been awarded to the Dolphins on waivers.

The Broncos placed Derby on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, then waived him off injured reserve. It’s unclear whether he’ll be healthy enough to play for the Dolphins immediately. He had 19 catches for 224 yards and two touchdowns this season in Denver.

The Dolphins waived wide receiver Rashawn Scott to make room for Derby on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/29/dolphins-claim-a-j-derby-off-waivers-from-broncos/

I like the fact that Gase and the front office is still out there looking to make the roster better even if it's not a splashy move.

I’m cool with this. Likely more comp for gray in 2018 than anything else

Scott was marginal at best

Back
Top Bottom