dolphins have engaged talks with the raiders and browns | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

dolphins have engaged talks with the raiders and browns

With training camp and the weight room I think he'll be ok back on the right side and as a back up left tackle in emergencies.
I want something better protecting Ryan's blind side.

We didn't do a really bad job of protecting Tannehill last year. Not great but, we did a good job. Stay put, draft best player available. If John Jerry comes to OTAs in shape, we are in a very good position. BPA.

Wallace was a great pick up and certainly opens things up, but I wouldn't go that far. We could certainly use more upgrades there. As for RB, it's still an unknown at this point. We know Thomas sucks and that Miller has a lot of potential, but that's about it. TE was upgraded with Keller, but a 2 TE set would be amazing (Eifert, Ertz, etc.). We also need better pass rush opposite Wake and our secondary still has holes outside of Grimes and Jones. So, OT is not our only need. If one falls to us, I'm all for it. But trading up? No thanks.

A lot of people here are overestimating our WR corps, of course that is to be expected because it has at least been upgraded somewhat. But I agree, we should not sit tight with where its currently at, it can significantly improve with the proper draft selections.

A good point was making in one of the twitter feeds on the side . It was that the times Tannehill struggled last year were mainly because of protection break downs not so much from lack of play makers.

i have not studied the film but that sounds right to me. I have hope for Martin but he was very mediocre if not bad at LT . Garner was our starter at RT and we all know he's just a back up. This definitely needs to be upgraded if we want Ryan to have a chance to succeed.
So the inability of our extremely weak WR corps to get separation had nothing to do with that?

Raider trade a couple picks to get Matt Flynn. Now they don't need to spend an early pick on a QB so badly. Maybe this helps make a deal with them to move up to their slot, give them our 12, a 2nd and 3rd.

On Tannehill's issues last year. Part of the problem is pass protection, he was hurried plenty. Part was an inability of our WR to make much room to throw, small windows. Part was 8 and 9 in the box last year allowing defenses more exotic blitzes, they weren't getting burned over the top.

So the inability of our extremely weak WR corps to get separation had nothing to do with that?
Of course and they have started to address that with Wallace and Keller. Just include the OL in the discussion unless you are content with players we had now. i am not.
I'm not saying do anything to get a LT. I'm just saying with 5 picks early an OL upgrade is a must.

I totally understand the negative reaction to the news about trading up for a top LT, I really do. I just... I don't know. It's disappointing we don't feel confident enough in our abilities to draft a guy either in the 2nd or 3rd round that would contribute. I just don't like the idea of blowing our #12 and #42 on another lineman, while I feel you don't need a top LT in the league.

**** had I thought this were a real possibility I would have been cheering for Jake Long @ 9 mil per

The dropoff from the top 3 OTs to the next one is HUGE.

Of course and they have started to address that with Wallace and Keller. Just include the OL in the discussion unless you are content with players we had now. i am not.
I'm not saying do anything to get a LT. I'm just saying with 5 picks early an OL upgrade is a must.

Never once said nothing needs to be done with the O-line. You certainly don't need to pick cornfed in the first every year to fix it though, and you most certainly don't need to trade up to do it.

The dropoff from the top 3 OTs to the next one is HUGE.

Only in the START NOW category. If you're willing to wait a year, not so much...

Which means: It's worth the money to acquire a starting LT for a year, imo. Save two high draft picks.

LD

Never once said nothing needs to be done with the O-line. You certainly don't need to pick cornfed in the first every year to fix it though, and you most certainly don't need to trade up to do it.
The OP suggested trading up not me. if one of the 3 top tackles is still there at #12 that should be the pick in my opinion. That's really all i'm saying.

Lets look at it this way. IF we trade up to get an OT or we stay put to get an OG our pass protection is greatly improved. As alluded to a few posts ago - there wil be less guys in the box, a better O Line (via draft pic), and more experience from current guys (Maybe Martin hits the weight room or Jerry puts down the fork). Either way our guys who score have more time to score or more room to run. An OLine pic isn't the worst thing in the world - especially if you can get over your Tavon man crush.

Besides, why not draft to protect your franchise QB with the best/affordable protection around?

Don't know what that has to do with our inability to improve our offensive line with anything but top picks. And if it is true that Martin was drafted as a RT in the second round, I expect a hell of a lot more. A second round RT should never be a project. 2nd round LT? Sure, I expect a little work being needed, but not RT.

And not sure where you are getting your rumors about Philbin's input. I'm sure he had plenty of input in all of the picks.

Martin was not a project or he would not have been a starter from day one and play left tackle the last 4 games as a rookie. Project don't do that in anybody's book that has sound judgement. I got my input on Philbins input from some of the more respected posters on this board who follow that info rather closely. Philbin had input on the style of players he wants for sure the players themselves not so much in last years draft. As for comments about the efforts in the offensive line reads Hoops posts we are rebuilding there along with every other area of the team after we changed the offensive and defensive schemes last year. Fans were clamoring for this change agains and it comes with the cost of a new coach they gut the team in most cases and it is a do over. IMO which is a leading factor in why we have been loosing consisitently since Shula with only Dave W delivering a few winning seasons around here. Dave W won not because he was a great coach but he kept the players the JJ drafted and kept the consientcy of schemes in place and tried to build on them.

Back
Top Bottom