Dolphins have some serious roster holes? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins have some serious roster holes?

If someone wants to say the line has issues that is fine though I think the unit can be okay and has sufficient depth.

However, to say the DB's have "more" questions than last year is plain dumb. Sean Smith is the only departure. His play was inconsistent at best. Brent Grimes replaces him and is at least as good. Between the two rookies and Marshall returning to health, this unit has to be considered at LEAST a little better, but certainly not worse.

BTW, I like the depth and competition that we will have in the secondary this spring.

This biggest issue Miami faces is not what Rosenthal expresses, but its putting all the new parts together and making it work. That is on the coaching staff to come up big.

Jonathan Martin was drafted last year specifically to replace Jake Long. He's been groomed for this since day 1, thus initially was always considered the #1 choice to take over the LT position. Yes, Jeff Ireland explored other options along the way but what he eventually settled with was supposed to be the original plan. Sorry if I'm the one to just now tell you that but that's what you're now currently seeing in action.

So unfortunately your clueless tally has been counted, thanks for playing...:survivor:

I thought the same when Martin was drafted in that he would have a year to get ready to replace Long's big contract, and I really liked the pick but "Life Is What Happens When You're Busy Making Other Plans."

The coaches had a year to see and work with Martin. They decided that the team would be better with Long at LT, Martin at RT, and made Long a substantial offer which did not work out.

Then, they decided that the team would be better with Albert at LT, Martin at RT, and tried to trade for him which did not work out. Now, we have Martin and Clabo as our OT's, and this was the team's third choice.

I can't say if the team did not like Martin at LT or, liked him more at RT. Maybe having an athletic RT for Tannehill's roll outs, etc was something they thought would be better for RT and the team. I do not know.

However, even Stevie Wonder can see that our current starting OT's are the team's third choice.

The evidence wasnt compelling enough for Ireland. He tried to hand Long a huge contract. He tried to trade a high draft pick for Albert. Neither of those moves says "i think Martin is a natural".

Pretty sure the reason the Albert trade didn't happen is because Ireland would not give up a high draft pick.
On Long, I'm not sure if it was all about the money. The Dolphins obviously had more money to spend than they offered him.
imo, they feel ok with Martin at LT, but would upgrade at the right price. If they were desperate, they could have easily pulled the trigger for either Long or Albert

You don't get to change the argument once you have been shown to be wrong. Your statement that Ireland "drafted Martin specifically to replace Long" is just bull****. Ireland himself even stated that. But now we have folks saying that, "we can't believe the GM." What a load of crap.

I guess the argument for you guys is, "Ireland doesn't even know what he drafted Martin for...we know better than Ireland himself....we know all!!!" Well thank you god for clarifying that....

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

You guys and "revisionist thinking" is just precious. You're so cute...

Nothing revisionist about it. Just reality. I apologize that you cannot handle it...

Is it possible that the whole Albert deal was just a smokescreen to hide our plans on Jordan? Because I remember draft day and when we moved up, there might be a couple Fins fan who jumped off the building too soon thinking it was for OL, small sample size but I remember thinking it was official we had drafted a linemen reading the reaction here on the chat... Nobody, and I really mean NOBODY! expected us to pick Jordan after the trade up. Isnt it plausible that this was all planned for? I don't know... But reality is nobody fraking knows what are or were their intentions with Martin...

Of course, the old "its not true because i dont want it to be true".

And the premise your question is based on is flawed. Your presuming, without any evidence, that Martin was drafted to be a left tackle. You decided upon an answer before even typing that question.

Ireland drafted Martin to play the position he played last season, right tackle. He offered Long $9 million dollars. He tried to trade for Albert. In both actions and words, Ireland wanted Martin to be a right tackle. It was only after every other circumstance failed did we kick him over to the left side.

Soooooo, you are saying, with knowledge I guess, that Ireland knew Long would leave and the LT we drafted a year earlier wouldn't be good enough to take Long's place? Are you saying Ireland had no clue Long might leave when he drafted Martin? Ireland has proven he deserves more credit than that. Ireland may have, in the best possible situation, expected to sign Long back at a reasonable price, although his play was decreasing drastically and have Martin at RT. That is a possibility but, I believe Ireland new Long may leave and he prepared the team for it. Besides, you're wrong, I was simply saying no GM will ever say they drafted a player to replace a star already on the team, on any team, any GM. NONE!!!! Unless someone is unhappy and making noise.

Maybe Philbin should get Marc Colombo on the phone, that worked great when Tony added vet o-line presence.

Back
Top Bottom